LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Megaman Legacy Collection Announced (PS4, XB1, PC, 3DS)

Haha, thanks, Cameron. I love a good ramble anyway, but I'm glad other people enjoy it.

First thing that's striking me about Mega Man 6 is how friggin easy it is. I've already downed five Robot Masters in about forty minutes, used no E Tanks, and in one case fought the boss with the wrong weapon.

You can tell the series was going through the motions at this point in some aspects - we have yet another bloody shield weapon and Tomahawk Man's weapon is a straight palette swap of GyroMan's from 5. Like glaringly obvious.

On the flip side, you've got a lot of fun stages and the Rush Adaptors, which I love. The Power Adaptor is largely superfluous but for its smashing ability, but the Jet Adaptor is the best flight mechanism in these games and a godsend for your maneuverability AND it self-recharges.

Also, there's a ridiculous amount of casual racism/stereotyping in this game. The theme of the Robot Masters coming from different countries and such is great, but then you have Tomahawk Man in the Wild West, the turban-clad Flame Man in the Middle East 'oil field' level, and Yamamoto Man in feudal Japan. It's not off-putting but funny to see what they got away with in the day.

Big props for the curling stone robots in Blizzard Man's stage though!

Also, there's a ridiculous amount of casual racism/stereotyping in this game. The theme of the Robot Masters coming from different countries and such is great, but then you have Tomahawk Man in the Wild West, the turban-clad Flame Man in the Middle East 'oil field' level, and Yamamoto Man in feudal Japan. It's not off-putting but funny to see what they got away with in the day.

Woah! Keep that SJW crap to yourself, Sarkeesian! We don't need politics infecting our video games.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play some Bioshock.

Mega Man 6 is in the bag. It's maddeningly easy at points to an extent that the other games never were. You can get by major sections on E-Tanks and with some judicious saves I think the buster could complete a good 80% of this game on its own.

Rush Adaptors, still the best. To expand on what I said above, there are some sections in the Wily castle that really play off the maneuverability afforded to you and they're amongst the best parts of the game.

I'm not as burnt out as I thought I would be. In terms of overall quality, I think 2&3 are legitimate classics. 1 started it all, but the design isn't there yet. 5&6 are good games and have some fun little bits here. I think this replay gave me more appreciation for 5 than I used to have.

Also this collection includes Mega Man 4. :P

Oof, that's really tough. I think I'd have to give the nod to 3, since it really nails down the Mega Man formula and has the most interesting storyline of the series.

The second one is just behind it, and I do love the metal blades to bits, but 3 just has so much good stuff. 2's better for bosses though - 3 regurgitates from 1 a little too much there.

I’m on vacation this week and just happened to have some free time at home alone. I decided take a break from my Resident Evil series replay to dive back into one of the most-beloved video game series from my childhood: the NES Mega Man games.

I’ve had the Legacy Collection sitting on my Xbox One’s hard drive for a while, but haven’t played through any of the games until now. I thought I might share some quick thoughts on each game. I tried to play each one as legit as possible, but I will admit to using save states throughout each game so that I didn’t have to endlessly replay stages over and over again.

Mega Man

This is the least impressive of the old NES games. I’m always surprised by how sloppy the controls feel. Its brutal difficulty doesn’t help matters any, especially with modern HDTVs. The Rock Monster at the end of the first Dr. Wily stage was always tough, but the aditional input lag from a modern television combined with the lag from a wireless controller do not make it any easier.

Still, I have a certain fondness for this game. It’s short, to the point, and if you know what you’re doing, can be finished pretty quickly.

Favorite Weapon: Elec Beam

Favorite Song: Ice Man

Mega Man 2

The best in the series as far as I’m concerned. It does just about everything right. The graphics pop of the screen like no other NES game. It has the best music tracks as well. Every song is a 10/10. The controls feel tight and responsive. The levels are challenging without being unfair. The bosses are iconic. It’s the complete package from beginning to end. 

Favorite Weapon: Metal Blade (of course!)

Favorite Song: Bubble Man

Mega Man 3

This game is nearly the equal of Mega Man 2, but it’s held back because it feels a bit over-stuffed. The Doc Robot stages—the ones you play between the 8 robot masters and the Dr. Wily castle—are a drag to play. They’re long, overly difficult, and I hate that you have to fight all the bosses from the second game again, and there are two per stage. It picks up toward the end though, and there’s enough good here to elevate it to nearly the top of the pile.

Favorite Weapon: Needle Canon

Favorite Song: Snake Man

Mega Man 4

I think its safe to say that, from here on out, the NES games never quite reach the same heights again. Capcom does its best to breathe new life in the Mega Man formula, with mixed results. The Mega Buster is a cool addition, and some of the levels bring some unique new challenges such as quick sand and auto-scrolling. There are even a few branching paths to explore if you wish. Still, this game does not live up to the legacy of the earlier games. 

Favorite Weapon: Pharaoh Shot

Favorite Song: Pharaoh Man

Mega Man 5

Of the three games in the second trilogy, this is probably my favorite. I’m not sure why. The only real complaint I have after replaying it is that some of the level design feels cheap with several instant death traps that are very difficult to avoid (I’m looking at you, Crystal Man stage). Definitely be sure to collect all the MEGAMANV letters in each stage though so you can get Beat. If you do, you’re in for the easiest Dr. Wily fight in the series.

Favorite Weapon: Beat

Favorite Song: Star Man

Mega Man 6

This game is pretty much going through the motions. It’s what you would expect from the sixth installment. The new Rush adaptors are pretty cool, but I could do without seeing the animation of them attaching to Mega Man every time I select them. I’m also not exactly sure why I should bother to collect the BEAT letters either. Beat doesn’t seem to be very useful in this game. Also, the music is more or less forgettable. There are a couple good tracks here, but nothing truly memorable.

Favorite Weapon: Silver Tomahawk

Favorite Song: Knight Man

• Like 2

As I said in my own play through, I think 4 is easily my least favourite of those games. I genuinely had to slog my way through it.

The Rush adaptor jet pack is probably my favourite equipped item that isn’t the metal blades.

I'm still trying to play the first one the old-fashioned way, and man am I struggling.  Then I looked online and found there's an optimal way to play the sequences, and it's not Cutman stage first...

54 minutes ago, Dimness said:

I'm still trying to play the first one the old-fashioned way, and man am I struggling.  Then I looked online and found there's an optimal way to play the sequences, and it's not Cutman stage first...

Nope, always start with Bomb Man. I remember reading a Nintendo hints and tips book (not published by Nintendo) long ago that recommended fighting the robots in an order that was completely wrong. If I remember correctly, they told you to start with Guts Man and end with Elec Man. Imagine how surprised I was when I discovered that Cut Man’s weapon lays waste to Elec Man in three hits or how Elec Man’s weapon can similairly take out Ice Man. That first game is tough, but knowing the right order to fight the robots makes things remarkably easy.

For the record, here’s how I take on the robots in each game (more or less):

Spoiler

Mega Man

Bomb Man

Guts Man

Cut Man

Elec Man

Ice Man

Fire Man

Mega Man 2

Air Man

Crash Man

Metal Man

Bubble Man

Heat Man

Wood Man

Flash Man

Quick Man

Mega Man 3

Magnet Man

Hard Man

Top Man

Shadow Man

Spark Man

Snake Man

Gemini Man

Needle Man

Mega Man 4

Toad Man

Bright Man

Pharaoh Man

Ring Man

Dust Man

Skull Man

Dive Man

Drill Man

Mega Man 5

Gravity Man

Gyro Man

Crystal Man

Napalm Man

Stone Man

Charge Man

Wave Man

Star Man

Mega Man 6

Wind Man

Flame Man

Blizzard Man

Plant Man

Tomahawk Man

Yamato Man

Knight Man

Centaur Man

Also, I’ll just leave this here.

My very first issue of Nintendo Power was the one with Mega Man 2 on the cover, and I always remember their recommended Boss order started with:

• Air Man
  • Crash Man
  • Metal Man

and Im like, why not start with Metal Man?

Edit: Jeff, just saw you do the same thing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Edit: Jeff, just saw you do the same thing.

Hey, I had that same issue of Nintendo Power (it was my second). Old habits die hard, I guess.

Technically, this is the best order to take the robots in if you want to use another’s weapon on them:

Spoiler

Air Man

Crash Man

Flash Man

Quick Man

Metal Man

Bubble Man

Heat Man

Wood Man

My biggest problem with the Nintendo Power’s recommendation is that Metal Man was—for me at least—one of the harder bosses to beat with just Mega Man’s gun. The same goes for starting with him, obviously. Once you get the Metal Blade though, you’re in business for the rest of the game.

• Like 1

Yeah my logic was Metal Man's biggest weakness is his own weapon, and beating him with the mega buster was doable. So I was thinking why not have the Metal Blades from the get go? But your order above makes sense because Metal Man has a weakness to the Quick Man gun (I think).

• Like 1

Always, always began with Metal Man. Those are the best weapons ever made in a Mega Man game.

Mind, when we’d get bored, my cousin and I would do stages out of order. Do Quick Man without the Flash weapon; that’s a WILD ride let me tell you.

I think part of the reason I don’t like 4 is because of how strapped to the correct order you are. It’s pretty miserable trying to do them in anything but the ‘recommended’.

I usually start with Blizzard Man in 6 :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark E said:

Mind, when we’d get bored, my cousin and I would do stages out of order. Do Quick Man without the Flash weapon; that’s a WILD ride let me tell you.

If you mean the stage, I think I have that permanently imprinted in my muscle memory. Brrrrzzzzzzzz..... Brrrrzz..Brrrrzz....Brrrrzzzzzz

Yeah, meant the stage proper. I tried to do it with the legacy collection but I feel my old man reflexes are not quite what they were in their heyday ;).

16 minutes ago, Mark E said:

Yeah, meant the stage proper. I tried to do it with the legacy collection but I feel my old man reflexes are not quite what they were in their heyday ;).

I am positive the lag from the game (which is decent, but it's there) and the lag from your TV play a bigger role than age 👍

46 minutes ago, Mark E said:

The spot in the second section where you grab the health power-up is ridiculously close, you mad bastard ;)

Yeah I did not mean to hug right there and course corrected it as the screen refereshed. A “happy lil accident” as Bob Ross would say. 

I'd heard they added in a rewind feature to this collection a while back, but when I loaded this up the other day, I noticed they also added an option to select either "Normal" or "Turbo" CPU speed. Digital Eclipse remade these games with the NES slowdown intact, and now you can turn that off if you want.

I love having this as an option because removing the slowdown really changes how the game plays and feels from what I remember on the NES!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

I'd heard they added in a rewind feature to this collection a while back, but when I loaded this up the other day, I noticed they also added an option to select either "Normal" or "Turbo" CPU speed. Digital Eclipse remade these games with the NES slowdown intact, and now you can turn that off if you want.

I love having this as an option because removing the slowdown really changes how the game plays and feels from what I remember on the NES!

Oh wow, I did not know this. Having the rewind option is nice, but removing the slow down would make things interesting. I should boot up Mega Man 2 tonight and see if I notice a difference.