LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Media Molecules new IP - Dreams (PS4) - VR Support coming July 22nd..

I'm still very interested in trying this. Of all the games I have missed out on since parting with the PS4 this might be the one I'm sad I did not get to support with a purchase, because as I've written before, if nothing else I love that it exists. I need to get a lot better at time management if I am to play something like this though, or get back into games like Elite and Planet Coaster. My personal interest is still a desire to try and make animated short films within Dreams, which is absolutely possible, though I am not sure if you can export footage into dedicated third party editing and vfx software on a computer to polish things up further. 

It will be interesting to see if this gets any kind of PS5 enhancement. You'd think that it's a title they're really like to ensure carries over nicely into the next gen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It will be interesting to see if this gets any kind of PS5 enhancement. You'd think that it's a title they're really like to ensure carries over nicely into the next gen.

It would be criminal if it didn’t. With the amount of time invested in this game (this thing was shown at the PS4 reveal!), it being released so close to the PS5 launch, and the potential it has. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they give it a big push almost like a brand new game for PS5. 

I bought it on the current sale and have watched a few videos about some of the best content, but I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. 

I honestly can’t wrap my head around how this game even works. All the games look completely different and are different genres. 

• Like 1

What if.... they released a PS5 patch at launch, but also made it one of the free PS+ game for that month. I think that would be fantastic to say “Here is a powerful new game system, oh and you can make your own games on it too, and play 1000s of other people’s creations, and it’s for PS4 also”. 

I know it is early for it to be a PS+ game, but I think it would be amazing to get this tool into as many hands as possible. 

I was just watching (actually in the middle of watching) a video about Dreams and there is an interview with the Creative Director at Media Molecule talking about how with computers in the 80’s, anyone could make games for them. With consoles, that wasn’t possible and has made it a lifelong mission to allow for that. 

I think it would be a fantastic gesture by Sony to help with this (even more than they have already by just allowing this game to be made). 

I played this for awhile tonight. 

My thoughts on the dreams I played:

Opposite day series - These are a series of meta, humorous games with some silly/clever writing that remind me a bit of the Stanley Parable (Opposite Day 1, not so much though, so don’t think I’m crazy if you start with that one). Opposite Day 2 was the best of what I played (I played 1,2,4 and 5), although 5 had some great stuff too. 

The Pilgrim - A pretty cool action platformer that changes it style on pretty much every level. First it’s a 2D platformer, then 3D, then an action game. A have a major issue with the use of lighting in it though as many areas of the game are just way too dark. I think this may have been a design decision in some cases, but it turned me off of the game. I don’t know if lighting darker scenes in Dreams is difficult, because this was an issue in a few games. 

FARR League - A racing game in the same style as Wipeout. It is very early, with only one track which looks quite barren, but it is fun, and has AI drivers, which may not be the case with many racers in Dreams?

Splatty’s Adventure - Wow! This game I’d say is an amazing showcase for what can be done in Dreams. It is a 3D platformer, very much like we would have seen on N64 or PS2 type era, but the most impressive part is that it feels like it could be a real retail game from the start. It has its own studio logo at the start, fantastic looking custom menus, a multi stage overworld with level selection, multiple objectives for the levels with tons of collectibles, and an in game store to unlock character customizations and other unlockables. 

Equally impressive is the amount of moves the character has. It is not just run, jump, and attack, but also a double jump, air jump, wall run, ground pound, a slide..... oh and you can also manipulate time around you. 

The platforming unfortunately is probably at N64/PS2 levels though and doesn’t quite have the smoothness and polish that games have today, which got a bit frustrating. I would probably chalk that up to the limitations in Dreams (and Media Molecule’s so-so platforming). 

Overall, from what I can see, Dreams is rather mind blowing in what can be done in it. 

• Like 3

I wonder how many doors something like Dreams can open up for people actually getting hired to work in the industry given that it takes anything to do with development coding out of the equation that one my realistically still need if they were to ever wish to make a career out of game design. I seem to remember that Little Big Planet user content got a few people some jobs (one or two even at Media Molecule). 

One of the great hurdles with Dreams, as was ultimately a problem for LBP, is how you even get your content seen in the first place due to an over saturation of uploads. How are they curating the best content and how easy is it to discover?

I tried Dreams in VR a bit today and... this game really should’t exist. The fact that it works as well, and as seamlessly as it does is a miracle. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

One of the great hurdles with Dreams, as was ultimately a problem for LBP, is how you even get your content seen in the first place due to an over saturation of uploads. How are they curating the best content and how easy is it to discover?

I’ve only really scratched the surface, but it seems like they are doing some good things to help.

There are tons of filters for searching, creators can label their games with many tags to help, you can follow creators and projects, there is a whole system in there to see lots of information on the creators and who’s work they’ve used, who has used their work, etc. 

There are different playlists (Like Media Molecule made dreams, ones they like etc), and people can create and share their own also. 

Plus I think there is an algorithm to help find ones you may like, like YouTube. 

The biggest thing I think is that Dreams can get badges that can help to indicate ones of quality. Media Molecule has a badge for ones they like, ones that get a lot of likes. They also seem to run game jams on a regular basis and the winners/top dream in different categories get a badge. 

They also seem to be running some type of virtual DreamsCon right now

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I wonder how many doors something like Dreams can open up for people actually getting hired to work in the industry given that it takes anything to do with development coding out of the equation that one my realistically still need if they were to ever wish to make a career out of game design.

It’s hard to say what doors it would open for a job and being hired by a developer, but I’m sure it could help 

What I would say that it could very easily lead to is someone using Dreams to design and test a game concept, and even get feedback from players on it. With that experience I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if someone then took the next step and started a team with a programmer, and artists, licensed Unity and started creating a game that they could then release on Steam. 

Dreams seems to remove those first initial barriers of “I think I have a great idea for a game, but so don’t know how to program and I’m not an artist” somewhat out of the equation. 

I’m very curious - How is VR in Dreams then? Can you access the tools and everything in VR? Or you load a “dream” and play it in VR? Does it require the wands or a DS4 or use both?

1 minute ago, Magness said:

I’m very curious - How is VR in Dreams then? Can you access the tools and everything in VR? Or you load a “dream” and play it in VR? Does it require the wands or a DS4 or use both?

I have only played other people’s games, but my understanding is that the tools are all available in VR and they have added new tools for VR. You can use the controller or the wands, just like in the real game, but they have slightly modified the imps to have a pointer like in many VR games. 

The game knows if the dream you are playing uses a puppet and will adjust the controls accordingly. There are fairly robust comfort settings also.

One of the coolest things mentioned in an intro video is if the Dream you are playing drops below a certain frame rate, it will switch to cinematic mode to prevent any potential discomfort. 

You can even play Dreams that are not designed for VR. I played Splatty for a few minutes and it let me play in VR (with a warning) and it still worked pretty good. 

I think some though will not run in VR mode at all and will just play in cinematic mode. 

There can be some weirdness though. I played a racing game and I could look around in the menus and see things I wasn’t supposed to see, and if I looked behind me in the cockpit view, I could see that the rest of the car behind me didn’t exist (which kind of added to the experience). 

• Like 2

Played a bit more last night. 

I did the first batch of tutorials on creating Dreams last night. So far it is only about creating, moving and cloning objects, so I’m not at the point where I could really creat a game, but it seems cool. As someone who can be a little bit OCD about things being lined up and positioned “just so”, it seemed like I could get frustrated, but I’m guessing there may be tools to help with this that I don’t know of yet. 

The tutorials themselves are fine, but it’s a bit of a slog, and there is so much to learn that it will take some time. 

On to the games!

Disneyland - This is a big project to recreate Disneyland in Dreams. I was a little disappointed that the park is broken up into fairly small chunks with a big wall of cloud/smoke that loads the next part when you run into it. It is an early work in progress so I’m sure it will all be improved. This is really one of those things that Dreams is perfect for. 

There is a recreation of a few rides and I rode on Pirates. It is only half done (just before the Pirate ship scene) but what is there is really nice, and it has all the music and sound effects.

I think it just added VR support, but I haven’t tried that yet. 

Comic Sans - This is one of the Media Molecule games. It is short (only a few minutes), and more of a showcase of what could be done in Dreams, but it is mind blowing that this is possible. It starts as a crudely drawn game about a box in comic book panel and transforms into a 3D rendered world. Worth watching a video of this one. 

Galaxy Cadet 2020 - This one keeps popping up as a top recommendation within Dreams. I decided to play it as an example of an old arcade game like asteroids as I thought that this type of a game that could be good to get my feet wet. 

I was very pleasantly surprised that there was more to this game than just an old school arcade shooter. 

Fallout 4: Dreams Edition - I didn’t play it long, and have never played Fallout before, but this was super impressive. The models look incredible, there is a working pipboy, when you speak with NPC it looks just like it does in Fallout with voice acting (which I assume they just ripped from the actual Fallout) and dialog trees. 

I don’t think there is a lot of content, but it is crazy impressive. 

I played a few others too, but not really anything worth mentioning. I continue to be amazed by what can be done in this game. 

• Like 1