LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Media Molecules new IP - Dreams [PS4] - February 14th 2020

Forgot to share this when Easy Allies posted it quite recently. Brandon is very excited about it and got a lot out of his playthrough, and this video is a great back and forth with him discussing his experience with Kyle:

I'm hoping for release date or beta release new tonight.

Magic. We’re going to see extraordinary things come out of the community for this game. I won’t be one of those individuals, but it’s a day one purchase for me regardless (and I stopped buying PS4 games on release ages ago). I am compelled to support its very existence as best I can.

Glad they mentioned the beta for 2018 at the end, even if they’re still not putting a firm date on it.

I hadn't watched that E3 demo until now. Holy hell! The tools are amazingly powerful. Even for dummies like me.

Also I have a deep crush on Holly.:drudge

I wonder if making the toolset accessible is one of the things that has taken so long. I think on Easy Allies they said a while back there MM also kept having new ideas and had to repeatedly go back to Sony to get approval to keep working away on the project to get them implemented. Eventually they're going to have to stop and release this damn thing. :) We really are going to see some extraordinary things made with this.

Hope the beta is still in course for winter.

https://www.gameinformer.com/dreams

Has a Hub for their content they have to compliment their cover story on Dreams. The more I find out about this “game” the more curious I am about it. 

I listened to the podcast where they talked about it quite a bit. It’s quite interesting. They really emphasized how this is really a game engine where people will be able to create just about anything they want. The artists are using this 100% to create the game, and are even finding it quicker for other projects instead of using a more traditional program like photoshop.

The biggest hurdle for this game is messaging and marketing. There are always going to be those that see this type of thing and say “well I’m not going to make anything, so I don’t want this” which has always confounded me a bit because I’d want it to see what crazy things other people are coming up with. 

I bought the original Quake back in the day, not to play Quake, but to try out all the mods that were being made. 

As they said in the podcast, nobody thinks “I don’t make videos, so I don’t need to go to YouTube”. Which is true, but it is a flawed analogy. 

Maybe they could come out with a limited client only version of the game for those that just want to play the stuff that people make, but have no interest in creating anything? 

Also neat was the talk about how they want to help creators find one another to work on projects, and for people playing, how they want to have YouTube style playlists and recommendations, with background loading while you’re playing another game, so you can just keep playing one after another. 

With how flexible this thing really seems to be, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if something came out that was such a breakout hit that people buy Dreams to play it. 

Amazing. 

Sad I missed out on the beta invite window, not that I think I'd have time, but some of the stuff coming out of the test period is just extraordinary.

MM's Twitch stream has actually been the best place to follow progress and beta stuff for a while now:

https://www.twitch.tv/media_molecule

I genuinely think that a number of people who will create stuff in Dreams are going to find themselves with industry job offers.  Little Big Planet lead to that in a few instances, but this game is going to something else entirely. Quite brilliant. 

• Like 1

That Wipeout level designer has zero game development experience too. I really rather love how Dreams is creeping up on people. It’s difficult to predict the impact it might have on release, but it stands to be one of the most extraordinary software achievements in game history. 

I’m curious to see how it will continue over into the PS5 era. In worry about it coming so late in the PS4’s life that it will go largely unnoticed. There’s surely a long term plan within Media Molecule/Sony. I hope so anyway. Media Molecule recently hinted that they are even keen to take the tools “beyond Playstaion.”

I recently joked with a family member about making a video game relating to some things in our childhood.

And then today I realized I could make it in Dreams. I started looking up YouTube tutorials today 😂

• Like 2

I picked up my copy this morning. The main "game" as it were (designed by MM) is only about three hours long but it has been getting a ton of praise for its visuals, music and ingenuity. I look forward to playing through it and partaking in the community creations!