LCVG
Romier S

Playstation VR (the artist formally known as Morpheus)

Good Lord. On the one hand, I sympathize with your plight. Then I read about your huge screen, 7.1 audio system, and stadium seating and think, "What the hell is he complaining about?"

It's like saying, "Oh man, my penis is just so big I can't find any pants that fit me comfortably."

Oh God, don't even get me started on my penis size.

• Like 1

Is it childish that the Shu background walk by cameo at 4:41 made me burst out laughing?

Not at all. I loved how he walked by and then immediately turned around and mugged for the camera a bit.

How does it feel for first person walk around games when you've no reason, or option, to physically move your body? I honestly have no clue how VR feels and what it fools the brain into thinking. I'm almost drawn into wanting the headset at launch purely out of fascination to get a sense of what the experience does to the mind and the sense of travelling without moving.

Articles like this, about a GDC play experience on an Everest demo with the HTC headset, excite me and terrify me in equal measure:

Before I took the first step, I heard the wind whipping around my legs and swore I felt just a bit colder. Suddenly, for only a moment, I felt my legs weaken. With a deep breath of determination, I inched forward across the ridge, heel to toe, and struggled to stay rooted in reality. At one point I even held my arms out for balance, despite actually walking on the perfectly stable carpeted 3rd floor of the Moscone Center.

“This icy ridge isn’t here. This isn’t Class 5 exposure. It’s just carpet! This sheer cliff 4 inches from my shoes is imaginary. I’m not alone at 25,000 feet. 12 feet away a bunch of GDC attendees are watching me. Right?”

My brain simply didn’t listen. The combination of realistic audio, insanely photo-realistic graphics courtesy of Unreal Engine 4 and some of Nvidia’s VR Works wizardry, the tactility of the HTC Vive’s touch controllers and its accurate room presence, had convinced it of this alternate reality. A reality where I was legitimately terrified.

Sucking it up, I made it across the ridge. After using both hands to latch onto a pair of ropes leading further up the mountain, I started a vertical ascent by pulling each arm down one a time and propelling myself upward. This wasn’t nearly as frightening, perhaps because I wasn’t moving my legs and the immersion level had been taken down a notch.

But it hit me like a truck when I reached the summit. In-game, my heartbeat grew louder and faster. A voice from somewhere in the distance reminded me to watch my oxygen levels. Then a voice said “now just step forward and look over the edge.”

And then, vertigo. Like a gravity hammer to the head.

I like to tell people I don’t have a fear of heights. Rather, I have a fear of falling. That fear and the slow buildup of anxiety unexpectedly climaxed and I backed away, lifting the Vive off my head as a half-crazy/half-surprised laugh escaped my lips.

Emilsson gave me a moment to regain my composure, then we sat down for a quick chat. I learned I wasn’t the first to quit out early. There had been others.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2016/03/16/the-everest-vr-experience-on-htc-vive-is-so-terrifying-i-couldnt-finish-it/#2f202c0c1d92

The bundle is $499, which is more the real price of the thing. They were smart to ride out the $399 news cycle before releasing info on bundles.

Core bundle isn't available for preorder? Really? I already own all of that shit in the bundle other than the VR headset. No interest in buying a second set of the stuff. I'll wait.

You can play non VR games and watch movies on the headset?

I'll probably order the bundle as I don't have the camera or move, strange they aren't doing pre-orders for the core bundle.

I'm very surprised by the no core preorder plan.

They need the early adopters to make this thing work.  Early adopters are very likely to have purchased these accessories already.

Me personally, I'm cheap. I know I can get the camera and move controllers for less than $100.

EDIT:  I just realized the bundle also comes with an extra game disc. London Heist, which is what I've demoed (and is great), is part of that disc  So there's some value there.  I may just get the bundle.  

What game is the killer app for this?  VR is cool but is this going to be looked at as another accessory gimmick without a genre defining gaming experience?  So far, everything I've seen (and tried) just feels like short lived demo material.  

I don't think we'll have that answer until there is a better idea of what all these 50 VR titles in 2016 that Sony's touting are. Surely we'll see just what defining launch titles there are, if any, come E3.

Core Bundle available to pre-order on the 29th:

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for sharing their feedback on PlayStation VR pre-orders! It’s clear that there’s a lot of interest from many of you to secure the PlayStation VR core system, and I’m happy to share that we’ve decided to make it available for pre-order on Tuesday, March 29, at 7:00 a.m. PT at participating retailers.

So to wrap it all up, here are your pre-order options:

• PlayStation VR Launch Bundle ($499.99 MSRP) – pre-order on March 22 at 7:00 a.m. PT
  • PlayStation VR core ($399.99 MSRP) – pre-order on March 29 at 7:00 a.m. PT
If you’re interested in owning PlayStation VR on day one, mark those calendars as we’re expecting these units to sell out quickly!

I was refreshing the page after 10EST and it never came up. I was in the GAF thread and someone had built a Smile link that somehow worked. That was the only way I got one I think. And by the looks of the thread, that's how everyone there got one too.

She mentioned on PS I love you they pushed the launch from June-ish to October because their initial target for sales was too low and Sony wanted to manufacture more. The additional benefit he mentioned was using the time to polish the games.