LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Starhawk

Rock Band 4 Announced - October 6th release date.

The tech behind the solos is ridiculously great.  I only did the tutorial, with my wife taking over guitar duties after that, but even just a couple songs in, she was playing some shockingly convincingly sounding stuff.

I know it just launched yesterday but I hope the DLC issues clears up quickly. Some songs that I know I purchased are asking me to buy them again and they show up as purchased on my 360. Other than that, I've enjoyed what I've played so far aside from the hand cramping as I get used to playing again.

I only wanted the PS4 Guitar bundle but for whatever reason, I didn't preorder until this past Sunday. I figured it was too late for release day shipping, but Amazon said there was time to order and get it Tuesday, so I did. The next day Amazon pushed the delivery forward a day, but UPS still showed Tuesday. All day Tuesday (even at 11pm), UPS continued to show the delivery would be by end of that day but was never "Out for Delivery". It was the weirdest UPS tracking I've seen. Basically though, I knew by late afternoon it wasn't coming. 

I'd seen on reddit that Target would give you 25% off if you spent $1 to pre-order another game. I decided to drop in to see if they had the guitar bundles to save 25% on $129 and just return the late arriving Amazon shipment. They had none. Only 1 PS4 Band in a Box.....FUCK IT, LETS GET IT!

I go to check out and the guy asks me the same thing they always ask me, "Would you like to save an additional 5% by with a Target Red Card?"

"SIGN ME UP, MY GOOD MAN".

I ended up with the band bundle for $179.07 before tax.  :banderas:

Not bad considering just the guitar bundle here in Canada is $180. Thankfully I got mine for like $125 in BestBuys E3 preorder sale, and then they gave me a $5 credit for it being "late".

Make sure you update the instrument firmware.

I took my stratocaster to a friends house to update the firmware. One of the few things I've run into recently where I had to have a PC.

There's been some issues with the drum kit and a new firmware is on the way. Posted by HMXThrasher on Reddit:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for putting this thread together and outlining all the issues you are all seeing with the drum hardware. Getting these issues resolved is a huge priority for us and I wanted to take a moment to walk you through where we are at with each of them.

Pad Sensitivity & Dropped Drum Pad Hits

We have identified and adjusted a number of crosstalk and sensitivity issues on the Rock Band 4 drum set. We’ve fixed this with software. If you have a controller that exhibits this problem, we have a firmware update that’s currently available to address the issue. The feedback we have gotten is that the firmware update successfully resolves the dropped hit issues (commonly found in fast roll sections for example). Testing at Harmonix and at MadCatz has concluded the same. We are aware some people are still reporting that the firmware did not resolve the issue. We will be making an adjustment to the firmware installer to read the current firmware revision of instruments and provide that to players so that they (and we) can confirm that the update was successful. It will be an important tool in working with anyone who is still reporting the dropped notes on rolls after a successful firmware update. Here is the link to the firmware updates for anyone who has not found their way there. We hope to have the revised updater with the versioning readout available to everyone by next week.

http://madcatz.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/608/217/rock-band-4-wireless-controllers-firmware-updates[1]

Kick Drum Pedal Sensitivity

The RB4 kick drum pedal was modeled directly after the RB3 Rock Band pedal and has a slightly higher actuation point (height at which the switch is engaged to register a hit) than the pedals from earlier RB games like RB2 and the Beatles. The end result is that some players that play “heel up” as opposed to “heel down” on the pedal prefer the action from the earlier pedals. Most players that play “heel down” will find the newer pedals more responsive because they hit the actuation point faster, “heel up” players find the older pedals more responsive because they don’t need to depress the pedal as much to register a second hit. For players that prefer the older pedals, they absolutely will work with the new Rock Band 4 drum kit – so feel free to plug those in and use them. This does not require an adapter; you can plug your RB2 pedal directly into your RB4 drum kit. For players that are looking for more sensitivity when playing “heel up” and do not have access to an older RB pedal there are folks who have made some simple modifications to the pedal using rubber stoppers with adhesive or other materials that simply shorten the travel distance of the pedal so reduce the distance from the actuation point to the fully pressed state, resulting in slightly faster response time for those players.

Kick Pedal Double Hits

We are aware of the issue players are seeing where double hits (two kick drum notes in very quick succession) or other extremely fast kick drum passages are not fully registering, i.e. players are getting dropped notes. We have been able to reproduce this issue on expert in several songs. We are also aware that it is pedal agnostic – meaning folks using older Rock Band pedals with the shorter actuation point, or even higher end pro pedals can still experience this issue to some degree. The drum set has a calibration number which the game uses to compensate for how long it takes the drums to register a hit and send that data to the Xbox. The drum pads use a pretty complex algorithm to help filter out cross talk and other vibration so that the drums do not register false hits. This process takes a few milliseconds (~20-30ms specifically). The drum pedal uses a simpler magnetic switch to register a hit so it has a much shorter data path to the console. The firmware inside the drum set helps compensate for the difference between those timings so that the calibration value you set for your drum set feels right for pad hits and pedal hits. Based on the feedback we have been seeing from pro & expert drummers about latency and double hits we have reworked the logic in how we resolve those two timing differences. The result is a new version of the firmware which we have in testing right now. We will roll out this update in the near future.

Hopefully this helped to clarify the issues some of you are seeing. We will continue to monitor everyone’s feedback and make further adjustments as necessary to make sure the drums feel amazing.

Thanks for listening!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/3nxqpg/theory_about_rock_band_4_drum_problems/cvstyne

Reflective moments you have when you're an early adopter:  You see the leaderboard and wonder if you should go pro.

2015-10-08%2001.46.13.jpg?dl=0

Then you realize that there's, like, 30 people with scores posted so you put that decision on the back burner.  

For now.

HA HA HA.  Oh Rockband...you flooded the market with DLC and gimmicks years ago....and now your high end packaged with a price tag that costs more then a console.  ha ha ha

HA HA HA.  Oh Rockband...you flooded the market with DLC and gimmicks years ago....and now your high end packaged with a price tag that costs more then a console.  ha ha ha

I don't understand.

Flooding the market with DLC -- a game like Rock Band lives and dies on its DLC.  Weekly DLC is a good thing, not a negative.

Gimmicks -- I'll give you that pro guitar was a really bad idea.  Other than that, what gimmicks were there, really?  (Personally, I really dug the keyboard controller.)

Price -- If you already have instruments in your console family, RB4 isn't more expensive than any other new release.  Even if you go all out, it's still $100 less than an Xbox One or PS4, so "a price tag that costs more than a console" isn't really grounded in reality...unless you're talking about previous gen consoles, which is a silly point of comparison.

I don't understand.

Flooding the market with DLC -- a game like Rock Band lives and dies on its DLC.  Weekly DLC is a good thing, not a negative.

Gimmicks -- I'll give you that pro guitar was a really bad idea.  Other than that, what gimmicks were there, really?  (Personally, I really dug the keyboard controller.)

Price -- If you already have instruments in your console family, RB4 isn't more expensive than any other new release.  Even if you go all out, it's still $100 less than an Xbox One or PS4, so "a price tag that costs more than a console" isn't really grounded in reality...unless you're talking about previous gen consoles, which is a silly point of comparison.

Not going to argue with a stranger on the internet.  We agree to disagree.  

Don't come along & shit on things on the internet then?

Somebody's gotta.  It's called freedom of speech.  I acknowledge that some people will be loving this return to Musical games.  But some of us aren't so happy to see it's return.  The beautiful thing about the internet is that we can all express our opinions.  Isn't that what you Americans love?  Freedom of Speech.  I'm not invoking any hatred or stopping anybody from buying the game and gear.  I'm just stating my opinion that for my tastes, it's crap.  That is all. 

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/08/24/why-rock-band-4-is-more-expensive-on-xbox-one-than-ps4

http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/259794/rock-band-4-drums-dont-function-xbox-one

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/132135-rock-band-4/72599054

http://www.gamesradar.com/rock-band-4-instrument-song-compatibility/

Regardless if your for or nah against this Rockband version...I believe this is just another fad that will disappear by 2017.  :)

Somebody's gotta. It's called freedom of speech. I acknowledge that some people will be loving this return to Musical games. But some of us aren't so happy to see it's return. The beautiful thing about the internet is that we can all express our opinions. Isn't that what you Americans love? Freedom of Speech. I'm not invoking any hatred or stopping anybody from buying the game and gear. I'm just stating my opinion that for my tastes, it's crap. That is all.

I suppose what's being asked is for something more substantive than "hahaha Rock Band you so shitty!" when expressing said opinion. It's a discussion after all. Dissenting opinions are cetainly welcome here. I have a few of my own. So no one is stifling "freedom of speech". I am, however stifling drive by shit posting that when challenged is met with "I'm not going to argue with a stranger on the Internet." So we circle back to the initial question - if the point of your comment wasn't to engage in a discussion when someone offers their own opposing position, then what was the point of bringing it up at all?

I don't think that's an unfair expectation to have, is it? Honest question.

As a side note, does Adam really get regulated to "stranger on the internet" after being a member here for over 12 damned years. I mean Jesus there are only like 30-40 of us that post regularly not counting the soccer thread. If you think we're strangers than you best look in the mirror as to why.

That post was like Awesomeness Detection.

I'd also like to see a list of gimmicks.  I don't even agree with Adam that Pro mode was a gimmick.  Too ambitious given the point in the timeline of rhythm games or the Rock Band market in particular, maybe, but a gimmick?  Rocksmith takes that "gimmick" and cranks it to 11 and has done so successfully for years now, and people continue to clamor for DLC support (despite having a rather impressive list of DLC as it is).  People are paying crazy amounts of money for the now OOP stringed controller for a shot at playing that now unsupported "gimmicky" aspect of an OOP game.  Maybe we're limiting the experience to the Mustang with the button frets? (Side note:  The Stratocaster Pro Guitar works rather well as a MIDI controller and people use them in their DAWs.  It's about as well-designed a toy as you could possibly get, since it's not a toy at all, really.)

Perhaps gimmicks like saying there is an entire Guns N' Roses album playable in the game, but not disclosing that the album is Chinese Democracy?  I guess that could be a marketing gimmick, never mind Harmonix/Activision never attempted to sell it like that, but I'm trying to be helpful here and come up with something, anything.   :)

If all sequels were as gloriously realized as Rock Band 3 there might not be any more global conflict.  I've heard the Governor of Europe intimate as much.

And I would like to award bonus points for getting up in Brian's grill about American ideals.  It was heartwarming.

As a side note, does Adam really get regulated to "stranger on the internet" after being a member here for over 12 damned years. I mean Jesus there are only like 30-40 of us that post regularly not counting the soccer thread. If you think we're strangers than you best look in the mirror as to why.

I don't know him.  I never played with him on Xbox, Hence he's a "stranger" to me.  

To end this Rockband 4 comment train about my opinion.  It's my opinion that it sucks.  I make said opinion to show that not everybody is excited or feels that we need to step back to when "rythm games" were popular. I don't mean to rain down on your parade or joy of all you guys pulling out your rockband gear and reliving the early 2000's again.  All the more power to you.  I however will be that wooden shoe in the gears of progress and say "No More".    :D

By all means Gentlemen and Ladies (if there is any here, I've been gone for so long that I can't remember if there were girls on this site) have at it.  Rock on my brothers and sisters, Rock On.

As someone who's not bought RB4 yet (or is particularly likely to), here's a an alternative list of complaints that are "free speech" (or, as Randall Monroe put it, Literally Not Illegal To Express, However Obnoxious):

1) RB4's sole new feature (not counting a bunch of new songs, obvs.) appears to be "you don't have to dig your previous generation console out of the cupboard you stashed it in". Which is important for some, but judging from the amount of discussion about importing old DLC that's going around, clearly not a showstopper. If this generation managed backwards compatibility (and Microsoft are making tentative steps in that direction) this could have been some new DLC songs and a HD texture polish.

2) There's a bunch of features missing, though it's still more complete than Guitar Hero Six, I'll grant you. Both my brothers were heavy Rock Band players, and both have Pro instruments. I get that some were down about them - the extra work they added for DLC seemed to cause a hit to both the cost and frequency of releases, after all. But it's another disappointment.

3) This is probably not the best board to complain about it, and beyond that I'm aware that my taste is annoyingly niche. But both series are made by Americans, and that's reflected in the song choices. In terms of hit rate I'm far happier with SingStar, because they pick songs I know, even if not always love.

But anyway; that's why I'm not bothering. That, and my guitars are both getting a bit unreliable, my drums never were any good to start with, and I just don't have room to store it all. It was great fun at the time, but if I want to go back I'll turn the 360 on.

And for the longest time Adam had that avatar of a French news broadcaster. She will be missed.

Yeah this forum isn't like the rest of the internet. We're too damn old for that shit. This isn't the HTF. Informed opinions welcome here. If anything Rock Band has been one of the few models of DLC that is done right. You wanna see how it's done wrong, look at Guitar Hero.

I don't even agree with Adam that Pro mode was a gimmick.

I was trying to think things that might be construed as gimmicks, and all I could come up with were pro guitar and the keyboard controller.  I was whole hog into pro guitar for a while there, gobbling up quite a bit of the DLC that supported it and making a rather massive road trip to get my hands on one of those guitars in the first place.  (The closest place I could find one was Atlanta, and that was a five hour round trip!)  While I love the concept, it felt kind of like a square peg in a round hole.  Rocksmith better realized what I'd hoped pro guitar would be.

As someone who's not bought RB4 yet (or is particularly likely to), here's a an alternative list of complaints that are "free speech" (or, as Randall Monroe put it, Literally Not Illegal To Express, However Obnoxious):

It's been kind of a rocky launch.  My biggest issue at the moment is vocal lag, which Harmonix acknowledges is an issue.  The game interprets what I'm singing when it's supposed to, but I don't actually hear my voice until a half-second or so later.  I have to turn down the mic all the way to enjoy it at all.  I've never had this issue with Rock Band in the past, although I can't remember if I've sang in any of the other games with my current receiver.

To end this Rockband 4 comment train about my opinion.  It's my opinion that it sucks.  I make said opinion to show that not everybody is excited or feels that we need to step back to when "rythm games" were popular. I don't mean to rain down on your parade or joy of all you guys pulling out your rockband gear and reliving the early 2000's again.  All the more power to you.  I however will be that wooden shoe in the gears of progress and say "No More".     :D.

I'm not condemning your opinion.  I'm really digging Rock Band 4 so far -- more than I ever thought I would, and being newly-ish married to someone who's completely addicted to RB4 has smoothened over flaws I'd probably be groaning about otherwise -- but I don't think it's beyond criticism or anything.  I just don't understand your particular criticisms and was hoping you could expound on them.