LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Destiny The Taken King - Retail Expansion, new subclasses

...and after taking a raft of shit and Luke Smith giving the worst PR response ever on why anyone should need to rebuy the whole game to get access to content in the CE, Bungie has apologized and is backtracking on the content stance they held:

Bungie apologizes for Taken King controversy, CE items to be sold separate #1

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13090

This week at Bungie, we’re working hard to fix what’s wrong with the Collector’s Editions for The Taken King. You’ve voiced your objections. We agree wholeheartedly. Now, our attention is focused on creating solutions. These things take time, so pardon our silence these past few days. In moments like these, actions speak louder than words.

In developing The Taken King, one of our goals has been to celebrate you and your triumphs. E3 was a place to reveal the new adventures we hope to send you on, but our conversations there didn’t do justice to our plans to honor your legacy.

Don’t take it from me. Here are some words from Luke Smith:

I am Luke Smith, Creative Director on Destiny: The Taken King.

Many, many years ago, I wrote to you each week in this spot. We talked about Battle Rifles, we talked about stuff we weren't going to talk about, and at some point I did a horrible hand-drawing of an upcoming map and teased you with it in the Weekly Update.

Anyone who knows me knows I can be sarcastic, anyone who remembers podcasts I've done knows that I can be pretty blunt, and anyone who’s watched me in a ViDoc knows I'm pretty unpolished.

However, most of you don't know me.

Reading my interview with Eurogamer and imagining it came from some random developer of a game I love - that random developer looks like an Asshat.

But that Asshat was me - and those words rightfully anger you.

I'm sorry.

My words made it sound as if Bungie doesn't care about their most loyal fans.

We do care. We are listening. And we will make it right.

Here's what we're doing about the Collector's Edition of Destiny: The Taken King...

We’re actively working to make the digital content from the Collector’s Edition available in a $20 upgrade bundle (suggested retail price), available on 9/15/2015. If you purchase a stand-alone version of Destiny: The Taken King, or already have, you'll be able to pick up the digital items as soon as they are available.

If you have decided to pick up the Legendary Edition of Destiny: The Taken King at retail, you can also elect to pick this up if you want to upgrade into a Collector’s Edition.

If you purchased the existing Digital Collector’s Edition, and you already owned Destiny and both expansion packs, we’ll have some additional information for you soon.

If you want to get caught up on all of the options available for Destiny: The Taken King, you can view the details here. (Note: You won’t see the Collector’s Edition Upgrade we described above, yet. We’re working on it.)

For those looking for a little more context about Emotes and Class Items in The Taken King, we will be introducing new Class Items with stat attributes. These will provide players with another gear slot that can contribute to both your Guardian’s look and build preferences. The Class Items included in the Collector’s Edition are a welcome addition for players looking to level up newborn Guardians or fresh subclasses, but they are not the only new Class Items available in Destiny: The Taken King. This is part of our focus on making the game more rewarding and adding more variety options for players. The same goes for Emotes.

So, that’s what we’re doing about the Collector’s Edition. Here are some other questions, and answers, about some other topics many of you care about.

“Hey, I have Destiny and all its expansions. Do I really have to buy stuff I already own to play The Taken King?”

The Digital Download is for existing players who already own Destiny and both expansion packs, and are ready to jump straight into The Taken King this September.

“Hey, I’ve been here since day one. What do I get?”

If you already have a Light Level 30 Guardian, or if you’ve picked up and played both The Dark Below and House of Wolves, then you’re a VIP in The Tower’s book. They’ll reward you accordingly with a victory lap that will include a permanently exclusive set of items.

When you stride through the Tower, people are going to ask you where you got those wonderful toys. You’ll nod and let them know you earned them. It’s a Year One thing, and they just wouldn’t understand. And they won’t ever be able to get their hands on their own set.

And we’ll have more fun stuff for you to announce in the very short term future, just for you.

Thanks for caring enough to sound off. We heard the feedback, loud and clear. We’ll talk more soon.

To be continued…

This is part 1 of 2 of the Bungie Weekly Update. Tune in tomorrow for the usual fanfare, including a report from our friends on the Destiny Player Support team, the Movie of the Week, and more.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13090

...and who says gamers don't have a voice?

No doubt. But then they take a dump all over it anyway. Here's our $20 apology. For a bundle. Of emotes. Who are they kidding with this crap.

I like Destiny. I even bought it again recently along with the expansions. But I have yet to see any explanation why you can get Destiny, both expansions and the Taken King for $60, yet the people who have supported this game from the beginning have to pay $40 for just the new content. It still stinks.

Rest in peace Dinklebot...

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/08/04/destiny-recasts-its-most-important-character-with-nolan-north-9709.aspx?utm_content=buffercaee7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

We recently visited Bungie for an in-depth look at Destiny: The Taken King, coming away with all sorts of details about the upcoming release. One of the most surprising changes is coming to what is arguably Destiny’s most central-voiced character: the Ghost. The tiny floating robotic being is the de facto narrator throughout the base game, and he assumes an even more important role in The Taken King. Playing that role moving forward is Nolan North, replacing Peter Dinklage in the name of a unified character voice throughout the entire game.

Players who are used to North’s work on games like Uncharted and Assassin’s Creed are likely to be surprised the first time they hear his latest role. In taking over the role of the Ghost, North echoes some of the cadences and quirks established by the character’s original voice actor, but his line delivery is hard to immediately connect to his familiar heroic tone. “I was really excited to do this role,” Nolan North tells us. “You want to give him as much personality as the world will allow, without making it unbelievable. There’s a fine line to walk there, and I think we found it.”

Level cap raised to 40 also:

Not only does Nolan North play Ghost in the new content in The Taken King, but Bungie also had North re-record all of the original dialogue to create a consistent storytelling experience from beginning to end. “We wanted Nolan North’s version of the Ghost to wake you up at the start of the journey at level one and follow you all the way to level forty,” says creative director Luke Smith. With this change, the Ghost’s script will remain the same, but Peter Dinklage’s voicing of those lines will not be present in the game.

So all of the Ghost's voice work has been replaced. Even in the original game.

XP system is changing substantially as well.

Players earn XP by killing monsters, completing missions, and turning in bounties, as has always been the case, but that experience now feeds directly into your level progression all the way from 1 to the new level cap of 40. 

Meanwhile, weapons and armor continue to provide increased power to your character, with new gear unlocking for use as you level up. “The conflation of gear and character level led to this place where your identity was determined by things outside of your control,” says creative director Luke Smith. “We don’t want to do that.”

We were also told that Destiny’s loot system will now pay closer attention to the loot you have already received when determining an appropriate drop, so that players will more consistently receive armor and weapons that provide meaningful power growth, items that vary their gear slot from one drop to the next, and fewer drops of items that a player has already attained.

i.e. no more Gear adding up to determine level. It just gone full MMO now.;)

Well, that's Destiny's final drop off my consideration list for when I get my PS4, then. 

Most see it as a positive change to be frank. The barrier of gear to level up was very grindy.

I got all 3 classes up to the max now, waiting for the expansion before doing anymore.  I like the XP changes... even though I have all the light I need, it was a less than ideal way to level up.

Most see it as a positive change to be frank. The barrier of gear to level up was very grindy.

Sorry, I meant in terms of it patching the original game to remove Golden Globe-winning Dinklage's dialogue to replace it with That Guy Who Does Every Bloody AAA Voice In The World. I'm thoroughly bored of North, even if most didn't like the original performance.

But then, it seems symptomatic of a development that keeps wasting money in the most ludicrous ways, because it knows there's a fanbase it can rinse. I fancied picking it up cheap for a 10-15 hour rinse of the main story, and clearly that makes me not the sort of customer they want.

Sorry, I meant in terms of it patching the original game to remove Golden Globe-winning Dinklage's dialogue to replace it with That Guy Who Does Every Bloody AAA Voice In The World. I'm thoroughly bored of North, even if most didn't like the original performance.

I mean, I get it but that seems a bit misplaced as Golden Globe winning Peter Dinklage was utterly miscast and underutilized in the original game. Adding a robotic tone to his voice helped the deadpan (or just dead) delivery of his lines but even he sounded disinterested in the performance.

Nothing of consequence was lost in the performance to be frank. Though I don't disagree in the overuse of Nolan North and Troy Baker these days. Though to Troy's credit, he's not asked to play the same "everyman" that North is in every game and that's the issue. North has plenty of range and ability (see his performance as David in the Last of Us). The problem is everyone wants him to play Drake. No matter what he's in.

I fancied picking it up cheap for a 10-15 hour rinse of the main story, and clearly that makes me not the sort of customer they want.

Seeing as the "story" is utterly hopeless and doesn't really even exist.... no you're not.

PSA: Xur is selling the Gjallarhorn today if you don't have one yet. Get it and run some strikes for fun before they nerf the wolfpack rounds :D

I mean, I get it but that seems a bit misplaced as Golden Globe winning Peter Dinklage was utterly miscast and underutilized in the original game. Adding a robotic tone to his voice helped the deadpan (or just dead) delivery of his lines but even he sounded disinterested in the performance.

Indeed. It was a colossal waste of a known actor for little more than the sake of name recognition. Goodness knows how much Bungie paid, only to give him so little to work with. It was a startling example of the developer just throwing money around senselessly because they could. 

I'm glad people are still finding enough to enjoy with the game. I got what I expected out of it before trading it in. Ugh to it almost being a year since it game out though. Where did that time go?