LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
OldDarth

Hannibal Season 3 - Is it that kind of party?

Watched episode 8 (go Canada!).

I remember getting a littile critical of the show formula up to the mid point of s2, and maybe it is a touch different here since we know Red Dragon will stretch several episodes, but there is actually something really nice about returning to a s1 like structure this week. Every character's personality is in a different place, conversations seem to last longer. Alana is so much more interesting now. I know it wasn't something they ever mentioned, but I think she could have been another interesting candidate as a replacement for Clarice if they ever got to do the Silence of the Lambs.

Armitage is clearly throwing all his weight into playing Dolaryhde. I believe him when he says he did not watch Manhunter or Red Dragon when preparing for the role, but it is nevertheless to see some similarities to the way Fiennes approached it. This is clearly going to be a performance that can hold its own against Fiennes, and probably exceed it given the way the show handles the material.

Wonderful, beautiful episode. Got goosebumps when Will did his thing again, so many years later.

Episode ended almost identically to the S1 finale...just reversed. Man, I absolutely love this show.

Another great episode this week (obviously).

There's a great sense of comfort, and I almost want to say relief, that things are structurally playing out a certain way given that we know there will (likely) be no more episodes. I'm really getting a sense that we will, in fact, get a good sense of closure in a few weeks time even though we may still lust for more. I don't want the series to end, but it being so clear now that Fuller and Co knew this would be their last whilst making it is giving us a second half of s3 that ties in so elegantly with happenings from s1 and s2.

It's almost repetitive to say great episode anymore. They always are. 

I love the role reversal in having Alana as Hannibal's warden instead of Chilton. There's more baggage there in justifying Alana's threats of indignity. She's also grown to be a far more interesting character than she was in the first two seasons.

Mads continues to impress me as one of the best actors working today, IMO. Daniel and I have discussed this in the past but the man has the most incredible control over his eyes. His ability to convey so much while saying nothing is an incredible skill that so few actors have today. I've likened it to Pacino in his prime. Nowhere is this more evident than during the Alana scene as she throws about her threats and his face changes from amusement to rage to the cogs spinning as he plans her murder in his head. It's a joy to behold.

I love that we have two seasons of foundation having been built between Will and Hannibal that gives the Red Dragon story even more depth. I have a connection with this incarnation of Will that I've never had in any other adaptation of this story specifically because this show has taken the time to present Will and Hannibal in this new light.

Finally, I love that Fuller and company are intelligent enough to not fuss about with things that don't need fussing with. The Red Dragon is an excellent book and story and the top level beats that needs to be hit do not require major changes. There's a wonderful sense of familiarity here that I love all while giving us the visual acumen we've come to expect from this show along with the deeper psychology between Hannibal, Will, Jack and Alana.

Oh and Armitage is killing it as Dollarhyde.

Absolutely miraculous how they cover so much ground in this week's episode without it feeling rushed for a single second. A great testament to the writing, directing and editing. 

Man, the imagery in this episode!

D and Hannibal in the same room during his hallucination and the subsequent Red Dragon image on the rock. Any other show would have no idea how to pull that off without being cheesy. It's handled beautifully.

The tiger scene was incredible as was the eventual coupling of Reba and Dollarhyde. His viewing her as the woman clothed in sun was another brilliant visual that ties into the narrative.

I like the twist introduced at the end though I'm curious how they'll handle his face now having been seen.

Only three more episodes.:/

"I'm sorry, Jack. The tragedy of what's happened to Frederick has put me in an excellent humor."

LOL this show. The look on Hannibals face after he says that and smiles at Alana is amazing.

The Chilton scenes were horrifying!

YaWRpX9.gif

Mads..*banderas*

So...only one more. Can't complain about how Hannibal is hitting the finish line, at least. In a week, I'll be legitimately depressed. But for a week, I'll be thrilled about the finale.

Wow, what an ending! That has got to be the bloodiest network TV show that ever aired.

And that bit (bite?) with Bedelia at the very end was absolutely nightmarish.

Carlos.

My S3 set ships from Amazon on the 7th of December. Eager to revisit it. I never posted about the finale because frankly, I so loved this show,that it was painful knowing I'd never see another episode.:/