LCVG

Better Call Saul *Spoilers for aired episodes only*

Carlucci

Please, no preview spoilers in this discussion.

The first two episodes have aired, and this show is off to a hell of a start. 

I did not expect to see Tuco, and it blew me away when he appeared.  Then the tension-packed negotiations between Saul and Tuco over the lives of the skate-scammers had me literally holding my breath. 

The show already captures the look, feel, suspense, treachery, and madcap action that made Breaking Bad so good, and promises even more surprises.  In an interview in EW magazine, Bob Odenkirk teased "It's not what you think.  Whatever you think on episode 1,2, or 3, keep watching - it is becoming something you haven't seen."

I missed having a show that I eagerly anticipated all week long  Now I have it.

Carlos.

I'm a big BB fan (probably my favorite tv series ever) so like a lot of other people my expectations for BCS were too high.  First 2 episodes did not grab me like BB did (I know what an unfair comparison that is) but after episode 3 I'm warming up to it.  At first I thought the series felt a bit gimmicky with the BB cameo's (I was not crazy about the Tuco appearance) but I like the direction episode 3 has the series heading.     

I'm really satisfied with it. I wanted it to be very much its own thing, which clearly it is, but it's good to have reminders that it is still within the Breaking Bad world. I think it was smart to use Tuco as they did, personally. He's there, he's familiar, he's in a different place to where we find him in Breaking Bad, but he's secondary to Nacho where the preliminary focus seems to be at the moment. Likewise with Mike, and I say this as someone who was most excited about this series because it would mean more Mike, I like how they are gradually building him and his relationship with Jimmy and not overplaying him in a "hey, remember this guy? it's this guy!" kind of way.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched episode 6 and I'm officially hooked!  Episode 6 was a fantastic look into Mikes past and tells the viewer why he eventually made his way to New Mexico.  As a fan of his character it was must see TV.  It was a nice change of pace for the show in that it was serious in tone and didn't focus much at all on Saul for once.  Although when Saul said "Shall I fan you gently?" to the investigators I lol'd.  It was just a perfectly delivered little "Saulism". 

I'm really satisfied with it. I wanted it to be very much its own thing, which clearly it is, but it's good to have reminders that it is still within the Breaking Bad world. I think it was smart to use Tuco as they did, personally. He's there, he's familiar, he's in a different place to where we find him in Breaking Bad, but he's secondary to Nacho where the preliminary focus seems to be at the moment. Likewise with Mike, and I say this as someone who was most excited about this series because it would mean more Mike, I like how they are gradually building him and his relationship with Jimmy and not overplaying him in a "hey, remember this guy? it's this guy!" kind of way.

Sounds like you are going to be loving episode 6 as well.  :)

I loved BB and loved Saul's character in it, but when the BSC was announced I was filled with the usual spin-off skepticism.  Well, that's long gone.  I love this show.  Not in a cliff-hung, frantic "gotta see what happens next" way, but it's just excellent beginning to end every episode.  BB and BCS has ruined a lot of other TV for me.  That Mike episode was crazy good.

"Five-O"  was an amazing episode.   So glad this show came to be. 

It will be interesting, when this show has seen its final episode, how newcomers to this world will experience it.  If they watch BCS first, and become endeared to Mike and Saul, will they then experience BB in a totally different way than the rest of us who saw BB first.

Carlos.

Carlos,

Interesting point.  I was sort of thinking the same thing last night.  I wonder what the "recommended" viewing order will be.  Similar to the Machete Order for Star Wars (IV, V, II, II, VI) I wonder if it will still be recommended to watch BB first.  I think Mike's episode hit even harder after building up so much love the character in BB.

Roy

RoyNext time you want to introduce someone to Star Wars for the first time, watch the films with them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI

For Next time you want to introduce someone to Star Wars for the first time, watch the films with them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI

• 3 weeks later...