LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
kelley

Official Football/Soccer/Futbol Thread 2014/2015...errr 2015/2016...I mean 2016/2017

On 9/11/2019 at 10:21 AM, SupahBlah said:

Chelsea seem pretty confident their ban will be overturned.

It’s over next summer. Buying in the winter is terrible anyway. 

Seeing Barcelona play makes me miserable lately.

Messi is out of form, and nobody else is at the level they need to be. It seems like the césped was shit today, but that’s not a excuse. We got fucked by a second division team. 

:(

There's a midfield that doesn't know how to get the ball into the box. There's a star striker who's lost a bit of pace after injuries. There's a defence that needs completely rebuilding. And teams figured all that out last mid-season. Our form from February has been awful, it's just now it's really hitting home. The success in the Champions League, where they dug deep & got some luck, papered over the cracks. 

Too many players, like Ericksson, riding out hoping for paydays, and a team that can have 70% possession but no clue how to score. Yesterday was awful.

Today’s comfortable victory over City, corroborates that Liverpool are the strongest team in Europe and the ones to beat in the UCL. 

I think that Klopp’s high pressure/high work rate game has evolved as the perfect counter to the high possession idea of the perfect game that Barcelona and Pep showcase. The high pressure is revolutionizing the game; you see it now everywhere including La Liga teams that in prior years never gave Barcelona any trouble. Fuck, it is the most common strategy in FIFA among anybody with a clue, and as sick as I am of it, I can’t deny how effective it is. 

I would love to see a match between 2009’s Barcelona and the Liverpool team of the last 12 months, the ultimate test for such contradicting ideologies in the sport. Nevertheless, it’s a great time to be watching football. 

• Like 1

If you read Zonal Marking its pretty good at explaining obviously the different tactics of the strongest teams in that "era" of country domination but Barcelona's press is what inspired Klopp (I can't remember if it was Rijkaard's or Guardiola's but I'm sure it was Rijkaard's) but while Barcelona aggressively fought to get the ball back to control the ball again. Klopp's ideas also being inspired by Rangnick's fast transitions. Bundesliga already being heavily counter-attacking Klopp's press is counter-press basically its countering the counter attack exploiting the transition from defence to attack. The entire chapter though on Guardiola trying to adapt to the Bundesliga and every team being counter-attacking is awesome.

Liverpool's main thing is that its fullbacks are its playmakers (unlike say a number 10) Liverpool especially use a cross-field ball but unlike most teams doing it say fullback to midfielder or attacker its fullback to fullback (as seen in Salah's goal)

Its why United had a better game because they basically man marked the fullbacks which is crazy to think about. 

• Like 1

What a goal by Messi against Atlético. 
It is insane that such a legend is surrounded by players of the quality of Junior Firpo, the guy was an open road, and almost scored two own goals. 

Simeone needs to go. He is always tiring his players by forcing them to make such an effort. His idea of high pressure is flawed. The last 15 minutes Barcelona knew they were going for the dagger in a counter.  

On 11/26/2019 at 3:42 AM, Batong said:

So this is our year you say, now where have I heard that before 🤔

Pep is shook. He is questioning his style. Liverpool will win it. They should focus on getting the golden trophy. 

On 12/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, godhand said:

Pep is shook. He is questioning his style. Liverpool will win it. They should focus on getting the golden trophy. 

Don't know, Supah might need to change his ava if that happens.

The kids did it! Magic of the Cup and all that. We have lost so many players out to injury these last months, even our youth teams are banged up. 

I wonder if they’ll still give you guys the trophy. I would, no other team has been close. 

And just give us the FA Cup and a top four finish. It’s only the right thing to do. 

How's my favourite footy people doing, how's everyone's mood in these special circumstances (where a lot of us are still stuck at home or barely going out)?

It's definitely taking a toll mentally but I'm trying to stay positive. 

I’m doing alright. I got a new job a few weeks ago, transitioning jobs during this time is really weird. During this lockdown I discovered Gogglebox and I hate how much I fucking love that show. Mentally my wife is taking this way harder than the kid and I. The kid wakes up does his school work and then games till we make him turn them off. My wife says the thing she misses the most is the alone time she got when we were at work and school. I’m doing alright but I think the job has really given me something to focus on. 

My gf loves gogglebox haha, I stick with Soccer Saturday for my talking about watching something.

I'm okay, working from home until September at the earliest. I keep trying to stick to a schedule.