LCVG
JTello

PlayStation 4: The Thread - Part 2 - Slim Releases on September 15th, 2016 for $299.99

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

Yep, the PS3 HD trilogy collection is the way to go. The PS4 releases are upscaled PS2 titles. Not worth the money unless you don’t have a PS3 or OG PS2 handy.

Thanks for the warning. I had it on my wish list. 

• Like 1

Interesting video from John and Richard at Digital Foundry arguing that the PS4 Pro is the best console for gamers still using 1080p displays.

I’m one of those chumps who still uses a 1080p plasma at home, so this video was right up my alley. Even though Sony and Microsoft both hyped 4K as the main selling point of both machines, the possibility of improved performance excited me more.

I do enjoy my PS4 Pro, but I still use my Xbox One X more often. The combination of the improved visuals, better performance, and quieter fan make it more pleasant to use overall.

That said, I did notice that GameStop has a trade-in deal for a PS4 Pro at the moment. I can get the quieter CUH-7200 “Red Dead” model for $125 if I trade in my current PS4 Pro. I’m tempted to make the exchange, but I’m not sure it’s worth it at this point. Maybe if I could find something else to trade in, it might be worth it, but $125 is a lot of money to spend for the benefit of a quieter system.

• Like 1

PS4 FW 7.0 adds an HDR adjustment menu:

aEfdEo4_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

The menu includes:

Full Screen luminance calibration
Peak luminance calibration (10%window)
Tone mapping black point.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2019 at 6:05 PM, Romier S said:

PS4 FW 7.0 adds an HDR adjustment menu:

I have a code for this that I think works about 20 times. Anyone PM me if you want to try it. 

The biggest caveat is, you can't party up with anyone not in the beta.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:38 AM, JFo said:

That said, I did notice that GameStop has a trade-in deal for a PS4 Pro at the moment. I can get the quieter CUH-7200 “Red Dead” model for $125 if I trade in my current PS4 Pro. I’m tempted to make the exchange, but I’m not sure it’s worth it at this point. Maybe if I could find something else to trade in, it might be worth it, but $125 is a lot of money to spend for the benefit of a quieter system.

FIVE DAYS LATER...

Spoiler

440796073_PS4PRO4-1.thumb.jpg.6eaaededac759c8b52d2d313d6544e54.jpg

1316181510_PS4PRO4-2.thumb.jpg.dccc296f438434f610deda2f91c14b34.jpg

I call it my "PS4 Four" because it's the fourth one I've owned. Restoring my backup as I type this. God help me.

• Like 2

It looks like my backup restored overnight and everything is up and running now. The biggest hassle was re-installing the 2TB internal drive I've been using since my second PS4 console.  I tried to re-initialize my PS4 so that I could re-install the operating system and wipe the 2TB drive clean, but I kept getting an error message saying that the update file on the external USB device would not work. I banged my head around for a while trying to figure out what was wrong. I downloaded the file directly from Sony's website and was certain it was the current version of the system software. It turns out that there are two files you can download. One is just an update file; the other is a complete system software update. I needed the latter, but had the former. I didn't realize this until I did a search for the error code and found a (thankfully short) video on YouTube explaining what to do.

The trade-in process at GameStop went relatively smooth. The only hiccup came from the fact that I didn't bring an HDMI cable with the rest of the accessories. At first, they were going take $5 off the total trade-in amount to account for the cable, but when I told them I wanted to trade it in for a newer PS4 Pro, one of the clerks suggested he could take the HDMI cable out of the box for the new one and call it even. I thought that was fair, especially since I probably have the cable from my old PS4 Pro stashed away somewhere in my house.

Another benefit of this trade is that they took my launch day controller from 2013. So now I have two of the newer controllers — one from the new PS4 Pro and one from the old — and that makes me very happy. For essentially the cost of two games I was able to upgrade to a new system that will hopefully be the last one I ever purchase.

I may have to install an external drive sometime soon. When I did my backup the other day, I noticed that my 2TB internal drive was almost full. I deleted a few PS Plus titles I've never played but can see it filling up pretty fast again with a handful of purchases in the next year-and-a-half.

I have not had a chance to test any games yet to see if the reports of the improved fan noise are true. I'd like to wait until the kids are in bed for that (otherwise they'll both want to play something). I'll report back on my findings when I do.

• Like 2

All right, I've had a chance to play around with the new PS4 Pro. Rather than sampling a bunch of different games, I focused mainly on Spider-Man, which is the most recent title I played and one that made my old PS4 sound like a small vacuum cleaner.

With the old PS4 Pro, the system never got too loud during normal gameplay segments, where Spidey swings through the city and fights crime. It was only during cut scenes and locations like Doctor Octavius' lab — and fuck even the loading screen — where things got bad. The fans would kick in and be loud enough to distract from the scene. Once you started swinging through the city again, the fan noise would die back down and stay at acceptable levels.

When testing on the new PS4 Pro, I played through the opening mission, which bounces back and forth between gameplay and cut scenes to get a sense of how loud the system could get under load. I'm happy to report that the fan noise on the CUH-7200 series is indeed much improved over the only 7000 series PS4 Pro. Whereas before I could easily hear the fan noise during any kind of cinematic, now I really had to listen for it to hear it at all, and most of the time, the noise from the game itself masked the fan noise completely. The only time I heard the fan whirling was in Octavius' lab, where there's not much action, and things are pretty quiet.

Overall, I'd say that this is a big improvement. I still don't think the PS4 Pro is quite as quiet as the Xbox One X, but it's close enough now where I don't think I'll dread playing games on it because on the noise issues.