LCVG
Angry the Clown

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILER FREE) discussion thread

Nope, the 6th ring is

getting up to watch TPM at 4:45am.

Indeed!

I'm not even wanting first night tickets - I'm taking our kids, along with good friends & their kid, on Sunday afternoon, as that weekend is ridiculously packed with grown up stuff. Well, if the Alamo would ever get their ticketing system back up.

I'm going to guess they have one database backing up the entire chain at this point with Cloudfare cashing the front-end in the cloud, going by the Cloudfare errors. Sigh.

Alamo had 6:45.  People were so desperate they even eventually sold out of the marathon showings, which start at 4:45AM (yes, AM) with The Phantom Menace.  There are only 5 rings of hell, right?  Nope, the 6th ring is

getting up to watch TPM at 4:45am.

If I got those tickets, I'd just skip the first 5 hours or so. I bet the theater is pretty empty for TPM.

Looks like the IMAX theater in my area doesn't have tickets for sale yet, at least it's not showing in the Fandango app.

If I got those tickets, I'd just skip the first 5 hours or so. I bet the theater is pretty empty for TPM.

At least with the Alamo, it's reserved seats. For the likes of Cinemark marathons of the series, no reserved seats. So if you want the good ones for the eventual Force Awakening showing? ...

Well the person I was supposed to go with did not get through for the imax ticket, so 3d it is for the first time

Well the person I was supposed to go with did not get through for the imax ticket, so 3d it is for the first time

Join me for the Marathon at the Sheepshead Bay IMAX standard screen.  :)

I can pick you up.

I am glad this trailer still hasn't really told much of the story, or what is going on, since I have been trying to avoid major spoilers, and I'm intrigued by Han telling the kids that the stories were true.

I didn't really get emotional from the first trailer. I still feel burned by the prequels, so just seeing new Star Wars wasn't enough. The behind the scenes video posted a little while ago got me very emotional because it seemed like JJ got it and was correcting the wrongs. Now that I'm starting to believe that JJ may get it right, I can let myself get emotional seeing the Falcon flying around (accompanied by the Han and Leia theme).

There also seems to be much more real emotion shown in this trailer (especially from Daisy) rather than the phony emotion in the prequels.

The melted Vader helmet gave me chills too.

AWFUL generic Zimmer protégé-esque modern movie music take on Williams' themes aside (took me out of it on first viewing), I loved everything I was seeing in the trailer, even though I think the last one brought all the elements together a little better. Happy they're still playing their cards close to their chest on the story front, though we can begin to piece together some things a little better here (at least as far as the three new characters motivations are concerned).

It's impressive how they seem determined to save Luke's reveal for the movie itself (really makes me hope the dipshit who took that leaked photo got himself into hot water).

There also seems to be much more real emotion shown in this trailer (especially from Daisy) rather than the phony emotion in the prequels.

I suspect the standard of acting across the board will be stronger than it has ever been in the history of the series. Even Ford doesn't seem to be phoning it in.

I suspect the standard of acting across the board will be stronger than it has ever been in the history of the series. Even Ford doesn't seem to be phoning it in.

Ford stood out for me, too, in this second one.  There's a depth there, you can see and hear it.

I really like the art direction and the lighting of those first couple of shots of Rey scavenger hunting. Those might be my favourite visuals they've revealed to date. I also love that BB-8's head is doing a little half twist left and right as he rolls across the sand purely because that's precisely what the Sphero toy version of him does when he moves too. :)

Tickets purchased for 7PM on the 17th! My theater did assigned seating, which is a first. Found decent ones off to the side.

The look on Finn's face when Kylo comes at him  :banderas:

These kids can act!

Loved Daisy's reaction.

I'm loving Finn in this generally. Though I do have one point of confusion: it seems to be implied that he's been a Stormtrooper, or at least trained as one, for some time. And yet I can't think of a single scene we've seen where his response to facing an armed enemy is anything other than panic. 

Although, that would possibly explain a few things about their ability to shoot rebels.

I like that though as it says a lot about young people being recruited for what is probably mandatory service in that universe. I think his look of panic and exhaustion makes sense. From the trailers we can likely piece together his exit from the Empire/First Order is not smooth, that it is probably him in the tie fighter shooting up the landing bay in the second trailer, and that tie fighter is then seen here blown to bits and falling down towards Jakku. So he's fled his imperial overloads, crash landed, survived, and no doubt fears being hunted down on the planet's surface.

When it comes to wielding the lightsaber I think he knows he's out of his depth the minute Kylo stomps toward him.

The closest we've seen him looking cool and collected is when he's got that rifle by the X-Wing so I suspect his journey will be something akin to a young man not cut out for war, caught up on the wrong side and fleeing only to have to find himself gathering the courage to fight for what is right. That seems to be what the latest trailer suggests his arc is. 

Boyega's trailer reaction is magnificent:

https://instagram.com/p/9DN_LbsCtp/

Join me for the Marathon at the Sheepshead Bay IMAX standard screen.  :)

I can pick you up.

Lol I have to work , it's holiday time.

Kylo and his friends messed some people up

kNucNYU.png?1

I'm digging the voice and delivery, he's calm, but you can see the rage in the way he moves. 

"Hey, boss, can we have one of those laser swords too?"

"NO!"

I know we've been saying it since the first teaser last December, but it's remarkable how modern the movie looks, and yet to Star Wars at the same time. Even the camera moves in ways we've never seen in any of the previous six movies before. 

Watched the trailer again this morning, showing it to my kids. The Vader helmet reveal, R2D2 & Chewie & BB8 all got big gasps of joy from them. I think it'll be a hit. ;)

• Like 1