LCVG
Angry the Clown

Anyone running mkv rips of their movie collections via Plex? (aka A Media Server Conundrum)

Also using Disk Utility to create a CDR file image of each disc to store as a backup. We'll see how that works.

It does, but I've not been able to get it to work. It's always grayed out? User error is entirely possible.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good program for combining MKV files on a Mac? Getting into my workflow and it's apparent that's going to be have to be an approach to take. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

Anybody have any recommendations on a good program for combining MKV files on a Mac? Getting into my workflow and it's apparent that's going to be have to be an approach to take. Thanks!

MKVToolNix. I used that with great success. I even went to great lengths combining each extended Lord of the Rings film without a blackout between files (somewhere at the time I found time codes to edit them together seamlessly). I think that's the same app I used to add alternate audio tracks to video files too (like the Laserdisc mono PCM audio from Terminator).

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the help. I've finally got a bit of a workflow down. Bought MacX DVD Ripper Pro, and it can rip to MKV and clone ISO in a single step. It is also supposed to be able to merge MKV files but crashes every time I've tried it so far -- so MKVToolNix it might have to be. Still, making progress.

Ripped "Backbeat" tonight and fired it up on the Amazon Fire Cube to see how it looked. Ended up watching the whole flick -- a fave but I always forget just how much I enjoy it. Could definitely see that it was 480p material but overall, the picture was pretty damn good streaming MKV straight from my Synology NAS. Only a couple of the briefest instances where I got any kind of minor pixelation. Also ripped my Criterion 8 1/2 -- looking forward to seeing how that one looks (and if the subtitles ripped correctly!)

• Like 2

Welp, I thought my Pioneer BDR-XS07S drive could read HD-DVD, but either it can't or OS X Catalina refuses to mount the discs. More research, it seems....

No idea about OSX, but I found the easy way to rip HD-DVD was to plug in the external drive they released for the Xbox 360.

• Like 1

Finally got around to following Dan's recommendation and downloaded MKVToolNix. It is stupidly easy to use (thanks, Dan!) and finishes out my workflow. Haven't had much time to rip the last week or so (I've been working more at the office, so I can't feed the beast a new disc every half-hour,) but I'm steadily getting there. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoying watching this "old" media now that I have it at my fingertips again.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoying watching this "old" media now that I have it at my fingertips again.

It's surprising how much friction there is in putting a disc in a player vs pressing a button. It doesn't make sense, but it's real.

Although, this opens up the next problem you'll have: So much at your fingertips you don't know what to watch. (The Shuffle Button in Plex comes in handy here).

• Like 2

I'm finally getting back to finishing up my ripping! I started 7 years ago. Side note: the NAS & drives are still working flawlessly, running 24/7 most of that time.

• Like 3

I've decided not to go ahead with trying this again for the time being. It's money best saved or spent elsewhere. The discs WILL start piling up on the floor pretty soon though, but... 🤷‍♂️

It’s hard to believe how long ago it was that I started. It feels really good to have it digitized/backed up. Going forward, I feel like I’m mostly going to be streaming TV & movies, except rare exceptions where I must have extras or something on the home release for films/show that I’m really into. Or something not available elsewhere. I still buy CDs when available.

• Like 1

Anyone have trouble ripping recent Fox titles?  My brother had picked up Call of the Wild and Underwater, lent me the blurays so i can add them to my plex server but makemkv couldn’t rip them. I’m on a Mac.  

I haven’t tried to rip those specific titles so can’t say but, Fox and other studios used to hide the movie files in the folder structure so you had to tell MakeMKV to pull everything and then remove the junk and repack the file. Haven’t had to do that in a while now though. 

So I've started to rip Blu-Rays -- it made no sense to rip the DVDs only to turn around rip the same title on Blu-Ray again -- and I'm running into another issue. For some reason, Plex is reporting that all my MKV files are only viewable in AAC Stereo. It won't show that any multichannel TrueHD or DTS tracks are available, even though I should be preserving those in the MKV? I've not seen this issue with DVDs -- DD and DTS 5.1 tracks show up without issue. Any ideas?

It might show up in Finder or File Explorer just by viewing the details pane of the file. 

An app like MediaInfo will show you pretty much everything. 

• Like 1

If the files themselves don't have the HD audio tracks, you'll want to make some changes to your MakeMKV settings to make sure those tracks are being pulled in. 

• Like 1

Nope, not there. That's very frustrating. Going to have to figure out what's going on. I'm using Leawo DVD Ripper, but might have to switch to MakeMKV. I just wish it had a preview window as that makes it easy to sort through the different extras, etc. to find what I want to keep.

44 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Nope, not there. That's very frustrating. Going to have to figure out what's going on. I'm using Leawo DVD Ripper, but might have to switch to MakeMKV. I just wish it had a preview window as that makes it easy to sort through the different extras, etc. to find what I want to keep.

Wow, yeah a preview window would be amazing for MakeMKV. What I normally do is look up the disc on blu-ray.com and go the review section which almost always has the running time for each extra, and tick off the boxes for those selections in the MakeMKV window. 

• Like 1