LCVG

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

ChoiceStriker

I bought Disgaea a few months ago as part of TRU's buy 2, get 1 free sale. I only just got around to opening it up last night, and I only played it for about an hour, but I was very impressed with what I played.

First off let me say that I like RPGs but I haven't played through many of them, and this is my first foray into a seriously deep FF Tactics-style strategy game. It's a little overwhelming with everything you can do in this game, from manipulating the Dark Assembly to entering the Item World to the mentor/pupil relationships... I could go on and on.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the bit I've played - the game has a great sense of humor (I like the Prinnies) and I think the dialogue is great. I even like the voice acting, which is rare for me. I love the art style and character design (the cover is one of the best I've ever seen), and the use of color is very nicely done too. Beyond the aesthetic value of the game, the battles are very fun and I've enjoyed contemplating what moves will let me deal out the most damage - the Geo Panels and crystals add yet another element of strategy to consider.

Ah well, no real reason for this post other than to say I'm excited to play through more of Disgaea. Has anyone else picked this up and played through it? I'd love to know what others thought of it.

P.S. If there's one game that NEEDS a strategy guide, this is it. Only problem is the limited number of copies printed meant they sold out quickly and now they're going for a considerable markup on eBay. I'm considering getting the PDF version from the publisher (doublejumpbooks.com), but I'd prefer a hard copy for quicker reference. Oh well, I guess I could print what I want or need copies of. Has anyone ever bought a guide in PDF format before?

Well, I finally caved in and bought a strategy guide off eBay, but I'm sure I will get more than my money's worth out of it. There's so much stuff in Disgaea that I'm sure I would never have figured out on my own.

And the publisher, Double Jump Books, is FANTASTIC. Their website has an excellent forum that's regularly updated and contains lots of useful stuff that wasn't ready when they went to press, and some error fixes (which isn't to say the book itself is lacking).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to playing more of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like my kind of game. I just started FFX-2

20 to 80 hours...

and I'm still working through Xenosaga...

another 60 hours...

and KOTOR,

...another 60 hours...

so I'm gonna lay off for now.

Snart idea. ;) Take it from me. I own all three and haven't come close to beating any of them either. I'm afraid to even RENT Disgaea. Any game where you have to enter a weapon and fight battles in it to level it up is just too insane even for me.

Heh, I haven't made much progress since my last post about Disgaea. I got a GBA SP from my girlfriend for Christmas and I've been spending lots of time with Circle of the Moon, Wario Ware and Mario and Luigi, and I've still got Harmony of Dissonance and FFTA to play through. Yikes. And I won't even mention all the PS2 games the holidays and their accompanying sales brought. Hell, I just CAN'T pass up some of these deals - just the other day I got Gungrave and Shinobi for $4.98 EACH at Circuit City (in a bargain bin marked at 50% off lowest ticketed price - which was $9.99).

But anyway, someday I'll get around to playing more Disgaea... I just don't know when!

• 2 years later...

This game is very dangerous for any plans I have of having a life. Last night was a dull dreich night so I stayed in & fired this up only to have my entire evening sucked into it. So much to level up, so much to do, so much to learn. Love it, love it, love it. This could be a major timesink for me.

This game is digital crack. It's as if a game design team in Japan decided to mix together elements to make a game perfectly pitched to addict me & only me. Every single element/feature just adds upon the previous ones to pull me in more.

Wacky characters & cute redheaded girls? Check. Parties of characters you can level up? Check. Job system with branching jobs requiring leveling up of other jobs? Check. Grid based layout ala FFT? Check. Ability to replay levels? Check. Ingenious mentoring system encouraging you to grow characters & get them in battles beside your high level characters? Check. Random dungeon sidequest? Check. Ability to put votes in front of a demon assembly, and slaughtering the no voters? Check.

This game is seriously bad for my intentions to have a social life.

This game is digital crack. It's as if a game design team in Japan decided to mix together elements to make a game perfectly pitched to addict me & only me. Every single element/feature just adds upon the previous ones to pull me in more.

Wacky characters & cute redheaded girls? Check. Parties of characters you can level up? Check. Job system with branching jobs requiring leveling up of other jobs? Check. Grid based layout ala FFT? Check. Ability to replay levels? Check. Ingenious mentoring system encouraging you to grow characters & get them in battles beside your high level characters? Check. Random dungeon sidequest? Check. Ability to put votes in front of a demon assembly' date=' and slaughtering the no voters? Check.

This game is seriously bad for my intentions to have a social life.[/quote']

That's why I had to get rid of it. It was just too friggin' enormous. And as weird as this sounds, La Pucelle Tactics was potentially even more addictive.

Ah, Disgaea. I never did get around to playing it more. But when I showed it to a friend, he became so wrapped up in it that he is STILL playing. He's logged more than 250 hours on this beast - and that was the last time I asked him about it, months ago. He's gotten sucked into all of the Nippon Ichi / Atlus titles, but none more than Disgaea.

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing this, still loving it. I haven't advanced far in the story at all, just starting chapter 3, instead I've been trying to advance my team, get used to the powers, get used to the features. I just successfully made it through 10 levels in item world for the first time last night, on two different weapons, and realised that the leveled up items weren't in my inventory... I had a whole item warehouse for storing things I didn't know existed, with a bunch of stuff I'd won & never bothered to look for :)

I also transmorgafied my main character back down to level 1.

I absolutely adore this game.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Well, this is unexpected. February'16, on Steam.

Download the Darkness, Level Up Evil!

Two years after the death of his father, Overlord Krichevskoy, the demon prince Laharl awakens to discover that the Netherworld is in turmoil. With unlikely allies, his devious vassal Etna and the angel trainee Flonne, he must battle his way to supremacy to retake the throne and become the next Overlord. Experience the SRPG classic, now on PC!

Key Features:

An SRPG from the most prolific SRPG creators in the world, Nippon Ichi Software

Choose from over 40 unique character types

Even with a max level of 9999, use Transmigration to start all over again, but your characters will be even stronger per level!

Delve into the Item World, a randomly generated dungeon world, to level up your items!

With max level characters and leveled-up items, dish out millions of points of damage!

Over-the-top battle animations

Geo Panels - A puzzle game within a Strategy RPG

Lift & Throw - Throw your allies up ledges to reach enemies in hard-to-reach spots, or toss your enemies around instead!

A zany story set in the Netherworld, where the notions of good and evil are reversed

New to Disgaea PC (It's not just a port!):

Updated UI and textures

Keyboard/Mouse and controller support

Includes all content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness

New Steam features, such as Achievements, Cloud Saves, Badges, and trading cards

Learn about the long and prestigious history of the Disgaea series @ http://disgaea.us/

ss_7af8f7bfe408cf909e985fb91f1d2fb356d9b

ss_ad960fdca800ceccf4fbd9b40faec2ad2a5d4

ss_c5e8b73a1923137fb0136802499d686f4922e

Oh, yes.