LCVG

HBO's Soprano's Discussion

MrJames

Sopranos is finally back for its fifth season. The bad news is its not coming until March 7th. I just caught the tail end of a clip on HBO showing Tony beating the hell out of someone at the Bing. Didn't see who it was but figured it was the dipshit bartender who couldn't transfer a phone call a few seasons ago. Steve Buscemi was the scene as well.

HBO's website mow has a short clip between Tony and Carmella in the kitchen. It seems someone is after Tony's family or at least AJ. Click under promo, then Season 5 Exclusive.

Linkage

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Here's a noob question.

What's the Sopranos like? I keep hearing great things about it but I'm not sure I want to shell out 80 bucks or so to get the first season on DVD. I have zero experience with it. None. But I do enjoy a good mob film.

The video store no longer carries any of the 1st season DVDs.

Also, what is the quality of the DVDs? They are 16 x 9 Anamorphic and 5.1, correct? No deinterlacing artifacts, I hope, like so many TV series DVDs?

Excellent start for this season. Much stronger of an opening than Season 4 which just didn't seem "right". The tension between Carmella and Tony is escalating. The kids are choosing sides. A whole slew of new mobsters are hitting the street and now Tony is hot for Melfi!

A question...Did Janice apparently marry Bobby? She says something about her wedding ring missing and I guess my memory of season 4 is hazy but it appears as though she has.

Sam, the Sopranos are kind of hard to explain to someone who hasn't seen any episodes. Everyone I know who have taken a chance on the Sopranos have ended up hooked. The dvd's are pricey and the quality is decent. Nothing to be considered reference level but they are 16:9 anamorphic with 5.1.

Excellent episode tonight. Only with this show knowing the characters for four years can I get a chuckle at what happened to the poor waiter. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go sit in my back yard with my AK and smoke a cigar. :green:

Originally posted by MrJames@Mar 7 2004, 10:47 PM

Sam, the Sopranos are kind of hard to explain to someone who hasn't seen any episodes. Everyone I know who have taken a chance on the Sopranos have ended up hooked. The dvd's are pricey and the quality is decent. Nothing to be considered reference level but they are 16:9 anamorphic with 5.1.

Excellent episode tonight. Only with this show knowing the characters for four years can I get a chuckle at what happened to the poor waiter. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go sit in my back yard with my AK and smoke a cigar. :green:

Thank you, James.

I guess there's only one way to find out if I'll like it...

Guest Bryan

I was actually happy that the bear made it out alive. Waiter - ouch!

I have to say that my favorite part of this episode was the interplay between Paulie and Christopher. Those two guys speak volumes with their facial expressions and eyes.

I still get a laugh out of Paulie's hair.

Robert Loggia was born to play gangster characters.

Somebody whack Janice - please!!

Originally posted by FutureVoid@Mar 7 2004, 10:42 PM

A question...Did Janice apparently marry Bobby? She says something about her wedding ring missing and I guess my memory of season 4 is hazy but it appears as though she has.

There was no marriage in Season four but I remember they were getting serious. Not sure if thats David Chase's way of letting us know they got hitched or if the lost ring will become a storyline for something bigger down the road.

I don't think that killing the bear would have really served a purpose. It was probably just put in to show how big of a wuss that AJ is. :green:

Originally posted by MrJames@Mar 7 2004, 10:47 PM

Everyone I know who have taken a chance on the Sopranos have ended up hooked.

I gave it a shot and tried many times to get into the show. No luck. Not even a little. The show seems very well-crafted; I really don't know why I don't care for it (and I wasn't going to miss Arrested Development last night for anything).

-j

So was Lorraine Bracco's head grafted onto another body, or was that her? Yum, either way.

It WAS NOT her body. That body belonged to a 20 something year old. You could tell in some of her business suits she carries a few extra pounds. Anyone think she'll get whacked by the end of the season? I do.

Guest Bryan

Nope Mike. The final fadeout in the final episode will be Tony sitting in her office rationalizing whatever climactic event just took place...

Originally posted by Robot Monkey+Mar 8 2004, 09:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robot Monkey @ Mar 8 2004, 09:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MrJames@Mar 7 2004, 10:47 PM

Everyone I know who have taken a chance on the Sopranos have ended up hooked.

I gave it a shot and tried many times to get into the show. No luck. Not even a little. The show seems very well-crafted; I really don't know why I don't care for it (and I wasn't going to miss Arrested Development last night for anything).

-j [/b]

Don't mean to derail the thread, but I LOVE Arrested Development!!!

I'm getting the DVD sets, if/when they come out, for sure.

Don't remember any good quotes from last night's EP, but here's one of my favs:

Michael: Buster, Mom called and said she doesn't care whether you live or die, but if you're still alive she wants you to show up at the courthouse wearing the blue sweater.

Buster: Damnit! I hate that blue sweater.

Michael: She also said to wear the grey pants. They look good with the blue sweater.

Buster: Damnit! She's right!

:lmfao:

I know it's nothing new, but I love the Mom/Buster dynamic. Hell, I love all the different relationships in AD.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonights episode was simply great television. The final scene almost got a tear out of my wife and I. I may be alone in saying that the first three episodes of this season have been more exciting and presented more possibilities for where to take The Sopranos than the last two season openers combined. I love the new influx of mob guys. Feech is a pain in the ass and more of a loose cannon than Ralphie or Paulie. With all the crap happening in the New York family I can only imagine what the hell Tony's going to do when he has to deal with Feech's crap as well.

Anyone else just waiting for Buschemi to finally get sucked into all this? I am really enjoying how they are approaching the character of Tony B. They could have just came in and taken advantage of Buschemis' image from Reservoir Dogs etc. (ie taken the easy way) but they are playing it very subtle and I can't wait to see him explode.

Also have to mention the argument scene with Janice and Tony. Man I couldn't believe she socked him one and even more I was fucking cheering Tony for saying the things most of us have thought about Janice in the last 2-3 years of the show. Poor Bobby. The guy is going to need therapy soon (Melfi's available after all right? ;) ).

You know watching Soprano's this season really gets me to thinking about how much I now miss Oz on HBO. Sure the DVD sets are nice but man was that series finale unsatisfying...

I loved the Junior and Bobby reference when they were watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. I think this is shaping up to be the best season yet.

Man I couldn't believe she socked him

I thought it was Artie that took the shot in the face? It brought back memories from last year with him and the frenchman.

Anyone else just waiting for Buschemi to finally get sucked into all this?

[silvio]

Just when I thought I was out, theeeeeey pull me back in.

[/silvio]

I'm semi addicted to this year's Sopranos but I'm not a huge fan overall of the series. I've been speculating that the new characters won't last a year on the show. I suspect Robert Loggia will be the first to go(at the hands of Paulie) but that is a random gut feeling at this point.