LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Destiny The Taken King - Retail Expansion, new subclasses

I prefer North.

North's emphasis on certain words is much better, to me.  Prefer him as well.

But even he can't make terrible dialog sound good...  

I prefer Mr. North as well.  Dinky boy seemed like he was this kind of robot.....

hedonism-bot-futurama-2942551-800-600.jp

Where as Mr. North feels more like this....

6144609e93dff054a88e96aff21001ce.jpg

So fist pump for Mr. North.  You make a great robotic companion.  :)   I also love all the changes they have done to Destiny.  One person on some site, somewhere, mentioned that the "Beta" version of Destiny is finally done and that the "Real" game begins.  I think they are right.   :)

• Like 1

Dinklage is pretty awful; doesn't sound like he's doing anything other than reading lines he doesn't understand - it's flat and makes little sense.

North is much better on that front, and feels like he's had more chance to read the script in advance. But my son's currently playing through one of the Ratchet & Clank games and I can barely tell the difference. It would drive me up the wall over a whole game.

I'm right in thinking there's little point in the super-cheap base Destiny that's on Amazon right now, yeah? Because I need the Taken King version to play well with everyone else? It's all very confusing.

Awesome... that's my only way to describe it so far.  The 1st mission you do is better than most of anything you've done/seen before.  Finally, story, cut-scenes, exposition, and some clarity.  The game looks better to me for sure, they added new sound effects to areas as well.  Of course, like Warcraft, all my legendary gear and exotics, are already weak compared to the lowest greens they give you, but that's par for the course with games like this.  

New weapons have some great designs and scopes, and I've only seen the early stuff.  I have some Level 40 gear already, but can't use it, only 36 at the moment.  So far, it's early but I am very happy with it.  Then again, I never left the game, I've been playing consistently for a year, so take that for what it's worth.

T.

I'm right in thinking there's little point in the super-cheap base Destiny that's on Amazon right now, yeah? Because I need the Taken King version to play well with everyone else? It's all very confusing.

Buying a version of Taken King also lets you upgrade one of your characters to level 25 so you can play the Taken King campaign immediately. I'd still go through the main game's quest at least with another character.

Yes, very little point. To get caught up you'd then have to either buy both expansions and then the Taken King upgrade or buy the full Taken King Set which includes the original game, both expansions and the Taken King. The only reason to by just the original right now would be to try the game out cheaply, although there looks like there is a demo to try it out free.

There is? Perfect. An hour or so of seeing whether I get on with the controls before I spend lots of money is what I'm mainly after, anyway.

I would expect as much, but I haven't played an fps on pad well since I stopped using my 360. Just want to see if I can even go back.

Played some Taken King last night. Some initial thoughts:

- The game looks amazing!

- I didn't think Nolan North's Ghost voice was much better in the clips I heard before but in the context of the game, his voice blends in the Destiny universe so much better.

- It's kind of both awesome and disheartening when the gear I got just from doing the initial quests in the Tower talking to people was better than the gear I had.

- Being able to turn in bounties without having to go back to the Tower is very convenient and a great addition.

- The new bow for the Nightstalker sub-class looks great. Not sure how great it is performance-wise compared to other supers since I just got it though.

- Including a token to bump a character to level 25 was a nice touch.

RE: Destiny's control setup, when I first got my Xbox One with the Master Chief Collection a few months ago, I tried out Halo with the default controls. I kept throwing grenades by accident (and other button mishaps!) until I switched the default controls to a more current FPS like Call of Duty/Destiny. I think Destiny has the best combination of FPS controls/weapons/gunplay of any console game.

I would love to hop on, but I never did the stuff from the expansions. Everyone was far ahead.

Playing field seems pretty level now.  All of my hard-earned weapons and armor were rendered useless in a matter of hours.  Do the jump to level 25, and you'd be where everybody else is in a week or so. 

I was level 22 before 2.0 hit. I have worked my way up to level 36 just playing thru the original expansions the past week. Going to start Taken King tonight.

It is strange getting green items more powerful then the rare and legendary items I had before.

The new leveling system is alot better but it feels like you level too fast now.

I started the Taken King at level 29 and by the time I finished the main storyline, I had just hit 40 (about light level 200). The changes Bungie made to how the leveling system and light levels work has been great so far. The old light level system seemed either random or grindy, depending on whether you were trying to get better gear from strikes/raids or buying rep gear. Having a lot of fun playing again. The pulse rifle (Apple of Discord) I got for finishing the main storyline is cool. The sound it makes is kind of funny. It makes me feel like I'm killing these big ass mobs with a paintball gun.

The pulse rifle (Apple of Discord) I got for finishing the main storyline is cool. The sound it makes is kind of funny. It makes me feel like I'm killing these big ass mobs with a paintball gun.

I do like that weapon as well! Never was big on pulse rifles, but I think the weapon tuning changes have made a positive difference.