LCVG

My cubicle (lots of images, dialup beware)

rustyjaw

One of the first threads I started here at LCVG was about my collection of weird toys that I keep at work. Since then the collection has grown quite a bit, so I thought it might be fun to post an update.

Without further ado, my cubicle:

cubewide.jpg

First a wide shot, the row of creatures on the right are 8" versions of toys called Qee, the normal versions are 2" tall, that's a rack of them in the back on the desktop to the left.

backwall.jpg

Next is a closer shot in the same direction. The rack of Qee on the left, and many of the boxes the figures shipped in lined up along the back.

bigrack.jpg

A close up of that rack of 2" Qee figures. This is a little over half of what I have (sick, I know)

monitor.jpg

Most of the rest sit on another rack that is perched on top of my monitor.

allatomics.jpg

On my second monitor live some of my favorite Qee figures, this is the "Atomic" line

atomics.jpg

Here's a close up of them, they rule :twisted:

scarygirl.jpg

Another set of figures I collect are called "Scary Girl" (she's the one to the far right)

scaryqee.jpg

this is what happens when you cross Qee figures with Scary Girl designs, love 'em.

doinks_ewos.jpg

A cloeup of some other 2" Qee.

Continued:

hooker.jpg

"Toy God", "Hooker Bear" and "Racer 23"

madbarbs.jpg

These are some of the latest arrivals. The three at the bottom right are designed by the same people that did the Atomic ones. The abstract one's above that are from a Spanish designer names Jaime Hayon.

rolitos.jpg

Qee's are all based on just a few different shapes, there's the bear (with the big ears), the dog (with the floppy ears, like the yellow one), and the cat (like the one with the blood drop).

satans.jpg

I love the satans!

bib.jpg

These are based on Men In Black, called "Bears in Black"

bigrow2.jpg

These are all 8" figures, many of them based on 2" designs

bigrow1.jpg

More 8" figures, "tattoo bear" is in the middle

rippafront.jpg

The newest 8" figure is called the "Rippa" - no idea what it means, this is his front side.

rippaback.jpg

And here's his back...oh, and he glows in the dark!!

biglineup.jpg

Here's the motely crew of 8" Qee from the back.

That is some awesome stuff there, Ed! I'm sure they love to see you at KidRobot.

But, are you not worried about theft? Admittedly, I worked with brokerage scum, but I couldn't leave nice things even in my desk drawers without having them stolen. What do your co-workers/bosses think? One of my friends used to get grief from management because he had a tiny Millenium Falcon on his computer monitor. Goddamnit, am I glad I don't work (there) anymore.

LMAO, Ed, it is SCARY how similar your taste in toys is to my girlfriend's. She is a big collector of Japanese toys and that sort of thing, and she's got lots of the same or similar stuff herself - Monsterism, Scary Girl, Gregory Horror, Bearbricks, etc. She's also a big fan of the Murakami stuff like Mr. DOB and whatnot. But seriously, it was very cool to see your photos!

I've thought about theft, but there's nothing I can do, really. I want to display these things, they make my day more fun, I can't keep them under lock and key. I kind of just have to hope that nothing happens.

I work in a fairly small company, about 25 people (it's an ad agency, I work in the creative dept.). We are in a building that houses our 'parent' company, that has many more employees, but we're kind of isolated from them.

My co-workers and boss love the figures, many of my co-workers have their own small collections, based largely on duplicates that I've bought (some of the smaller figures are 'blind' meaning they come in a box that you can't see into, you just buy one, open it up and you get what you get...which means you get duplicates sometimes).

And yes, I'm on a first-name basis at Kid Robot! :D

Originally posted by ChoiceStriker@Dec 12 2003, 02:26 PM

LMAO, Ed, it is SCARY how similar your taste in toys is to my girlfriend's. She is a big collector of Japanese toys and that sort of thing, and she's got lots of the same or similar stuff herself - Monsterism, Scary Girl, Gregory Horror, Bearbricks, etc. She's also a big fan of the Murakami stuff like Mr. DOB and whatnot. But seriously, it was very cool to see your photos!

That's great! yeah, I really just stumbled into this after happening upon the kidRobot store on Haight street...it all started with the small version of the "666" Devil Bear and spiraled out of control from there!

Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Dec 12 2003, 02:37 PM

That Scary Girl reminds me of Roman Dirge's Lenore.

-j

interesting, cool stuff...but what's up with the font on that site? It looks like Thai on my screen, until I size it up and see that it's all numbers with lines above them...weird.

BTW, here's some related links:

http://www.scarygirl.com/ <-- Scary Girl website

http://www.wonderwall.co.jp <-- the distributors of Qees

http://www.qeester.com/ <-- my boyfriend's site...he has more Qees than I do!!!

http://www.rolitoland.com/ <-- this guy designed some of the Qees

http://www.777run.com/ <-- another Qee designer, great illustrator

Ah, cool, didn't know that about Doink. The Rippa Qee is fantastic! Have you seen the Gregory Horror figures I mentioned?

Gregory Horror Show miniatures

Are you a fan of Tim Biskup's work? I know he did a Qee and it's AMAZING... he has some vinyl stuff at his FlopDoodle site: Vinyl toys

And here's the link to his Qee:

Tim Biskup Qee

Haha, I should have known you'd already have yours reserved! Hell, I'm thinking about getting one for my girlfriend - I know she would love it. As for Gregory Horror, yeah, they are very cool designs. I don't know if you could tell just from those pictures, but they are TINY!! Probably under an inch tall. There is also a show on Cartoon Network called Pecola that's designed by the same people.

Originally posted by ChoiceStriker@Dec 12 2003, 04:38 PM

By the way, if they would have made the Kill Bill Bearbrick more detailed (or better yet, a Kill Bill Qee), I would have been going nuts to get one. Unfortunately, IMO, the one that's out there is pretty darn boring:Kill Bill Bearbrick

That almost looks like a knockoff, the bearbricks usually have a pretty good finish on them, but that looks almost hand done.

Originally posted by gigapower@Dec 17 2003, 09:54 AM

Are the two inch ones really $14.99 a piece?

It depends on where they were released, and in what quantity. But for a normal US release, the retail price is ~$5. For a rare asian-only import a normal price is $10-15 (but a lot of Asian-only releases are never imported).

But on eEbay, rare Qee can fetch $25 - $50, depending on the desperation of the bidders ;)