LCVG
Angry the Clown

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER FREE) discussion thread

I'm not sure what to do, my wife doesn't get her work schedule for that time period until early December, I'll probably get two tickets for the first showing on the 17th and see what happens, I believe that's around at 7 PM here.

Incidentally several cinemas here are listing it with a 136 minute running time. They are also saying 12A (our equivalent of PG-13, basically) for the rating but the film has not been submitted to the ratings board yet so that's definitely a guess on their part, but possible Disney could be telling venues that's the rating they are expecting to receive. 

I'm not sure what to do, my wife doesn't get her work schedule for that time period until early December, I'll probably get two tickets for the first showing on the 17th and see what happens, I believe that's around at 7 PM here.

Latest I get out during the holidays is 5 (I start early ), so a quick shower and off to the theater I will go.

I'd think it possible that an edit could be 99% locked at this stage, yes. Part of the reason for spreading the scoring sessions was to try and get the music recorded for something as close to the final edit as possible. Regardless, I'd imagine Disney has a rough idea of what the final running time is looking likely to end up close to, and surely they'd have to give cinemas some indication so venues know how many shows they can run per day. I'd expect the bulk of the work left now is finishing the score, sound editing/mixing, colour grading and the special effects. 

Latest I get out during the holidays is 5 (I start early ), so a quick shower and off to the theater I will go.

I figure you'd have to wait at least 1-2 Hours in line for good seats.

You Americans and your lack of pre-allocated seats.... *shakes head*

Lol, some theaters have that, I don't think any in my current area though.

Debating if I want to do the Marathon at the AMC Empire, NYC

Star Wars Marathon Event

The Star Wars Marathon Event is the ultimate fan experience. All seven movies. One epic journey. Guests will see each of the six previously released Star Warsepisodes in digital 2D beginning with The Phantom Menace and concluding with the opening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 3D! Guests will also receive a lanyard featuring exclusive marathon art. Coming December 17.

* See below for list of participating theaters.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-theatrical-poster-first-look-in-theater-exclusives-and-more

Have tweeted the BFI IMAX to see if they can tell me the tech specs of how they will be screening the film in Dec. They're a proper IMAX venue and I'd heard the true IMAX cinemas will get 15 perf 70mm prints to be run on dual projectors for 3D, but I'd be happier if they just run it in 15/70mm 2D. If it's the former I'll still make plans to see it there, I just don't want to see the movie with 3D forced on me the first time I go to see it. 

I'm delighted the Curzon Mayfair is showing it. I was so worried a decent venue would not run it in 2D in London.

Closest theater is not true IMAX, I have to imagine the IMAX theaters will all screen in only 3D, or are there some that don't? From what i've seen they all end up being IMAX 3D here if the film has a 3D version.

You Americans and your lack of pre-allocated seats.... *shakes head*

Crazy, isn't it? More & more of the boutique chains are doing pre-allocated. The Alamo Drafthouse, where I'll definitely be going to see this, is all pre-allocated when you buy the seats now, with nice interactive seating interface.

We'll be going to see this as a family on Christmas Day at the Alamo (a tradition we started last year) but I'll be intending to see it before then ;)

Closest theater is not true IMAX, I have to imagine the IMAX theaters will all screen in only 3D, or are there some that don't? From what i've seen they all end up being IMAX 3D here if the film has a 3D version.

The classic 70mm based IMAX venues would require dual projectors if receiving a 15perf 70mm 3D presentation which, in fairness, is about as good as 3D can get for optimal brightness and so on. Since most of the true IMAX venues are leftover from the days where they ran the IMAX photographed and IMAX 3D photographed documentaries they were originally built for then many will probably retain the dual projection rigs, otherwise the only alternatives would be single print 15perf 70mm 2D presentations or, worst case, digital 3D on the large format screen. 

I figure you'd have to wait at least 1-2 Hours in line for good seats.

Not at all. I'll get the first thurs night showing and walk right in. They keep those theaters empty opening nights empty about an hour or more before the movie starts. I never wait in lines. It will probably be IMAX 3D. Our regal has proper IMAX, and then a seperate bigger screen RPX theater .

I wonder if they will update the Sphero app for those new BB-8 sounds. Seems like they have changed the noises he makes entirely. 

Curzon Mayfair does not actually appear to be starting their screenings until the 18th, so will have to look to some Everyman venues for my first viewing I think. Debating over a midnight screening on the 16th at the Everyman cinema in Hampstead which is another favourite of mine...

image.jpg

Has the desirable comfort for a screening at that hour.

Cuzron Mayfair added shows for the 17th.... now I don't know what to do.... Midnight on the 16th at the Everyman Hampstead is tempting, as it is pretty local to me, comfortable, but not a HUGE screen and I wouldn't have anyone to go with at that hour, otherwise it's 11:15am on the 17th at the Curzon and again at 8:40pm that night.

*edit*  Have decided against Midnight. 11:15 on the 17th at the Curzon will be my first viewing. That's the screen I want to see it on for the first time... three rows from the front. :)

The Everyman Hampstead looks like a cozy intimate theater. I normally go for the biggest screen, either IMAX(Fake IMAX) or RPX.

It's bigger than it looks, but yes, it is intimate. It is ideal for a cozy midnight show as I said, but i've decided against it so I can experience it on the screen I really want to see it on for the first time on the morning of the 17th. Only £10 too.

The Cuzron Mayfair in proportion to people is classically big.

curzon-002.jpg

I saw 2001 in 70mm there. :) Will catch Spectre there next week too.

Those are some nice looking unique theaters. 

I wonder why they are waiting so long to put tickets on sale in the US, I believe it's 10 PM EST tonight.

Those are some nice looking unique theaters. 

I wonder why they are waiting so long to put tickets on sale in the US, I believe it's 10 PM EST tonight.

It's going up right after the trailer airs.