LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Cappa

No Man's Sky - (PS4, P, Xbox One)

35 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Never question my discount prophecies again. 😀

I shall never doubt you again. 

I'm definitely liking a lot of what they've done with this update, it's great work on Hello's part, though I don't know how regularly I'll stick to it. There's still nothing here that ever leaves me eager to progress and thinking about what I might do next, and it doesn't hold a candle to Elite if you like to assume the role of an explorer because the NMS engine simply doesn't lend itself to Elite's truly awesome rendering of the galaxy, but nevertheless the unique atmosphere and retro art direction really is the greatest strength of No Man's Sky and I think it just works as a game to casually dip in and out of. Even when you're in danger the threat is never enough to make you panic as you would in Elite, and that's just fine by me, but I'm not convinced there's much sense of reward and accomplishment to the gameplay here.

I'd say the most hampering factor right now remains the clumsy UI. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

though I don't know how regularly I'll stick to it. There's still nothing here that ever leaves me eager to progress and thinking about what I might do next,

I like playing this game for awhile, but after several rounds of mining, crafting, repeat, trading, selling... the other day I was thinking, "why am I doing this?". No Man's Sky is a game where some of the activities you do can feel like tedious work. I still enjoy it for bit, but the loop can get uninteresting. I do love how the game guides you through it now.

I think I want to start a new save in Creative mode...

• Like 1

Apart from a vsync bug that certainly acts like a bug that's GPU-dependent and is something they can probably fix at a later date, most of that analysis amounts to "with all the settings dialled up it's really pretty, but more work for your system than the game was two years ago, so you might have to turn these bits down, including the one that you hacked the configuration files to turn on in the first place - Hello know it's currently a killer so haven't yet enabled it."

So I've discovered a habitable planet with bright orange grass and black rocks, which screamed LCVG to me, so I have this evening renamed it LCVG 426. You're all free to submit suggestions for the naming of all the flora and fauna. The grass turns green at night. It's a nice planet..... the one SLIGHT snag is that there are the occasional rainstorms that are hot enough to start melting your space suit. But otherwise it's fine. 

• Like 2

I'm building us a base called The Overlook Hotel as it has a nice view. There are some floating rocks on this planet and I thought they would act as shelter from the acid rain but the game does not recognise them as such which is a bit daft.

• Like 1

I need to look into that tomorrow. I'm learning as I go. Base building is probably the most fun I've had in the game though. I may very well end my time with the game on this planet, just raid it for resources and max out our base. The planet is in a busy system with several neighbouring planets with varied terrains, a couple of space stations, a fleet, some hostiles. A bit of everything really. 

I THINK the floating rock thing may be a bug having explored more. I've built the base beneath it thinking the rock would shelter from the toxic rain, but it's as if the game does not even recognise the rock is there as the rain still hits you if you step outside the base. I need to take a moment to shelter under a regular grounded rock sometime in the rain to see if it protects me or not. It'd be a weird oversight if the engine doesn't recognise any large rocks as shelter.

• Like 1

Feels like every time I’ve switched my PS4 one this month the game installs another patch of several GB.

My attention’s already drifted from it as I suspected it might. I still need to look into how to allow others here to get to the LCVG planet though.

The “Next” update brought me back. Was a bit of a learning curve since they redid pretty much the whole way I used to make money: mining emeril. 

Definitely an an improved game. And definitely still with it’s share of bugs. Need performance improvements. Runs kind of crappy on my ps4 Pro. 

Wonder how how it is on the Xbox One X? 

Looks good... I don't know that it's going to draw me back for a while, but I did have a good time for a week or two after Next was released.

• Like 1

VR support for PS4 and PC is incoming and reviews are good.  Yes, I still have never bought/touched this game and I foresee finally taking the plunge with all of the content it possesses now plus Oculus support!

• Like 1

It’s on sale again at CDKeys but out of stock (and likely on sale on Steam again by the weekend) to coincide with the update. And yes, the addition of VR is getting great reviews and has me jumping back in. I liked this one at release but, not enough to keep playing it. Very much looking forward to revisiting it now though :)