LCVG

Rock Band 4 Announced - October 6th release date.

Starhawk

Rock Band 4 has been officially announced by series developer Harmonix. It's coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later in 2015.

It will support old peripherals, though Mad Catz is creating new ones as well.

Better yet, it will allow players to import all their content from previous games on PS3 and Xbox 360 into this long-awaited series resurgence. The previous Rock Band game, Rock Band 3, launched five years ago in 2010.

We caught up with the game's project manager Daniel Sussman at GDC for further details on why Harmonix thinks now is the time to rejuvenate Rock Band and what's changing in this latest iteration.

"After taking some time off, it was really interesting to kind of come back and play the games that we bled and sweat over for years and years and years. Two things emerged very quickly: One was 'holy motherf***, these games are FUN!' Sussman exclaimed.

"At the same time we were able to be quite critical of the work that we had done and saw lots of room for improvement. And that was really important to us as well because we are all creative people and it was important for us to be able to sink our teeth into to something that was deserving of the 4 at the end of the title. We didn't just want to rehash Rock Band 3 for new consoles. We felt it was really important for us to evolve the gameplay in a way that would be interesting."

Q: Will my old DLC work if I bought a different next gen console, i.e. Xbox 360 -> PS4?

A: Cross platform DLC compatibility is not entirely within our control, as DLC ownership is managed by the 1st parties.

Grumble, grumble.  I might be interested if I can move some or most of my stuff over, but my situation is the exact one above...all of my content and instruments are for 360.  I'm not buying an XBONE.  We'll see I guess...

Unless they find some magical way to transfer Xbox purchased songs to Playstation, Im wondering if I should be seeking out old Rock Band 1, 2 and 3 discs, find a PS3, and add them to my account?

You'd need to find old Rock Band 1-3 discs that hadn't had the one-time codes in them redeemed, which doesn't sound easy at this stage.

Hellz Yea on RB4. I'm hoping I don't need to buy an Xbone to keep my current songs and use my instruments but, if they won't be able to issue a music license from 360 > PS4 then I probably will. Sucks about Keys and Pro mode but, I'm still SUPER excited to have a new RB :) even if I do have to buy an Xbone for it...

One big question mark as far as DLC is concerned is Rock Band 3. Sussman told us that there are currently no plans for a Rock Band 3 disc export. However, he qualified that with a caveat, saying that Harmonix wanted to prioritize the items that were important to its fans. If fans want to see a Rock Band 3 disc export, then let Harmonix know via sources such as Twitter and the official Rock Band forums.

Looks like I'll be buying an Xbox 1 sometime this year, and I'm not upset about having to do so (gives me a good excuse).

Excited to hear about new features and I do hope there aren't too many issues with the DLC and instruments compatibility.

I also wonder if their solution for the instruments will also work for Guitar Hero hardware. Would be nice as I usually use a GH Les Paul for me secondary guitar.

Not too upset about the loss of pro guitar and keys. I have hardware for both, but won't really miss it.

You'd need to find old Rock Band 1-3 discs that hadn't had the one-time codes in them redeemed, which doesn't sound easy at this stage.

Assuming they allow RB 3 Export, and only considering Disc songs at the moment, wouldn't you only need a used copy of RB1 and RB2 with a new copy of RB3? I know on the 360, the RB1 export key was something you purchase in the store, you just had to have the disc. Then the RB 2 Export key was in RB 3. Am I correct in my thinking here?

Assuming they allow RB 3 Export, and only considering Disc songs at the moment, wouldn't you only need a used copy of RB1 and RB2 with a new copy of RB3? I know on the 360, the RB1 export key was something you purchase in the store, you just had to have the disc. Then the RB 2 Export key was in RB 3. Am I correct in my thinking here?

The key gave you access to the purchase in the store, IIRC.  It's been so long but I don't think all of the titles' codes were one-use.  Lego Rock Band was, but Green Day wasn't, for instance.  I seem to recall the codes for Rock Band 2 export were available online as they were multi as well.  Of course, since I Rock Band pretty hard I used to hit a little cocaine during my performances to enhance the realism (my playlist had a lot of 80s stuff on it) so my memory during that time isn't as reliable as others.

Then the RB 2 Export key was in RB 3. Am I correct in my thinking here?

Every game after RB1 had a code on the manual. To export the RB2 songs, you used the code from the RB2 manual (same as that 20 free DLC songs). RB3 also has a code they could use if they get everything worked out. So for RB1, you just need a disc, after that you need unused codes.

Keep in mind too that all the Green Day songs are available as DLC (as well as a few other songs), so if you only want a few of their songs, it may be easier and cheaper to just buy the songs you want. I just calculated that buying all the GD DLC though is $78, so if you want it all, hunting down a cheap copy would be a better value.

I'm a little surprised that the RB3 export isn't an automatic to be honest. I don't know how their licencing agreements work, but after having to re-license the RB1 songs for RB2, I would have thought that would have been part of the agreement for RB3 songs.

but Green Day wasn't, for instance.

I find that hard to believe. If you could use them over and over again, the internet would be flooded with codes and people would be getting all the songs for $10 instead of having to buy the game as well.

Perhaps, but I recall it just checking for a disc in the drive (you access the token purchase through the in-game interface).  I've exported my copy of Rock Band (1) on a more than one family console without issue, but none of the Track Packs.  In fact, I went through quite a few used Track Pack discs at GameStop before finding one that worked.  AC/DC worked the two times I exported from a used version.  And I sure as shit did not pay new retail for my Green Day Ultimate, or whatever the exportable version was called.  So unless some Green Day fan purchased the pre-exportable version of the title, at a $10 premium, and sold it back to GameStop without actually exporting it, the chances might be decent that those codes aren't one-use.  I don't know if that was working as intended or Harmonix opened the codes on some of the long out-of-print titles.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't make sense that Rock Band 1 would even have an export code, much less require one.

The games go for pocket change on eBay, it might not be the worst idea to try a copy of RB1 and see if it exports.

It works better when I actually read what I'm responding to. Zzzz Yeah, I'm not sure that FAQ is accurate, but it probably is. I've exported some of my discs multiple times, but I'm not positive of the circumstances (like if anything got reset/codes released during my usage, etc). It would be a shame if at any time Harmonix let those songs go extinct once the games they're tied to went out of print, now or back when RB3 was still viable.

I've been trying to find one of those red wooden guitars they made at the end of Rock Band 2. Best Buy had them on clearance for $60 and the pro guitar, not the plastic Mustang the one with actual D'Addario strings and such, for $90. I don't have many regrets in life but not picking up one each of those has to be on the list.

• 1 month later...

Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz are on sale along with some track packs, with extra discounts for Gold Members.

• Rock Band 3 (Games on Demand) - Normally $19.99, on sale for $11.99 (40% off), or $9.99 (50% off) with Xbox Gold.
  • Aerosmith Greatest Dimension 6 Pack - Normally $9.99, on sale for $5.99 (40% off), or $4.99 (50% off) with Xbox Gold.
  • The Black Keys Pack 02 - Normally $5.49, on sale for $3.29 (40% off), or $2.75 (50% off) with Xbox Gold.
  • Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Pack 01 - Normally $6.99, on sale for $4.19 (40% off), or $3.49 (50% off) with Xbox Gold.
  • Ozzy Osbourne 8 Pack - Normally $13.49, on sale for $8.09 (40% off), or $6.75 (50% off) with Xbox Gold.
  • Rock Band Blitz - Normally $14.99, on sale for $7.49 (50% off), or $6.00 (60% off) with Xbox Gold. (April 10 - April 12 only)

Too bad I bought 2 of those packs just recently.

• 1 month later...

The first songs for Rock Band 4 have been revealed:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/15/rock-band-4s-first-6-songs-revealed-ign-first

Avenged Sevenfold – "Hail to the King"
Fleetwood Mac – "You Make Loving Fun"
Jack White – "Lazaretto"
The Killers – "Somebody Told Me"
Spin Doctors – "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong"
The Who – "The Seeker"

IGN had a load of RB4 Content this week culminating in live gameplay starting in few minutes.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/05/11/canceled-rock-band-3-sequel-revealed-ign-first - Cancelled RB game called Sessions where you actually made the music instead of just playing it.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/05/12/rock-band-4-gigs-will-test-your-bands-friendship-ign-first - Gigs will be the new story mode. Choose a setlist for a whole gig, vote on songs with your bandmates, change songs and choose songs on the fly for the encore. And apparently it has RPG elements.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/05/04/rock-band-4-may-be-the-last-music-game-youll-ever-need-ign-first?watch - Some hints on what they saw playing the game recently including new features for vocals, changes to drum fills and drums will now count into the songs, which fantastic.

http://ca.ign.com/videos/2015/05/08/how-a-rock-band-song-gets-made-ign-first - How song charts are made.

Some of these videos also include early production work of the actual game.