LCVG

Official Football/Soccer/Futbol Thread 2014/2015...errr 2015/2016...I mean 2016/2017

kelley

7 hours ago, dogbert said:

They're not going to beat England - a draw? Maybe. Croatia did not look convincing in their game against England - strong at the back, but not the powerhouse midfield they used to be, but I can't see us edging them out of 2nd place. We're capable of third place, for sure, but then it's down to how good we rate against the other groups, and that's going to be tough. 

I just want us to play well. Definitely beat Czech Republic. And fight England all the way ;) 

England wasn’t that impressive yesterday either. With how slow Croatia was you’d expect the youth of England to have ran all over them. I’m not sure of Scotland’s speed, but England looked ripe for a counter attack but the old Croatian legs couldn’t run fast enough to take advantage of it. 

I’m the most curious to see how Spain and Germany look, both two teams with a lot of rebuilding after past glories.

9 minutes ago, kelley said:

I thought Scotland started well in both halves but the goals really deflated the team. That second goal was awful. 

All on the goalie. He should never have been that far up the pitch and Czech Republic rightfully nailed him on the breakaway. 

No description available.

Yeah it was crazy how far up the pitch he was. Big game tomorrow with France vs Germany. France with the experience but the German kids can be very dangerous. My money is still on France to win the tournament. 

11 hours ago, dogbert said:

It's France's tournament to lose, agreed.

Euros have had a number of "smaller" countries causing upsets far more than the World Cup has - fewer games, more opportunities to have a lucky streak. 

Iceland's run is the one that most recently sticks out.

First Austin FC home game at the new stadium was a blast. Extremely well put together stadium in a relatively small space in North Austin. Great mix of Austin food/beer. The supporters clubs whipped up a great atmosphere. Green + black everywhere - they must have made a killing on shirts this week. Team's got potential, but desperately needs a striker with an eye for goal - lots of build up + shots, but missing that edge of a proven goalscorer. I hear Harry Kane's available... 

A9KNoFa.png

7t6xLCv.png

1r2sc9n.png

AKcxjtZ.png

And one final photo, someone from Columbus bought a plane advert for the night :)

VItgWRi.png

Glad you got to go. The new generation of MLS clubs really are doing it right. Loads of fan engagement, putting a decent product on the pitch, smart about who they get for sponsors. I had season tickets for 6 years up in Denver. I stopped when it was evident the ownership didn’t give a shit about the team or fans. Since we’ve moved we don’t have an MLS team in Tulsa but we have a recently rebuilt USL club. It has young owners who seem to be happy spending their family wealth on trying to grow out the club, the rebranding alone had to cost them some big bucks and it’s /very/ well done. Worst thing is they play in a baseball stadium but the ownership is trying to find land downtown for a soccer stadium. 

also that banner is 🔥. I can’t blame that ownership though, Austin was sitting there ripe for the taking and he jumped at it.

looking at pics of the stadium, smart design decisions to make it cheap and easy to expand its capacity as the fandom booms. 

Very excited, though the Group stage is my favorite. Could have sworn Spain would tie every group stage match and go home, but that game against Slovakia really managed to get my blood pumping. Feels like the last time Spain scored that many goals was the 2012 finals against Italy.

Pretty good games today. Wales got some tough calls, but I don't know if reversing those would have been enough to stop Denmark. And boy was there a lot of action the last thirty minutes of Italy v Austria.

2 hours ago, xPieter said:

Pretty good games today. Wales got some tough calls, but I don't know if reversing those would have been enough to stop Denmark. And boy was there a lot of action the last thirty minutes of Italy v Austria.

That Italy v Austria game was great, I thought for sure Austria was going to pip it, which I wouldn’t mind as it would let Jorginho and Emerson return early to summer training camp for Chelsea. 

Two awesome games today, even though France lost…Fairplay to the Swiss, they never gave up and kept punching. There has been chatter that the French players had been staying up late and not putting in the effort with training and that’s certainly shown. 

Love the stoppage time goal from Ukraine today. That’s what the knockout rounds are all about! England v Germany was ok, end of the Löw era for Germany. Can’t deny the success he’s had leading the German National Team. Now he can go off and eat his boogers in peace.

I can’t wait to see Belgium v Italy on Friday. That’s going to be a good match.