LCVG

Syphon Filter:Omega Strain Demo

FLYING SE7EN

I played the demo last night and thought it was pretty well done. Basically it's a graphical update of the old SP games. It looks very good and the sound effects are nicely done, but there seem to be a bunch of missed opportunities.

Mainly, it's the control scheme that has me scratching my head. With so many 3rd person shooters out there you'd think they would try to change it to take advantage of the innovations over the past few years. First and foremost, the camera is fixed and you have to use the left stick to turn around (like ETM), the right stick is used for strafing.

I much prefer the FPS-style controls of Max Payne for this type of game. Its still very playable but definitely takes some getting used to.

Also the weapon switching could have been handled better. You have to switch weapons with the select button, when the directional buttons work so much better.

Finally, crouching and shooting require you to position your thumb over the x and square buttons at the same time which is tricky.

Its just the demo so there might be hope for custom controller configurations, but I won't hold my breath.

This game will be online enabled, so co-op could be really fun if they do it right.

We will see how things pan out in Feb.

The Jampack disc is $4.99 at Best Buy and has a bunch of great demos

Syphon Filter: The Omega Strain

007: Everything or Nothing

XIII

Ratchet & Clank : Going Commando

NFL Gameday

NCAA Football

Need for Speed Underground

Whiplash

Castlevania: The Lament of Innocence

(some Jet Li kung fu game)

plus two or three more that I can't remember.

Cheers.

J.

He does move faster, but turning is pretty slow. In ETM, you could spin around pretty quickly so that made the control tolerable, but turning in SF:OS is a little slow.

The original didn't use the analog functions of the sticks either so it was run or stand still. SF:OS makes full use of the analog stick fortunately. The controls aren't a deal killer for me, but I just don't see the point in hanging on to an outdated configuration. I guess I'm just a FPS camera controlling freak who fears change.

I hope that the reviews are favorable for this when it releases, because I picked up an ethernet adapter and headset JUST for this game.