LCVG
Romier S

Batman - Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbone, PC) Rocksteady developed releaseing June 2nd, 2015

Got my copy on PS4 the other day so finally got to play this. I'm only getting started so just now seeing what you guys have been posting about. I've only put in a few hours so far but, yea there are a lot of batmobile/tank sections straight away :/ The tank sections are Not great IMO but I can work through most of them quickly enough. Oh man, I HATED the batmobile platforming sequence at ACE Chemicals though... That was awful. I'm surprised by how little I'm Batman (at least early in the game) versus how much time I'm in the car. I finally did the first investigation sequence and that was really cool, combat feels as good as ever and the city itself looks gorgeous.

Overall I'm o.k. with the game so far, I'm really liking it when I'm Batman, not so much with the Batmobile. When I read through this thread before my copy came in "...a game so tanky you don't even have to be your tank to tank" seemed ridiculous :) now I see.

Overall I'm o.k. with the game so far, I'm really liking it when I'm Batman, not so much with the Batmobile. When I read through this thread before my copy came in "...a game so tanky you don't even have to be your tank to tank" seemed ridiculous :) now I see.

It REALLY takes the piss when some of Riddler's "riddles" are nothing more than Batmobile assault courses.

Honestly I think less of the game as a whole the more I reflect upon it. It is by no means awful, or even bad. It has several moments of brilliance and combat is as polished as it has ever been in the series, but it is staggeringly formulaic at times (even in the side missions). I rather wish they had not come up with yet another convenient excuse to evacuate Gotham citizens as it would have been interesting to interact with them, save some in distress...etc. 

I agree in the side quests really being a staggering drop in quality from City which did some great narrative stuff with its side quests. This game doesn't mask it's repetition nearly as well.

The main story is pretty enjoyable thus far though especially with some the psychology going on with Batman and his

infection from the Joker blood. I also like that they had the balls to kill Barbara.

The Batmobile....I don't have an issue with to be frank. It doesn't blow me away but I like controlling the thing and I especially dig the APC chase sequences when the game goes all Burnout.

The side quests in this game are really forgettable busy work and I dislike it immensely I must say. The Penguin/Two Face stuff was so bad I was almost shocked at how brief and repetitive it was. The Riddler puzzle rooms and Catwoman quests are some of my favorites in the game when they don't involve the Batmobile race courses. On that note, fuck the Firefly quests, too. Garbage.

I just finished

Panessa Studios

which finally felt like a proper Arkham set of missions.I really dug that. I like the storyline thus far and the hand to hand combat is still great but something is missing for me. Once I turn the game off I really don't have a great sense that I need to come back to it immediately. I'm content to play it when I can and frankly I just want to move on at this point. I'm running through the side quests as they become available more out of habit than garnering any actual enjoyment out of them. Maybe it's "wrong" to say but a bulk of this feels far more like Watch Dog than Arkham City and that's a damned shame. :/

It's the weakest of the series for me and yes that includes Origins which at least had a stellar story and some great boss battles to prop it up. There's no way I bother to 100% it like I have every other game in the series.

...and done. In the end my game is sitting at 97% and that's where it'll stay. I have absolutely no interest in doing the Riddler trophies. A first for me as I've achieved 100% in every other Arkham game. The fact that I managed to complete all of the other "Gotham's Most Wanted" quests still amazes me as they were enough of a chore but I figured I'd get my money's worth before putting my completion stamp on it. 

Knight is a hodge podge of great fundamentals that have helped this series to thrive for years alongside really poor execution for both new elements and content that in the past Rocksteady has completed nailed. I've already said my peace on the side missions which are mostly repetitive junk with little to no payoff more often than not. So I won't belabor that point but I do need to add that the nearly complete lack of boss battles in the game is baffling to me. For a series that has prided itself on allowing the player to "be the Batman" and take on what is one of the most revered rogues galleries in comics - that your interactions with these villains and the inevitable payoff for completing the "Most Wanted" threads are nothing more than a cutscene or a road trip to the GCPD with said villains in tow is such a massive misstep. In the rare instances where you are allowed to confront - its in the Batmobile against some generic tank "boss" that adds another layer of drone combat tedium. Something that I had more than enough of by mid-game. 

Nowhere is this more evident than the finale of the militia missions where

Deathstroke

takes over after you've toppled the Arkham Knight. Your final confrontation with the militia's new leader seriously just pissed me off. It's nothing more than a copy and paste of the

Cloudburst tank fight.

Ridiculous! Especially considering that Origins put together a pretty slick boss battle with him very early on in that game that was both fun and made for an excellent debut for the character in this version of Batman's mythology.

The final quarter of the games main story is also guilty of the same crimes - peppering you with mindless drone encounters until you finally reach the final stretch and are (finally) met with some real gameplay variation. The way the game handles

the Joker and Batman finally overcoming the psychological effects of the infected blood is superb. Thanks in no small part to Mark Hamill's iconic performance of the character.

. The story here is fine if a bit ham fisted with twists you see coming a mile away. For all intents and purposes its a retelling of

"Under the Red Hood"

. If you're a fan of that particular movie, you'll like what Arkham Knight wants to show you and it adds some interesting changes to the established canon. 

I did complete enough of the game to trigger the Knightfall protocol and see one of the endings where

Bruce obviously fakes his death. Though I have to ask - why? Who's he handing the mantle to? That game sets up Azreal as a possible successor but that goes by the wayside quickly enough. "It ends tonight!" he says but all he's doing is locking up the same criminals he's been locking up for years. The same ones that have managed to escape time and time again. What's different this time outside of people knowing that he's Bruce Wayne now? If you follow it through to its logical conclusion, if the Batman does show back up anyone with half a brain will think that Bruce simply faked his death. The Dark Knight Rises has similar issues but that movie at leasts puts Blake in a position to pick up the ball and run with it.

The obvious thought I had was that the "true" ending gave you that sense of closure, right? So I went to youtube and gave it a watch.  :lawl  :lawl

Ok, Rocksteady. I'm glad I didn't waste hours of my life getting Riddler trophies for that nonsense.

In case it wasn't abundantly clear yet, I disliked parts of this game immensely. The cynical gamer will look at Arkham Origins as little more than a cash grab prequel from Warner Bros, but it still features the absolute best story in the series and executes many of its core elements better than Arkham Knight. This is the weakest game in the series by a wide margin and its obvious to me that Rocksteady peaked with Arkham City. I hope that whatever game they are working on in the future will reinvigorate their creative juices as I still have high expectations and hopes for them as premiere game studio but I have little to no interest in any other Arkham games from them. This game felt like they were as bored making it as I was playing it.

I agree completely.  Warts and all, Origins took things in a way more interesting direction for me story-wise.  By the end of Arkham Knight, I was really getting bored with Batman as a character, and I was pretty disappointed that they:

didn't really kill Oracle, as that actually threatened to make the story interesting.

Also, the fact that:

They copied and pasted one of the most annoying fights in the game for Deahstroke felt ridiculously lazy.  I did everything except the Riddler challenges, but I disliked that fight enough that I didn't even bother to get the trophy for doing it again.

FYI, if you got an Nvidia card and Batman as the free gift from newegg, get on the horn with them. 

I just got off of the chat with their CS department and they were kind enough to send me a code for Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain on PC.:D

Amazing customer service from them as usual.

New patch coming adding photo mode:

You can check out the full changelog below.
  • Stability Fixes.
  • New Feature: Photo Mode.
  • New Feature: Force original voice-cast option for non-English territories.
  • Support for August additional content.
  • Updates for WB Play and Downloadable Content.
  • General gamplay, graphics, audio, UI and localization fixes.

For anyone who picked Arkham Knight up as the pack-in for an Nvidia card, NewEgg is replacing the title with MGSV: The Phantom Pain. I chatted with a service rep for all of 5 minutes, they looked up my order (which was about 2 months ago), and sent me the code via email which was in my inbox a minute after logging off chat. You get to keep Arkham Knight, too. Do eet!

Edit: Just noticed Romier posted that he did it damn near a month ago, so yeah...

Finally playing through this now, and it's awesome.  Batmobile isn't as bad as people made it out to be pre-release, and I'm really enjoying the story.  I'm pretty close to the end of the Scarecrow line though-is it worth finishing everything else before that, or can you just go back afterwards?  From what I understand, there's a second "real" ending once you 100% all the most wanted missions, but does it matter whether I finish off Scarecrow first? 

Well, decided to 100% this anyway, which was fine since I actaully enjoyed the riddler stuff this time around.  There were stil more trophies than there needed to be, but not as bad as in city.  I figure they could have dropped 50-80 of them (the ones that are just out in the open), but I did enjoy the ones where there was an interesting puzzle to them.  There were a couple of places where I just forgot about the Line Launcher though-you just sort of have it the whole time, and rarely have to use it. 

Mainline story was good, and the scarecrow psychosis stuff was really well handled. The whole end sequence (from entering the warehouse onwards) was fantsastic.  They got me a couple of times with those statues showing up out of nowhere :)

As for the DLC though... I played through the Harley, Red Hood, and Batgirl packs this morning, which tells you how long they are.  You're not missing much.  Batgirl is OK, and Red Hood is interesting because it plays pretty differently, but Harley and Red Hood are both less than an hour. 

Oh and the Arklham Knight's identity?  It was exactly what I'd guessed it was.  Some characters should have just stayed dead...

After getting all of the way to the Arkham Knight reveal (where you are trying to get him off the gargoyles) and then just drifting back to Destiny, never to progress further in AK back at release, I restarted this about two weeks ago and played it to completion.  Except for the Riddler trophies, which I did almost none of.  And the original comments in here remain accurate.  The Batman/Joker stuff works quite well story-wise, as do the Batfamily dynamics and drama, but the game just defaults to the BatTank way too often.  And it actually felt pretty balanced until about 2/3rds of the way through.  Then it just became too much.  And I wasn’t aware of the post-villain reveal content.  So I was pretty excited when Deathstroke arrived.  Imagine my almost crushing disappointment when the Deathstroke fight is another Tank battle, a repeat of one of the worst stages of the game.  But I am mostly a completist, so I played the DLC Villains missions too.  Conceptually, they were alright, but they were mostly just more of the same.  Still, the design work is great, and I loved some of the stages and set pieces.  And I enjoyed the APC chases.  I mostly liked the Batmobile stuff, but I mostly hated the Bat Tank.  

Voice work was great as usual.  And it is really polished.  But City was still the pinnacle.  I get the incorporation of the car, as it is such a big part of the mythos.  And integrating the car elements seamlessly with the rest for the gameplay is impressive.  But it was probably so much work, technically, that they felt they had to justify it with a BIG footprint in the game.  

I’m glad I played it, having never done so.  Doubt I’ll ever play it again, beyond maybe trying some of the DLC missions.

• Like 2

I need to restart this myself.  Think i only have 1 trophy to show for it. 

As do I. Got it for a song on PS4. Played a fair amount, but didn’t finish.