LCVG
Angry the Clown

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER FREE) discussion thread

I LOVED it personally. I had to watch it a few times to come to that conclusion as the first couple of viewings are met with the initial shock of what you're seeing and trying to take it all in. I am honestly really quite impressed that they chose not to show the returning cast members this early on, but instead show the new leads but place them amongst HUGELY familiar ships, sound effects and locations. We're still none the wiser as to who these characters are and what the story is and that only amplifies my interest and excitement at this stage, not to mention the fact they've only revealed two out of the half dozen or so new characters. Everything a teaser should be.

Most interesting of all is to really get an idea for what it looks like, by which I mean the cinematography. I think there's definitely some similarity there to the approach Abrams and Mindel had in shooting Star Trek, but I don't doubt that the two of them are aware of the risk of not letting this movie have it's own style. It's also nice that there is style there in fact. It looks modern and not adhering to the limitations of 1970s/80s techniques of the original trilogy, and yet... again... there's a wonderful sense of familiarity throughout. It had me from the Imperial Probe Droid sound effect to be honest. :)

I'm fairly sure that is Andy Serkis heard in the teaser there. I could well be wrong of course.

Pretty much what I expected, except for the lack of headshots of known characters.  Completely vague, but still looking forward to it.  I had to laugh at one thing though:

First shot of the trailer, was almost to say "Look!  There are black people in Star Wars!" :)

Also:

Random speculation, but it's Luke with the red lightsaber (with the really dumb looking "guard").

Also:

Random speculation, but it's Luke with the red lightsaber (with the really dumb looking "guard").

Don't want this thread to turn into one with lots of tagged spoilers, but I'm not sure I can agree with the speculation there.  Looks too slim and is moving like a much younger individual. Also I think that's a hand warmer for the snowy climate. :)

Did anyone notice the Falcon's round satellite dish has now been replaced with a rectangular one? 

I actually didn't until I saw a screen cap of it from the trailer. :)

Meant to say that I really like how they are not using 'Episode' in the marketing. I believe this had been confirmed via the official Star Wars twitter when the title was announced, and that we'll only see Episode VII in the crawl. I always thought it was downright weird how the Episode number took prominence over the prequel film titles, which has lead to us almost always referring to them casually by number instead of name.

Yeah, okay, that got the goosebumps going a little bit.  Just the shots of the ships flying around was pretty cool.

It's also nice that there is style there in fact. It looks modern and not adhering to the limitations of 1970s/80s techniques of the original trilogy, and yet... again... there's a wonderful sense of familiarity throughout.

That really stuck out to me as well.  

It's interesting. I've watched the trailer a few times now and I like it, but I'm not as excited about it as I was with the teasers for the prequels.

It could be that I'm just a little older now and not as easily worked up about things like this, even though I love Star Wars. I don't think that's it though. Say what you will about the prequels, it was very easy for me to get excited about them simply because I knew what to anticipate with those films. They were going to show us how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. It was a story I had been dying to see since I was little, and so it was easier to get excited about them.

With The Force Awakens, I don't know what to expect. I don't know where the story is going. In a way, that's even more exciting because I can be more surprised by what happens in a way I couldn't with the prequels. Conversely, I don't know what to be excited about yet, other than it's more Star Wars and that it takes place a generation after Return of the Jedi.

That said, I still enjoyed the trailer. It looks like Star Wars but it looks new. It doesn't look like it came from the 70s/80s and it doesn't look like one of the prequels. I can't wait to see more.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that guy in the X-wing cockpit sort of looks like Adam Sessler?

Excellent teaser. Wonderful to get some Star Wars imagery that doesn't look like a blandly lit CG environment for once.

I remain far more hyped for Avengers 2 in 2015 but that may change with a full on trailer for Force Awakens.

With The Force Awakens, I don't know what to expect. I don't know where the story is going. In a way, that's even more exciting because I can be more surprised by what happens in a way I couldn't with the prequels. Conversely, I don't know what to be excited about yet, other than it's more Star Wars and that it takes place a generation after Return of the Jedi.

Indeed, but I've definitely fallen on the side of these factors increasing my interest.

What I want, most of all, is a story worth telling, and I hope there is one because Jedi ends kind of neatly with the Emperor dead, the big celebration, Lando clapping out of tune...etc. The idea of remnants of the Empire putting up a fight was always a good one and always made sense, but nevertheless I'm curious to know where this new story fits in alongside the classic trilogy. If it puts forward the idea that evil never dies and the dark side will always exist and be reborn then when we're done with episode 9 what then? No final happily ever after resolution but even MORE episodes? Clearly Disney sees a distinction between "episodes" and the spin off movies, so I'm curious to know what this new trilogy is, and whether it is still technically the 'Skywalker' saga (even though we can assume Boyega and Ridley are being set up as the central protagonists for this trilogy). Likewise, I found it interesting that neither Abrams or Kasdan are assisting Rian Johnson in the writing of the two sequels, but surely they've got the whole three movie arc set out for Johnson to run with. Furthermore, how much of Lucas' pitch and Michael Arnd't premise for the trilogy remains?  I hope there is a big fat feature length documentary chronicling the whole genesis of this new trilogy on the Blu-ray release.

The very fact this film even exists fascinates me.

It begins.

EnwnUs.jpg

I'll see that, and raise you....

xCLVXPh.gif

The soccer ball droid?  Not so much.

Really? What sets him apart from something like the mouse droid from Star Wars? I like the look of him. He seems to have some practicality to his design for getting around rough terrain in a speedy fashion. Assuming that thing is bound to any of the central characters then I could imagine R2 not liking him much which could be fun.

I agree, for something like the desert sands, it would be practical, but putting that ridiculous looking thing in the very first teaser... like putting "YIPEE!" from TPM out there up front in it's first trailer as well.

Personally, I geeked out a bit. Maybe not quite like I did when I saw the Phantom Menace trailer, but more then enough for a 43 year old guy. A year is a long time away.

The first image was a long going rumor, the voice over character sounds like it could be Max von Sydow, will he just be the voice of a character like James Earl Jones, maybe acted by Sekis, I don't know, I am excited another Star Wars film is coming and hopeful that it will please more than the prequels, so far I love the look. Keep it coming...

The first image was a long going rumor, the voice over character sounds like it could be Max von Sydow, will he just be the voice of a character like James Earl Jones, maybe acted by Sekis, I don't know.

Serkis is far too good an actor to merely do motion performance whilst someone else does a voice. It's too English for von Sydow and not deep enough. He has a very distinctive voice and tone to his Swedish accent that he's never shaken. It's either Serkis manipulating his own voice, or it's someone else entirely. There are little tones to the voice that leave me to think it is Serkis however ("there has been an awakening" sounds very much like Serkis adding a throaty rasp to his natural speaking voice. The drop in tone in "awakening" has me pretty much convinced that it is him in fact).

Some people are speculating that is Oscar Isaac piloting the X-Wing. I'm so used to seeing him with a beard however that I simply cannot tell, particularly with his face squished into a rebel helmet. 

I just read the Oscar Isaac X-Wing pilot speculation as well, I can't tell, I'm on the fence.

You're probably right about Serkis, he is too good for motion capture only.

Most of the shots show the grit of the original trilogy, but those Stormtroppers look fresh out of the box.