LCVG
Bruce B

Walking Dead Season 5 Discussion

I liked this episode a lot.  It was artfully done for a show that is usually pretty straightforward in its storytelling. It was sad to see Tyrese go as he was the soul of the group. But I think his death makes a powerful statement. The group had become so expert at killing zombies that the only real threat to them was other humans like at Terminus or the hospital. They had become kind of complacent around the zombies. When Noah ran off to his old home, Tyrese didn't do a full sweep of the house and paid the ultimate price. They framed his internal struggle to survive as a matter of it being ok for him to give up and choose death.  For all of them, they are swimming against the current and it's only a matter of time before they can't swim anymore. I think this episode really captured that feeling.

• Like 1

Bit of a borefest this week and I'm not one to usually complain about a slow burn episode. I like what they were going for with the group in complete tatters and in sheer desperation mode but boy the metaphors were about as overt and beat you about the head as they come. Once again, production and artistry wise the show has really upped its game. Thankfully things will pick up in the coming weeks, though I think people are going to be disappointed that the direction the show is heading is not were they think it is. That's if it stays close to the comics. 

I thought this was cool:

Fp1phhe.jpg

oDQwJUf.jpg

Pretty good casting for Aaron.

I agree with your assessment Romier, borefest! Having not read the comics, I hope that things do pick up now, I'm craving a bit more action & events.

Any prognostications about the potential impending doom, now that the crew is staying at a Sandals Resort pretty much? My only observance of trouble was the husband sitting on a porch smoking a cigarette. Later Rick woke up out of a dead sleep, as if having an epiphany.

I felt like Rick and Carol were acting-the-part, playing along in order to see what the new people are really like.

I have no idea what will unfold, but I thought Rick's suggestion that they 'shouldn't leave the gates' open was fairly ominous.

After everything they've been through, it's difficult to accept them handing over their weapons. If there was ever a case of 'over my cold dead body' that would be it. I'll let it slide though, simply because Carol's goofy 'aww shucks' handing over her weapon was so amusing. She is so dangerous now, which is impressive considering her past. No character has evolved so thoroughly as Carol across the entire series.

Any prognostications about the potential impending doom, now that the crew is staying at a Sandals Resort pretty much? My only observance of trouble was the husband sitting on a porch smoking a cigarette. Later Rick woke up out of a dead sleep, as if having an epiphany.

If you don't care about spoilers

The place isn't bullshit in the comics. If anything, Rick and the group are the "dangerous" ones.

The design of the walls seemed strange considering they were built by an architect. Why would you put the stabilizing arms that anchor into the ground on the outside of the walls? Assuming you want to keep both humans and walkers out, you'd want the arms on the inside where they cannot be tampered with by humans and where the force from the walkers pushing on the walls would drive the arms deeper into the ground instead of pulling them up on the outside.

The design of the walls seemed strange considering they were built by an architect. Why would you put the stabilizing arms that anchor into the ground on the outside of the walls? Assuming you want to keep both humans and walkers out, you'd want the arms on the inside where they cannot be tampered with by humans and where the force from the walkers pushing on the walls would drive the arms deeper into the ground instead of pulling them up on the outside.

It's symbolism!

Who are the real monsters?

:)

According to a random internet guy it's better that way:

http://www.reddit.com/r/thewalkingdead/comments/2xntx1/spoiler_why_are_the_walls_of_alexandria_braced/

Fucking great episode. Completely love that they kept the final scene and Rick's last statement. It was a such a gut punch in the books.

Ricks group possibly being the people they should have left outside of the gate, etc.

It's a fun dynamic their building and they're doing it a little differently than the book but I'm really liking it.

Rick doesn't agree with this. He brought up the fact that people can climb over the walls pretty easily (as the teen girl proved as well). Considering the town is so picky about allowing the "right" people in (by scouting them, interviewing them, etc.), the wall design again seems strange.

I wonder what happened to Morgan? It seemed like he had almost caught up to the group at the church before things went south there.

Man, this has been the most consistently strong run of the series since the first half of S3.

They're nailing Alexandria.

Fucking Noah. :( I had feels....

Man, this has been the most consistently strong run of the series since the first half of S3.

I'm the exact opposite. The only thing good that came out of last weeks episode was Carol talking to the kid in the pantry. This is a case where reading the comic is so damning to my enjoyment of the show. I'm bailing until Negan shows up. I really want to see how they handle him and that storyline. I'm sure they'll fuck it up though like pretty much everything else.

-Dean-

I agree about Alexandria.  Although regarding

Noah, I feel bad but not THAT bad. If it wasn't for Noah, Beth and Tyrese would still be alive (or would have at least lived longer than they had). I was hoping that Eugene was going to kill that traitor guy but no such luck. Glenn is too principled to kill him. Fucking Gabriel though. After all the group did for him...

Lol @ that pic!

Just watched this episode. I'm not sure how I would have felt about Noah, but it ended up being fairly exciting in our house, because moments earlier my wife made the comment, "I didn't really care for Noah originally, but I really like him now!"

Oh my!

I could barely contain my laughter as my wife was exclaiming "ohhh, no, no!"

Goddammit, Michonne - you're interrupting the Ricktatorship as he was about to go full Shane!

I love that approving smirk from Carol. One more episode!

Loved the Nine Inch Nails interlude at the beginning.

Carl is gonna be pissed if they are forced to leave because I think he was about to get his cherry popped.

Its also quite evident that even if all zombies were eliminated, the war wouldn't be over.

The humans are much more of a threat than the zombies at this point. The zombies are merely a nuisance.

• Like 1

Why did Michonne go back to the uniform? Did she see herself in Sasha?

Yep. The realization hit that if she keeps trying to hold on to their time on the road, she'll end up like Sasha. Who happens to be suffering from some serious PTSD.