LCVG
Angry the Clown

Anyone running mkv rips of their movie collections via Plex? (aka A Media Server Conundrum)

I'm still pondering how to handle the storage needs for my media and the best recipe for digitizing my video material. It will be just for home use and not for portable devices.

In the interim I am digitizing my music collection which seems pretty straight forward and requires much less storage. I'm using EAC and compressing them into Flac format.

I noticed today there are more labels for extras:

Where -Extra_Type is one of:

-behindthescenes

-deleted

-featurette

-interview

-scene

-short

-trailer

Dan, there's also a built in Optimization feature now that will transcode files for you. You can also set up a smart playlist of sorts to pre-transcode more compatible versions of your "5 most recently added unwatched movies" that would then delete the optimized one after viewing.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/213095317-Creating-Optimized-Versions

I don't think the Plex encoder is as good as handbrake at all though. Im running a 4mbps test now just to see.

I should be getting Pioneer's external BD Drive for Christmas so I can start ripping a lot of my Blu Ray collection to add to Plex. I have already ripped all of my DVDs that I do not plan on replacing with Blu Rays. I am not concerned with extras, just the film and the primary soundtrack. Cam/Dan, can you post or PM your handbrake settings again for us late to the BD party? :)

-Dean-

I should be getting Pioneer's external BD Drive for Christmas so I can start ripping a lot of my Blu Ray collection to add to Plex. I have already ripped all of my DVDs that I do not plan on replacing with Blu Rays. I am not concerned with extras, just the film and the primary soundtrack. Cam/Dan, can you post or PM your handbrake settings again for us late to the BD party? :)

-Dean-

Basically, I take the High Profile Setting, change Constant Quality setting to 16, and add this to the Additional Options field:

vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=4000:crf-max=25
You'd still need to adjust the audio tracks and subtitles to your liking.

I do heavy action films at maxrate 10,000 and buffsize 5000. That sometimes works form grainy films too, although for very grainy I will go up to 12,000/6000. 

Just beware of movies with player generated subtitles for foreign language scenes, like one line of french in Winter Soldier for example, as that is one specific subtitle track you need to have selected in Make MKV (What i do is I select all the english subtitle track options, then rip. Once ripped I open the mkv file in VLC and cycle through the subtitle tracks to see which is the right one. You need to know where in the movie a foreign language is spoken of course. I just had to do this with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes that I bought last week as all the ape sign language is its own subtitle track. Rogue Nation was another recent one). 

--big (8Mbps) is now the default in Don's scripts. The old default is not appropriately called --small.

He's also playing around with a new ABR method.

Finally hauled all my DVDs ( all TV stuff) from storage today so there's a new pile to slog through in Make MKV and handbrake. :) At least these will take up no space. I've really missed all my Simpsons sets and more obscure comedy content. 

Damn. There is no way to add special features tags like there is for movies with TV content in Plex?

No, there isn't.  For some things I've added videos to the "Specials" season.  Sometimes they are fleshed out in thetvdb but more often then not, I just name things myself.  Keeping deleted scenes or features with a specific episode or season is not possible :-(

It's another one of those really weird Plex oversights. Have followed your lead and created a specials folder. Thanks.

The lack of flexibility with unmatched content is the only real issue I have with Plex, especially in the TV folder. I have a folder full of animated Christmas specials that I would like to have as Christmas Specials under TV that I spent, what feels like a whole day, trying to get it into a workable solution.

How do his new settings translate to settings in Handbrake itself? Any idea? I've a pile of new stuff not yet transcoded, plus I'll pick up Force Awakens in the coming weeks so I'd have something to experiment with. 

How do his new settings translate to settings in Handbrake itself? Any idea? I've a pile of new stuff not yet transcoded, plus I'll pick up Force Awakens in the coming weeks so I'd have something to experiment with. 

I've run some quick tests and it looks like the CRF is changed to 1 (instead of 16) and he adds qpmax=34 to the end of the Advanced string.

This is Sunset Boulevard run through the new script with default --old-beahvior:

--output=Sunset_Boulevard_t00.mkv --markers --encoder=x264 --crop=0:0:0:0 --strict-anamorphic --encoder-level=auto --quality=16 --rate=30 --pfr --audio=1 --aencoder=ca_aac --encopts=vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=4000:crf-max=25 --encoder-preset=medium --encoder-profile=high

And this is the new default behavior only:

--output=Sunset_Boulevard_t00.mkv --markers --encoder=x264 --crop=0:0:0:0 --strict-anamorphic --encoder-level=auto --quality=1 --rate=30 --pfr --audio=1 --aencoder=ca_aac --encopts=vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=4000:crf-max=25:qpmax=34 --encoder-preset=medium --encoder-profile=high

When I actually start an encode, the log shows:

[10:54:07]  * video track
[10:54:07]    + decoder: h264
[10:54:07]    + filters
[10:54:07]      + Framerate Shaper (2:27000000:900000)
[10:54:07]        + frame rate: 23.976 fps -> peak rate limited to 30.000 fps
[10:54:07]      + Crop and Scale (1920:1080:0:0:0:0)
[10:54:07]        + source: 1920 * 1080, crop (0/0/0/0): 1920 * 1080, scale: 1920 * 1080
[10:54:07]    + strict anamorphic
[10:54:07]      + storage dimensions: 1920 * 1080, mod 0
[10:54:07]      + pixel aspect ratio: 1 / 1
[10:54:07]      + display dimensions: 1920 * 1080
[10:54:07]    + encoder: H.264 (libx264)
[10:54:07]      + preset:  medium
[10:54:07]      + options: vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=4000:crf-max=25:qpmax=34
[10:54:07]      + profile: high
[10:54:07]      + level:   auto
[10:54:07]      + quality: 1.00 (RF)
[10:54:07]  * audio track 1
[10:54:07]    + decoder: English (FLAC) (2.0 ch) (track 1, id 0x1)
[10:54:07]      + samplerate: 48000 Hz
[10:54:07]    + mixdown: Stereo
[10:54:07]    + encoder: AAC (Apple AudioToolbox)
[10:54:07]      + bitrate: 160 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
[10:54:07] reader: first SCR 0 id 0x0 DTS 0
[10:54:07] encx264: min-keyint: 24, keyint: 240
[10:54:07] encx264: encoding at constant RF 1.000000
[10:54:07] encx264: unparsed options: vbv-maxrate=8000:vbv-bufsize=4000:crf-max=25:qpmax=34