LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Creative Assembly and SEGA's Alien: Isolation (PS4/XB1/PC/PS3/360) - Now on Switch!

The nest sequence I felt was where the game over-delivered on fan service. It also muddied the waters a little with regard to the established Alien lifecycle as it nods to the deleted scene from Alien that suggested the Aliens can cocoon their victims.

The LV-426 flashback however was just the right amount of "we're only doing this because we can" that I found immensely thrilling... :)

I didn't have much of an issue with frankly. I certainly see your perspective on it jumping the shark a bit but it wasn't so out of the realm of where the story was going that it bothered bothered me too much. The visuals really came together so well there...

Oh I don't think it jumps the shark so to speak, I just felt they were packing too much into the game by that point that would have better served a sequel or DLC.

Gotcha.

Done!

Mission 17 was a bit of an annoyance but primarily because they throw

multiple Aliens at you that always seem to be where you need to be.

The ending was also bit anti-climactic but worked in the confines of the story. Curious if

they managed to get a face hugger on her in the time when she was knocked out after she fell and when she woke up all wrapped in Alien sinew....

Nonetheless, my views on it haven't changed much. This is a good game marred by unnecessary padding and some design decisions that are there only to punish the player and elevate frustration level. Despite that, the quality of the production and how perfectly it captures /playing/ an Alien game makes it completely worthwhile.

Colonial Marines this is not. Having them in the same sentence does this game a disservice. If you're a fan - you should absolutely play it. Even if you want to throw the controller against the wall at times. :D

I do still plan on picking this up. Will wait for the inevitable price drop to $40 before doing so largely in part due to Dan and Romier's critiques of the game but also on the chance my controller and wall happen to make contact. Need to invest in another controller.

Have a friend's copy and just started playing this. So far I am enjoying it, but I literally put 40 minutes into it yesterday.

I have to say though, the title screen with the station framed next to the planet is one of the most gorgeous I have ever seen.

No seriously, is this game supposed to be fun? It's irritating and repetitive as fuck. I am not getting the pleasure to be derived from repeating the same long-ass sections over and over just to be caught by some bloody droid and then choked to death.

Yay? And I've put a good three hours into this, so dear lord please let me know if it gets better or if I should scurry back to Evil Within.

No seriously, is this game supposed to be fun? It's irritating and repetitive as fuck. I am not getting the pleasure to be derived from repeating the same long-ass sections over and over just to be caught by some bloody droid and then choked to death.

Did you get to the Alien yet? Just wait until you get to Medical. If you can make it past that section without hating the game - continue on. If you can't - quit now while your blood pressure is normal.;)

Alien Isolation gets 'Nightmare' difficulty mode:

In Nightmare, you'll have a damaged motion tracker with a messed up display that sometimes gives you unreliable information. Resources are limited even further and map systems won't be available to download from terminals, so you'll have to chart your course one cautious step at a time. Non-alien combatants will also deal more damage and be more aggressive.

And what of the Alien itself, you ask? Unsurprisingly, the titular creature has also been taught a few new tricks. "In this heightened, terrifying atmosphere, our Alien will be hunting you like never before," developer The Creative Assembly stated on its official site. "With an upgraded AI that has amplified its fatal hostility, every step you take may be your last. Our monster is more adaptive, learning from your tactics with chilling speed and with intensified senses that will give you no second chances."

They've also added a Novice mode for Mark. :)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-09-alien-isolations-latest-update-adds-new-difficulty-modes

I got this one as my last Christmas gift (shipping delayed it till today). I know I'm way behind from you guys but wow is this game tense. Thankfully in my case I guess I got it after it was patched/fixed and everything as its playing beautifully so far. The hide/seek gameplay totally works in this setting and I haven't even tried using a noisemaker or any of the distraction craftables yet. Awesome stuff :)

If there's a sequel, I would love to see it set in Hadley's Hope pre-Aliens. Some chapters or DLC where you get to play as Newt would send it over the top. Make it happen, Fox/Sega/CA.

Just finished Chapter 12.... holy shit.  This game is outstanding.  Brings me right back to my fear of that movie when I watched it at much too young of an age.  I was obsessed with that movie growing up... I think because I wasn't supposed to know about it or see it.  So good!  Can't wait to finish it up.

When this game is heavily discounted on steam I'll get it. Sounds like an eventual must have experience. In almost more excited to have my ten year old play and shit her pants with headphones on at night. She claims that she doesn't scare.

Done.  Holy Hell... what a game.  Some huge love/hate moments, all touched on earlier by Dan and Romier... but wow, I loved it.  I really want to find the Nostromo logs, I only have 3 or 4... really enjoyed hearing Dallas and Ripley again, Ash, I assume was not him, that didn't sound like him at all.  

One thing about the game, tense... that's about it for me, the randomness of the Alien is killer.  I think I used a Noise Maker one time in the whole game, I really just tried to stealth around and fight if I had too, in hindsight, I should have considered the Noise or Smoke, or even the Flare, never used any of those.

There were times playing Alien when I was really looking forward to playing a nice, easy, colorful game, you know something like Outlast... much, much less stress :)

An intriguing look at an early third person build of Alien Isolation:

I think the decision to go first person was the right one, but it still looks like it would have worked in its own way. I still got shivers as she goes into the vent.

Sega considers Alien Isolation a disappointment at 2.1 million units sold

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-calls-alien-isolation-sales-weak-at-2-1-million-291940.phtml

Despite moving 2.11 million copies, Sega calls Alien: Isolation's performance weak. It pins this shortcoming on the nebulous factor of "harsh market environment." Of Sega's six major titles released in 2014, Isolation did the best by a large margin. The other games were Football Manager 2015 (810,000 sold), Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal (combined 620,000 sold), Ryu ga Gotoku 0: Chikai no Basho (380,000 sold), and Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold (280,0000 sold). It's worth noting that Sega's packaged game sales saw a year-over-year increase of 1.23 million units.

Harsh market, indeed. Slim chance of a sequel likely dissipates with that and Sega all but moving to mobile. They won't even have a booth at E3 this year. How the mighty have fallen.:(