LCVG

Xbox Power Cord...

Carlucci

Just as soon as I get a new TV for my bedroom, I will be carting the Xbox back and forth. Because my power cable is plugged in way behind my entertainment center, I want to get another one, and then I can just unplug it from the back of the xbox.

Problem is, what kind of power cord is that? What is it called? It's got two-round plugs is all that I know.

Also, it seems to have one of those magnet dealies on power cord. Is that important? Would it be dangerous to use the xbox with a cord without that?

Carlos.

Originally posted by Whooter@Dec 5 2003, 09:55 AM

Magnety thing? I have no magnety thing on my Xbox power cable....

Boo! :x

Yours doesn't have that cylindrical thingy on the cable? I have no idea what it is or what benefit it provides.

I've been told in the past that it is some sort of ferrite(?) magnet shield.

Here's a link to a pic where you can see one: Xbox Power Cord

Shirley there has to be an audiophile in the house who can explain the need for this thingy on power cords.

Carlos.

Originally posted by Robot Monkey+Dec 5 2003, 11:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robot Monkey @ Dec 5 2003, 11:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Carlucci@Dec 5 2003, 12:05 PM

Shirley there has to be an audiophile in the house who can explain the need for this thingy on power cords.

It acts as a barrier to signal-degradation by Martian rays.

-j[/b]

So my tin-foil underwear isn't providing enough protection? And oh, the chafing!

<hijacks own thread>

Hey Jay, have you ever gone HERE and done a search for "monkey". Man there are a lot of other gamers out there that share your moniker.

You got your Drunk Monkey, your EvilMonkey, your Furious Monkey.

You got your Grumpy Monkey, your Luscious Monkey, your CheeseMonkey.

and that's just a start!

You should meet up with some and organize and all-monkey LIVE night!

Carlos.

Originally posted by Carlucci@Dec 5 2003, 01:05 PM

Magnety thing? I have no magnety thing on my Xbox power cable....

I've been told in the past that it is some sort of ferrite(?) magnet shield.

I don't think that cord will attract ferrets, coil or no.

If you're still interested in a real but not as entertaining :) reason for the line shields, here you go

More research on my part revealed the methodology behind the shield?s effectiveness to be fairly easy to comprehend. Radio frequencies (generally describing electromagnetic signals above about 70kHz) generate fields around them that are quite enormous. These large fields are free to couple to the multiple antennae?ah, I mean, cables?of your system. To reduce the effect of these large signals, the ferrite material in the shields creates a higher inductance in the cable, helping to attenuate the amount of electromagnetic pickup in the cable. By virtue of being partially magnetized, the material in the snap-on shields provides a source for magnetic loss, effectively creating a strong resistance to the coupling of the RFI to your antennae?er, cables.

Basically, as far as I can make out, it is a passive form of powerline cleaning.

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synerg...rgize051998.htm

Originally posted by Kain rising@Dec 5 2003, 12:28 PM

If you're still interested in a real but not as entertaining :) reason for the line shields, here you go

Ok, so I get it now. I just read the entire article.

I gave myself a chuckle as I was reading the article and suddenly in my head the dude sounded just like Professor Frink from The Simpsons, complete with a "Flaven" or two.

Very interesting read! How I wish I had the ears that these guys have! Too many years at too many rock concerts I guess.

While I can definitely distinguish between a $300 pair of speakers and a $1,000 pair, I would never be able to distinguish the difference between a $1,000 pair and a $10,000 pair. I can't even imagine being able to hear the difference with the shields on or off.

Thanks Kain!

Originally posted by Carlucci+Dec 5 2003, 12:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carlucci @ Dec 5 2003, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Thanks Kain![/b]

No problem - I learned a bit myself when reading it :D

<!--QuoteBegin-Zathras@Dec 5 2003, 12:50 PM

...causing a wormhole in time and space.

That could be a good thing, if it would let us get an Xbox 2 or maybe a bunch of copies of Halo 2. ;)

Of course, its worth bearing in mind during all this that your XBox only generates RF interference when its turned on. Since the two times I really care about sound quality are when I'm watching a film or listening to music, and I certainly don't have the XBox on during either of those activities, and the fan noise from the beast is going to be far worse than the slight interference on the line from this, I don't really care.

Originally posted by Carlucci+Dec 5 2003, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Carlucci @ Dec 5 2003, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mark Dubbelboer@Dec 5 2003, 07:43 PM

and don't call me shirley

LOL! THANK YOU!

I was wondering! They're called CLASSICS, people! You don't leave a man hanging when he tosses you a juicy line like that!

Carlos. [/b]

I honestly read the entire thread twice because i couldn't believe no one else said it...