LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

House of Cards

After watching S5, there is more then enough for more then s6. S5 was terrific in every way. A lot of twists and turns. The ending, and what is to come , made the wait just as bad as the end of a Game of Thrones season.

Was already going to be cancelled. Netflix's just helping to deflect their own plans with the timing. 

26 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Was already going to be cancelled. Netflix's just helping to deflect their own plans with the timing. 

Yeah maybe... it definitely was out of steam.

The whole appeal of House of Cards was seeing Frank's ambition from getting revenge to finally getting the White House.  And once he got that power, he sort of flails about until he all of a sudden

Spoiler

says the ultimate power isn't running the White House, but controlling it?  Couldn't he have arrived at that same conclusion before all those shenanigans?

Season 5 just meandered from one plot point to the next.  Part of me is disappointed we won't see a proper conclusion to this series, but the other part is shrugging its shoulders.  I could do without Season 6.

I liked Season 5 and its amazing how prescient it was to some of the 2016 election events at times. It wasn't the shows strongest but it was a metric ton better than S4 which was the shows weakest by far.

• Like 1

There's twitter comments saying they want Frank killed and Claire to continue with the rest of the seasons. I'm not opposed to that :)

Well the rumors of continuing may be true as Netflix announced they fired him from house of cards, and his movie Gore.

Anyone else watched the last season yet?  I made it through the end this weekend, and it's...not great.

Spoilers for the whole season...

I really liked the idea of focusing on Robin Wright this time around, but the story was just a complete mess.  Much more of a "we're going to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks" approach.  The way that Claire was being treated at the beginning really bothered me, which I figured was the point, and the whole time it was basically "don't worry, there's a plan", but where I was expecting something on the level of Titus Andronicus or the end of the original Godfather (which I suppose we sort of got when Tom, Cathy, etc all got killed), that wasn't the end of the series.  Instead, the "grand plan" was to have Claire hide out for a month, wait until the cabinet had signed the letter to invoke the 25th, and then fire them all? 

Look, they had a shitty situation to deal with, and I don't envy the task of trying to salvage it, but from a story perspective they could have done better.  I would have figured there'd be more to the pregnancy angle than there was-maybe questioning whether it was actually Frank's child, or whether the whole thing was faked/engineered as a way to garner sympathy and deflect from the abortion angle that just came and went.  Never mind the fact that the Brother/Sister "villains" of the season just showed up out of nowhere, but have actually been there the whole time, and the whole thing is a mess. 

Robin Wright did the best with what she had, and I think there was a lot of potential in showing that Claire was always the more ruthless and shrewd of the pair, but it just didn't work. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Anyone else watched the last season yet?  I made it through the end this weekend, and it's...not great.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't started the season yet, but I will go ahead and see it through since I've followed it up until now. 

2 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Hide contents

I really liked the idea of focusing on Robin Wright this time around, but the story was just a complete mess.  Much more of a "we're going to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what sticks" approach.  The way that Claire was being treated at the beginning really bothered me, which I figured was the point, and the whole time it was basically "don't worry, there's a plan", but where I was expecting something on the level of Titus Andronicus or the end of the original Godfather (which I suppose we sort of got when Tom, Cathy, etc all got killed), that wasn't the end of the series.  Instead, the "grand plan" was to have Claire hide out for a month, wait until the cabinet had signed the letter to invoke the 25th, and then fire them all? 

Look, they had a shitty situation to deal with, and I don't envy the task of trying to salvage it, but from a story perspective they could have done better.  I would have figured there'd be more to the pregnancy angle than there was-maybe questioning whether it was actually Frank's child, or whether the whole thing was faked/engineered as a way to garner sympathy and deflect from the abortion angle that just came and went.  Never mind the fact that the Brother/Sister "villains" of the season just showed up out of nowhere, but have actually been there the whole time, and the whole thing is a mess. 

Robin Wright did the best with what she had, and I think there was a lot of potential in showing that Claire was always the more ruthless and shrewd of the pair, but it just didn't work. 

I pretty much concur with all of this. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, ChrisBardon said:

Reveal hidden contents

Absolutely no sight or sound from Spacey at all. The 4th wall stuff just didn't land like it did with Spacey - it seemed unnecessary.

And that finale left me very unsatisfied, like it was cut short. Who knows how long they had for the rewrite.

I still got entertained - but mostly forgettable.