LCVG

Sega's Simpson Suit...

Carlucci

All this will do is ensure that the remaining copies will sell out really quick.

Well, the idea is that they won't be allowed to sell.

Sega, if victorious, will have all copies of the competing game removed from store shelves, have all copies purchased recalled, as well as receive unspecified damages.

I wonder how they'll enforce any of that, though, especially the "have all copies purchased recalled". Good luck doing that!

Well I meant people will run out today and scoop them up for ebay fodder (as has been mentioned).

Uh oh - I just thought did "Simpsons Hit and Run" actually get the engine/rights or something from GTA directly?

Then there is Simpsons Skateboarding...

This just makes me think what other good games can they - Plagerize... uh Simpsonize -

Simpson's Beer Frame - Bart goes to rescue Homer from the haunted bowling alley and only has his soul grabbing viewmaster to protect himself!

Princess of Springfield - Lisa runs through the Springfield Nuclear plant using her gymnast skills to pass ingenius traps laid out by Mr. Burns to end his most recent reign of terror.

Counter-Simpsons - take control of the schoolyard by planting a cherrybomb in enemy territory.

Originally posted by Zathras@Dec 5 2003, 02:52 PM

Princess of Springfield - Lisa runs through the Springfield Nuclear plant using her gymnast skills to pass ingenius traps laid out by Mr. Burns to end his most recent reign of terror.

Shouldn't that be Prince of Springfield, with two playable characters? Bart in his ninja guise from when he was distributing take-out flyers and Lisa as a gymnast?

-j

Other people have proposed this patent as the offending one

The abstract mentions motorbikes, but the full claim is much more general discussing objects, then goes into detail about taxi cabs... It was applied for in 1997, and approved in 2001 (I think).

Anyone have an answer? I'm interested as to how close these games really are too.

As people have said, they're near identical gameplay wise.

There undoubtedly was, to some degree, for some of it. That's a pretty damn detailed patent, like most of Sega's patents for their arcade titles.

I could easily point to prior art for things like a direction arrow giving direction around a map etc.

Sega have patents covering huge chunks of game technology & concepts that we all take for granted, they just don't enforce them.

Atari (the arcade side) has/had the patent for "ghost laps" in racing games & actively enforced it in the late 90s. It was common to see devs try to find prior art (I don't think any was found).

And it should be noted that the patent isn't worded as a patent on the gameplay as such, it's a patent for a list of "inventions" to solve problems. Those inventions are essentially:

One object of the present invention is to provide a game display method and an apparatus which permits people to be present in virtual space, such as a city or others, while not permitting cruel images, as of colliding with the people to be avoided.

Another object of the present invention is to provide a moving direction indication method which can make direction indications which are easy to be understood by operators freely moved in the virtual space, such as a city or others, and a game apparatus.

Further another object of the present invention is to provide a game display method and a game apparatus which can make displays which are easily understandable for an operator who gets, in a virtual space, such as a city or others, a specific object and carries the object to a destination.

Further another object of the present invention is to provide a drive simulation method which can provide real driving feeling.

So technically they didn't patent gameplay (which you can't do), they patented "displays".