LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Podcasts thread. A thread about podcasts.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:17 AM, Angel P said:

I’m enjoying season 3 of Serial where Sarah is covering the criminal justice system in Cleveland. 

I recently finished season 1 and really enjoyed it, but heard season 2 wasn't that great.  Do I skip 2 and go straight to 3?

Also, I'm probably late to the party, but I just started on "Lore" and am really enjoying that.  It's nice that the (early) episodes are relatively short, so that I get through an entire one in a single trip from home to work and vice-versa.  Watched the first episode of the show on Amazon and liked that, too.

Joel, I agree Season 2 wasn’t on par with season one. You can skip it. If anything, season 3 relates more to season 1 than 2 tho it’s not regarding Adnan Sayed. 

• Like 1

I've fallen in and out of podcasts, and I'm recently back in.  Been listening to Business Wars, and I won't be the first or last person to make this bad observation: I think the host sounds like Casey Kasem. 

I had no interest in some of the latest “seasons” of Business Wars but I’ve enjoyed them all: Hasbro vs Mattel, Ferrari vs Lamborghini, a revisit of the Netflix vs Blockbuster series, Anheuser-Busch vs Miller.

They’ve now started a Sports Wars podcast with a different host: Favre vs Rodgers and Federer vs Nadal.  Jordan vs Isiah is the current season.  

With the job I started in Sept, I listen to stuff all day. Mostly a mix of music, audio books, and  My current list of podcast/vid casts I listen to....

The Dungeon Run-my latest favorite. It’s a D&D show, which I watch live, but still DL the podcast version to listen to if my list is empty.

Critical Roll-Just started with S2

/Filmcast

/FilmDaily

Empire Film 

Inside of You With Michael Rosenbaum

Team Covenant-Tabletop Gaming(currently on hiatus)

Crit Camp gaming-Twitch show-Mostly Keyforge these days, and some other tabletop games mixed in

Pod Save America (on and off depending on my mood)

DLC (depends on the topics of the week.)

Even though I have stopped watching most wrestling, still enjoy interviews with wrestlers. They all have fascinating stories

Chris Van Fliet (great wrestling interviews)-Listen to all them

Chris Jericho-Listen to wrestling guests and a few other topics I find interesting

Lillian Garcia- hit or miss. Some interviews are really good, others not so much

I also started downloading a bunch of  sci-fi/horror original audio dramas this week on the recommendation of a person I work with. First one is pretty good so far.

There are many others I have in my app, but I pick and choose episodes depending on the topic. 

What podcasts apps do you guys like on IOS? I have been using Apples, but the more stuff I add to it, the more it sucks. Spotify is missing things I listen to. Breaker I am trying now, and seems to work good, minus a few hiccups. I can import your subs from Itunes. I like the social part of it where you can see what your friends listen to, but no one uses it, lol.

I’ve used Downcast for years. It mostly does what I want it to do, but it’s oversights are a bit frustrating (mainly its inability to create custom playlists easily). 

It does give you a ton of control with its settings and individual show settings though, which I love. 

I’ve had Overcast sitting on my phone for forever and tried to switch recently for a particular reason, but it was missing so many customization features and had a way of dealing with episodes that I found too frustrating. 

I’ve never liked Apple’s podcast app. The only reason I’d even consider using it would be for better Siri/Shortcut support. 

I’m on Overcast. Doesn’t leak files the way Podcasts does; I got sick and tired of having to delete and reinstall Podcasts every couple of months because it’s incapable of cleaning its mess up. 

• Like 1

I actually ditched Overcast a while back and went back to Apple’s own app. On iOS it seems to behave fine for me, whereas podcasts under iTunes are a pain in the arse that I cannot wait to see go away and replaced with the dedicated Mac version of Podcasts that I hope syncs better.

Finally started American Scandal.  Seasons 1 (New York State of Mind - Eliot Spitzer) and 2 (Iran Contra) are quite fascinating.

I’ve only listened to 3 of the many podcast shows on Wondery but I prefer the narration by Lindsay Graham on this show over David Brown on Business Wars and Dan Rubinstein on Sports Wars.  

Anyone listening to Crimetown? They focus each season on a city and delve into organized crime in it. The first season was about Providence, RI, and the second (current) season is about Detroit. The first was great and the second is even better. Living in Toledo, I'm familiar with some of the Detroit stuff, although so far it's mostly been before my time (or at least before I was paying attention). The next episode is going to cover Kwame Kilpatrick, who was definitely not before my time :)

I’ll have to check it out. I’ve been to Providence on business several times and eaten many a great meal on Federal Hill.

• Like 1

I’ll check it out as well. 

EDIT:  Wow, 18 episodes not including multiple bonus episodes?  😳

• Like 1

I really like Song Exploder - which describes itself thusly... "a podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made."

12 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I really like Song Exploder - which describes itself thusly... "a podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made."

Ed you might also like Rick Beato on YouTube.  He has a series "What makes this song great" where he deconstructs songs based on music theory. Mostly on classic rock songs.

Carlos.

• Like 2

An update my search for a podcast app I like.

I really like Breaker, but it has a nasty glitch when you pause. It skips back to a random spot. If they fix it I would use it.

I then tried The podcast App but it I need sync between multiple devices.

So now I will try Overcast. Why is there not a perfect app for this already.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:58 AM, Carlucci said:

Ed you might also like Rick Beato on YouTube.  He has a series "What makes this song great" where he deconstructs songs based on music theory. Mostly on classic rock songs.

Carlos.

Rick Beato is great. And he's not afraid to jump from various genres, from Pantera to Pop music - he offers production insights, chords used.. great series. Not to mention he has a genius kid that has perfect pitch...so envious :)

Oh and BTW Gibson vs Fender us up on Business War podcasts :)

On 6/28/2019 at 10:25 PM, JoeyN said:

An update my search for a podcast app I like.

I really like Breaker, but it has a nasty glitch when you pause. It skips back to a random spot. If they fix it I would use it.

I then tried The podcast App but it I need sync between multiple devices.

So now I will try Overcast. Why is there not a perfect app for this already.

I use Overcast, it’s a very solid app. 

• Like 1

I've been using one called BeyondPod for a while now, but lately there's been some compatibility issues, especially with Android Auto.  Tried Pocket Casts, but the two problems it had were no support for password protected feeds (other than a hack where you put your credentials in the URI), and no auto playlists.  Not sure if anything else out there has the same feature as BeyondPod where I can set up a playlist to say "play the latest N epispdes of X, then the oldest M episodes of Y" etc. 

16 hours ago, kelley said:

I use Overcast, it’s a very solid app. 

I have used it the last few days, and its staying. Simple, and easy to navigate. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions .

This is also available as a podcast, and you may have heard some buzz about it.  It is an extraordinary account of our journey to the moon by Bill Whittle.  Absolutely fantastic. This is better than any other documentaries I have seen on the 50th anniversary, and I've seen a lot.

Carlos.

• Like 3