LCVG
Bruce B

Walking Dead Season 5 Discussion

Two great episodes in a row. I love that the cannibals aren't done with. They can't deny me

Rick completely losing his shit and ending their leader

Can't remember if Gabriel was introduced this early in the book. Actually he was. I believe the church and Gabriel kick off the hunter arch. Terminus and what not are fabrications for the show.

Poor Bob!

Either way, this shit is about to get good.:D

Definitely a HOLY SHIT moment.

In the comic (already happened spoilers)

It's Dale. Bob isn't even a character in the comic. Dale gets captured by the hunters and already has an amputated leg since he was bitten earlier and was saved by having his leg amputated (this happened to Herschel, remember?). In the comic Dale reveals that he was bitten to the Hunters as they are munching on his cooked leg

You can see how the show takes elements from the book and shifts what happens to some characters over to others, etc. The elements are there though.

I'm really liking the music in this season's episodes so far!  It kind of reminds me of classic John Carpenter stuff.

It seemed really risky to 

jump down in to the water to kill the zombies.  It looked like they could have fashioned some spears and just stabbed them in the head before going down to get the food!

I also really like how they are shifting things around.  It makes it different enough that the comic readers will be surprised but it still feels like the comic for the most part.

Anyone else pick up that Bob may have been bitten when he went under water?  When he left the church to go cry it may have been because he knew his time was limited and he just seemed to find love/happiness/acceptance.  I won't be surprised if he gets to tell the hunters a little surprise next week...

Anyone else pick up that Bob may have been bitten when he went under water? When he left the church to go cry it may have been because he knew his time was limited and he just seemed to find love/happiness/acceptance. I won't be surprised if he gets to tell the hunters a little surprise next week...

Romier's prior post would also kind of suggests that we'd see this unfold, but, I seem to remember something in an earlier session preview where Rick was making the cannibal leader travel with them to Washington. And he was clearly chowing down on Bob, so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

I'm all caught up now. I take it the post credit scene in Episode 1 was showing Negan? I can't wait to see how much they are allowed to get away with. Negan is all kinds of crazy. Can't wait.

-Dean-

I'm all caught up now. I take it the post credit scene in Episode 1 was showing Negan? 

-Dean-

That was Morgan. The dude from the very first episode of the show and the later episode "Clear" where he was holed up in that small town. I doubt we see a whiff of Negan until

they reach DC.

Frankly, considering how badly they fucked up the Governor, I don't have a lot of confidence in them doing Negan much justice. To be fair, the whole Negan thing can't end anymore poorly than it did in the comics so...

Dean may have been referring to the guy who had the Terminus people in the box car.  I have read that someone from the show (maybe on Talking Dead?) has said that was not Negan.

I fully expect Negan to appear next season. I'm not sure how that will translate considering just about every other word he says is fuck. But I have faith in Gimple. I know it's still early, but I think he will easily turn out to be the best showrunner Walking Dead has had.

Edit: maybe even a small cameo at the end of this season? With everything that went on leading up to and then the all out war storyline, they can easily make a full season out of it.

Dean may have been referring to the guy who had the Terminus people in the box car.  I have read that someone from the show (maybe on Talking Dead?) has said that was not Negan.

I think they intentionally used an actor that resembled Negan from the comics to trick people into thinking that was Negan.  Negan is probably my least favorite "villain" of the comics so I'm in no hurry to see him on-screen.

Next season is still way too early for Negan, IMO. 

They still have to arrive

at the community near DC. Deal with the conflict of leadership there and generally selling a more quiet life before they touch on the hilltop community and introduce the Saviors. They haven't even dealt with the fact that Eugene is a con man and knows fuck all about a cure. Considering the shows trajectory, that won't be a throwaway revelation.

I'd expect Negan at the end of next season at the earliest. If they want to be really ballsy, end

next season with Glen's death as a cliffhanger.

I think some substantial changes need to be made to Negan outside of the cursing, too. The All Out War storyline ended up being hot garbage by the end and it was far too drawn out.

Maybe. And from a comic perspective they would be getting real close to where the comic is at. On the other hand, they are dealing with Gabriel and the hunters now, which led into your spoiler tag if I remember correctly. In a sixteen? episode season, it seems like enough time to cover that. But your idea for ending next season sounds good too. We will see.

Great episode last night!

I was really glad they had a version of the scene from the comics where

Bob (Dale in the comics) starts laughing at the cannibals eating his leg and then tells them he's been bitten and they are eating tainted meat!  One of my favorite moments from the comics! Sad to see Bob go though.  I didn't really care for him at the start but he grew on me as he kind of became the spiritual successor to Dale and Hershel in providing wisdom and optimism for the group.

I think last night's episode pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of Pacifist Rick. New Rick Grimes. Does. Not. Play.

If this Rick had been around earlier, the Governor story arc would've lasted two episodes, tops.

Robert Kirkman confirmed via Twitter that the show will definitely not end with Rick waking up from a coma in which he dreamt the events of the group surviving a zombie apocalypse (sorry, don't know how to directly post tweets):

“Going on record to answer this: Rick is NOT still in a coma. The events of TWD are definitely happening.”

“But Carl and everyone else are all imagined. He actually NEVER found his family. He's been crazy since he killed his first zombie. #joking?”

This has been by far the best season of The Walking Dead since maybe the first half of S3. Even fucking Beth is interesting!

Love the way they are building and fanning out the various groups, too.

Please don't fuck this up, Gimple!

Maybe if I'd read the comics I'd have a better appreciation off this past episode, but with that said, that was the worst episode in a long time. I was thinking it, and my wife said it. The acting was downright painful. Hope they move on quick from that storyline.

Maybe if I'd read the comics I'd have a better appreciation off this past episode, but with that said, that was the worst episode in a long time. I was thinking it, and my wife said it. The acting was downright painful. Hope they move on quick from that storyline.

No you wouldn't as it's new to the show. :)

No you wouldn't as it's new to the show. :)

Gah, I actually meant to present that as a question (ex, was this storyline from the comic). My fail.

Thought the episode sucked, especially after the previous two were so damn good. I just find Beth super uninteresting and not well acted.