LCVG

Black Isle is dead

Drazzil

For those interested here is a link confirming the closure of Black Isle:

Black Isle team member confirms closure

Please note to all members for future reference. Whenever referencing news like this always be sure to include a link or source to the information. Its not that we don't trust you, but we sure do not want unfounded rumors flying about and providing such info will lend your post credence. Keep that in mind.

Personally I'm glad to see BIS die, as it has been nothing but a mockery of itself for about a year now.

Im never happy to see a studio die. Even less BI since I loved the Icewind Dale series. The fine folks at BI were also responsible for the greatest CRPG ever created, Planescape Torment. They were apparently also dev'ing Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance II.

Hopes of Fallout 3 are now dashed. :cry: Definitely not happy to hear this news at all.

BI closes

Confimed at GS

After months of bad omens, the end has finally come for the veteran RPG developer.

It looks like role-playing gamers will have a boulder of coal stuffed in their holiday stockings this year, as GameSpot has received reliable reports that Interplay has shut down Black Isle Studios.

While nothing has been confirmed by official sources as of press time, Damien "Puuk" Foletto, a member of BIS' art department, broke the news on the Interplay forums late this afternoon. "Today was my last day at the (former) BIS, as it was for my whole team," he said. To date, Foletto's posts have been one of the most reliable sources of news on the development of Fallout 3 (aka Van Buren) including the departure of his former co-worker J.E. Sawyer.

Again, just a sad end to a really great legacy of top quality roleplaying games.

Black Isle was a division of Bioware, weren't they?

No. Black Isle worked closely with Bioware on games like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale back when Interplay was publishing Biowares' games. They were never associated past that.

Bioware and Interplay had a rather unpleasant falling out however right around the time Neverwinter Nights was due out and Bioware moved publishing over to Atari (then Infogrames). The loss of Neverwinter no doubt didn't help Interplay's financial situation.

The fine folks at BI were also responsible for the greated CRPG ever created, Planescape Torment.

Here, here.

A moment of virtual silence for a once great developer.

I played through Planescape again just last month, and it has a complexity and maturity few games have. Such a shame, though I have to admit that the closure of Interplay has never been an 'if' but a 'when' for me for quite a while now.

Originally posted by dogbert@Dec 8 2003, 11:57 PM

A good mate of mine is in a lot of mental anguish because the studio he works for looks like it's about to implode.

Well, I told you that being a first-party developer for the Phantom wasn't nearly as cool as it sounded.

Who owns their WIP like Fallout 3? Who owns the IP to Fallout 3? Any word on potential purchasers of either?

-j

Who owns their WIP like Fallout 3? Who owns the IP to Fallout 3? Any word on potential purchasers of either?

Interplay of course, though there's a rumour doing the rounds that they've sold it to someone, but no names have been mentioned - to be honest, I'm not sure that makes sense (even for Interplay) as the only real project they've got going right now is Fallout Brotherhood of Steel on the consoles and I'd imagine they'd want to keep the Fallout IP for that, but who knows. Interplay have pretty much stripped themselves completely of value & IP - the recent sale of Galleon to SCi for $5 million will pay the bills for a little while, but not long.

So many studios closing down is bad for all game developers. Supply and demand for labor, you know. A huge pool of unemployed developers ultimately means less pay and benefits for the employed developers. Next you may see tons of layoffs/rehirings just to bring the wages down.

Look for lots of game programmers to seek employ in other industries.

Maybe this is just temporary.

Originally posted by dogbert@Dec 9 2003, 02:59 PM

the recent sale of Galleon to SCi for $5 million will pay the bills for a little while, but not long.

On the bright side, $5M is more than $0, which is all they looked to be getting from the project for a long time. Particularly when what I've seen of it has been thoroughly beaten to the market by the new Prince Of Persia.

Wow. This sucks. Black Isle made some of my absolute favorite RPG's:

-Baldur's Gate

-BG: Tales of the Sword Coast

-Planescape: Torment

-Icewind Dale

-IWD: Heart of Winter

-Icewind Dale II

-Baldur's Gate II

-BGII: Throne of Bhaal

-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Dark Alliance II was one of the "big" games that I was really looking forward to for next year. Who knows how much time I've spent on all the great games they made... :cry:

I guess it's time to finally pick up and play through Fallout 1&2, something I've been meaning to do for a while.

I thought I remembered seeing the Black Isle FMV at the beginning of them

Black Isle and Bioware both had a hand in creating the Infinity Engine which powers both the BG and IWD (and Planescape) series of games. Both worked collaboratively on that aspect of the game including art assets, gameplay mechanics etc. IWD however was handled almost exclusively by BI while Baldurs Gate was developed by Bioware. Its a bit confusing but Mark is correct.

no studio deserves to die, people depend on those jobs and without those jobs they can't support themselves....thus leaving that responisbility on you and me and our tax dollars. Personally I've found Black Isle's games to be pretty entertaining, even with all the skullduggery in them. I'm sure another studio will scoop up most of the displaced workers.

Drazzil, please don't take this criticism too harshly, but that post barely meets our standards of acceptability.

Discussion is important here and that post does not seem designed to encourage discussion. It seems inflammatory, especially given the absence of any even-tempered support.

As I said, please don't take this too harshly. I'm sure you will be a great contributor to our community in the future.

-j

Black Isle and Bioware both had a hand in creating the Infinity Engine which powers both the BG and IWD (and Planescape) series of games. Both worked collaboratively on that aspect of the game including art assets, gameplay mechanics etc. IWD however was handled almost exclusively by BI while Baldurs Gate was developed by Bioware. Its a bit confusing but Mark is correct.

Thanks for clearing that up...I had always for some reason figured that Bioware had worked more on creating and maintaining the Infinity Engine primarily for licensing it out to other developers. :oops:

RM, I do not mean to make inflammitory posts, however Interplay as an entity and as a company no longer deserves to exist. The Interplay that was "By gamers for gamers" died when the corporate interests took over. Sure the recession was partly responsible, but the large majority of the responsibility lies with the parties who owned the controlling share of Interplay making assine decision after assine decision against all reason that drove Interplay into the ground.

I do not mean to make inflammitory posts, however Interplay as an entity and as a company no longer deserves to exist.

So why make another one then?

when the corporate interests took over. Sure the recession was partly responsible, but the large majority of the responsibility lies with the parties who owned the controlling share of Interplay making assine decision after assine decision against all reason that drove Interplay into the ground.

You can say that about most companies. However, people don't deserve to lose their jobs just because you think a company doesn't deserve to exist. How would you feel if you lost your job and we said your company didn't deserve to exist because it was run by a bunch of ass clowns? I hate to say it, but the USA is all about corporations, and guess what? They are run by asswipe managers and CEO's, however, the people who do the actual work do not deserve to have themselves and their families without an income regardless what you think about them..

-Dean-

I do not mean to make inflammitory posts, however Interplay as an entity and as a company no longer deserves to exist.

Uh, yeah, well, that's a pretty harsh statement to make, isn't it? Especially when you don't back it up. I could see if they had like, kidnapped your dog or something, but you just keep saying they ran it into the ground and don't give any examples of what was done wrong.

Doesn't make for much of a debate without it, unfortunately.