LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PC, Next Gen Hopefully!)

Ex-People Can Fly developers working on this:

the_vanishing_of_ethan_carter_1.jpg

the_vanishing_of_ethan_carter_2.jpg

the_vanishing_of_ethan_carter_3.jpg

the_vanishing_of_ethan_carter_5.jpg

In the game players take on the role of Paul Prospero who is a detective with the supernatural ability to visualize scenes of lethal crimes. As he investigates the kidnapping of a young boy, the journey leads him to a mountain area, where he finds “a severely mutilated body of one of the kidnappers.” Prospero must use both is supernatural and normal investigative abilities to solve the mysteries surrounding the events in the game as well as the purpose behind the ancient force ruling the area.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is played via a first-person perspective and players will interact with the environment in order to discover the truth. The more clues discovered, the clearer and longer Paul’s supernatural vision becomes.According to the developers, the game will not contain cutscenes and makes use of a “largely untapped medium for powerful storytelling possibilities.”

Described as “weird fiction” horror, the focus of the game will be on “atmosphere, mood, and the essential humanity of our characters,” for adult players.

There is no combat in the game and it can be experienced at the player’s own pace – it’s less about “pure terror and more about clammy unease.”

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is currently in development for PC, but the team hopes to bring it to next-gen platforms. The game is in full production, is without a set release date.

Sounds like the logical extension of -that- bit from Dear Esther that freaked me out something rotten. And visually stunning; I'm interested.

I haven't yet but positive reviews and the bit I have seen are tempting me.  $20 on Steam.  I have heard it is a bit short (3 hours?) but I'm not sure if that is an accurate description of the length.

Yea I want this one but with Mordor, Destiny and I still want to put some more time in on Diablo I will just wait on this one.

PS4 release is getting quite the make over with a move to Unreal Engine 4 (original PC release was UE3) . Fret not, PC owners. These updates will be made available to current owners at no cost along with Oculus support.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-29-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter-the-ps4-remake-the-vr-remake-and-a-brand-new-game

That studio is The Astronauts and it has a busy schedule ahead. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is coming to PS4 and, I discover, is actually being remade for the occasion using Unreal Engine 4 (the original game was UE3). That's why it's taking so long. But it's in beta and it should be out in the third-quarter of the year, he tells me. The concrete date depends on certification processes out of his control.

After, this enhanced UE4 Ethan Carter will be re-released on PC, free to existing owners of the game. And after that, work begins on Ethan Carter VR and, simultaneously, a brand new game.

On the subject of an Xbox One version:

Wait, what about Xbox One - will it come to Xbox One?

"I honestly have no idea," Chmielarz replies. "When Sony presented the game they called it 'console first'; there might be a window there. It depends on a lot of factors - it's a question of what we will be doing at this point.

"Take a look at Gone Home: these guys sold a lot of copies on PC but you don't see a console version of any kind. And it's not because they're stupid and they don't want money: something else is keeping them busy - and I think they tried and it didn't work. I cannot promise anything at this point.

"It might be that PS4 is going to be the only console, or it might be that we will sometime later do the Xbox One version - I honestly have no idea."

Maybe they'll fix the save system while they're at it. Kind of gave up on the game after losing an hour.

Just finished this. What a fantastic experience. There's a message at the beginning that this is a game that doesn't hold your hand, and how true that is. You're left to figure out how to proceed on your own. Fortunately, most every task/puzzle can be completed in any order. It's an open world that impressively has no loading screens. The world isn't really that large, and you can backtrack from the end to the beginning in a rather short time, but it's easy to get lost if you're not sure what to do next. 

However, the inability to save when you want is problem if you decide to abandon a puzzle and move on to the next one, as the progress you made in the abandoned puzzled will be wiped out once you revisit it. This frustrated me a couple of times. It's recommended to complete each puzzle as you encounter it before moving on to avoid having to start it from scratch and to avoid a lot of backtracking. 

I'm not sure how much more they can improve on the graphics, as it's already a thing of beauty. Just wandering around the environment at a leisurely pace and taking in all the details was a pleasure.

The story is engaging with a twist at the end that isn't gratuitous, but rather makes perfect sense once your understand what has taken place. Nothing seems to make any sense at first, but it all comes together piece by piece. It's a thoughtful, rewarding, tragic story. Can't wait to revisit it on the PS4. 

That link is directing to different page, and doing a search for this game yields no results. They may have pulled the pre-order for some reason.

What price were you seeing for it? I'll get if it's cheap enough; perhaps when there's a sale.

I can't recommend this game enough.

Did anyone get this for the PS4?

I just messed around a bit at the beginning (I have some stuff in the Witcher to finish before I dive in), but I can say that the graphics are utterly gorgeous - I just wandered around slowly, mesmerized at the scenery.

Seems like a steal at $20.

I started playing through the PC version finally. I just started the

the mine murder scene.

I'm enjoying the visuals, atmosphere and the way the game just lets you loose into the world and doesn't provide any direction. Some may find that frustrating but I like the sense of discovery. It also helps when you realize that despite the open nature of the environments, the scenes you must complete are placed in a generally linear fashion and they are pretty tough to miss.

The story is pretty intriguing thus far and I like how the game

creates sequences based on Ethan's stories. Some of which are pretty creepy/

. I may double dip on the PS4 version and replay through that for the updated visuals and trophies.

The story is engaging with a twist at the end that isn't gratuitous, but rather makes perfect sense once your understand what has taken place. Nothing seems to make any sense at first, but it all comes together piece by piece. It's a thoughtful, rewarding, tragic story. Can't wait to revisit it on the PS4.

I just finished the game an hour ago and I agree completely. That finale is going to stay with me for quite some time. Once

Paul found Ethan during one of the supernatural sequences I knew something was afoot. Once Ethan said he was too late I thought he would find the boy dead what the game delivered afterwards just immediately clicks with you considering the setup of Ethan's stories making up a bulk of the puzzle scenes. Tragic indeed. :( Especially the scene of his parents rushing in with buckets of water.

My favorite scene

was definitely the sea-thing sequence. Once the water pours in and you find yourself underwater with the tentacles contorting in the background, its hard not to completely fall in love with the experience. It's so Lovecraft and the visuals there are so well realized....

I finished the PC version but I'll happily double dip for the PS4 version to support such a great experience.

It's about four hours or so. It really rewards the time you put into it though, from the couple hours I've played.

How long is it?

Mark's on the money, yeah. About 4-5 hours depending on how much exploration you do.

You'll love it, Daniel. 

I find I'm having to play stuff like this in and around the Witcher 3, otherwise I'll just be playing the latter for the rest of the year...