LCVG
JTello

PlayStation 4: The Thread - Part 2 - Slim Releases on September 15th, 2016 for $299.99

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Playstation Vue shutting down in January:

I can't remember where I heard this, but there was a rumor they were looking for a buyer. I guess no no one bit? 😐

Sony Has Shipped 102 Million PS4s

Brian Ashcroft, writing for Kotaku:

The PlayStation 5 might be on the horizon, but the PS4 continues its impressive run. As of September 30, Sony has shipped 102.8 million PlayStation 4 consoles, surpassing even the Nintendo Wii.

It looks like dethroning the PS2 as the all-time console king ain't happening though:

It's hard to believe that people were questioning whether or not consumers still wanted dedicated gaming consoles before the start of the current generation. I think this shows the answer was a resounding "YES."

• Like 1

Top 5 all time:

The longevity of the PS2 was insane. It was still kicking around and selling well 10-12 years after launch. That’s nearly impossible to duplicate today.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Romier S said:

Top 5 all time:

The longevity of the PS2 was insane. It was still kicking around and selling well 10-12 years after launch. That’s nearly impossible to duplicate today.

That original design of the PS4 was the best 🤩

• Like 1

So John Drake left recently, Shawn Layden is out, and now Gio Corsi:

Adam Boyes left awhile back, but I think he and Gio worked with smaller developers and indies. I could be totally wrong on that. Not sure if Boyes was ever replaced and what this means for smaller titles and the platform. Might just be the industry trend. 

3 hours ago, Starhawk said:

So John Drake left recently, Shawn Layden is out, and now Gio Corsi:

I had no idea John had left Sony for that sinking ship known as Disney.

Guerilla Games studio head Herman Hulst is the new head of Sony Worldwide Studios.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-07-guerrilla-games-hermen-hulst-is-playstations-head-of-worldwide-studios

Shu Yoshida will be leading a new initiative within Sony to look after and nurture external smaller independent studios.

Press on Shu's new role. Just in case you were worried what some of the departures meant for indie game development and support at Sony:

Today, SIE also announced a new company initiative led by PlayStation veteran Shuhei Yoshida and focused on celebrating external developers that are creating new and unexpected experiences for the gaming community. Reporting directly to Jim Ryan, Yoshida will leave his role at WWS to concentrate on our diverse community of independent developers, ensuring they have the tools, technology, and services to reach PlayStation’s large community of gamers successfully.

“I am thrilled to announce Shu Yoshida as head of this new initiative. Everybody knows just how passionate Shu is about independent games – they are lifeblood of the industry, making our content portfolio so special for our gamers. These wildly creative experiences deserve focus and a champion like Shu at PlayStation who will ensure the entire SIE organization works together to better engage with independent developers through a culture of supporting and celebrating their contributions to PlayStation platforms,” added Ryan.

38 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Press on Shu's new role. Just in case you were worried what some of the departures meant for indie game development and support at Sony:

What indie devs/third parties care more about is who their rep is, how effective that rep is, and what the general third party support is like. That's the likes of Gio I'm talking about. Those guys leaving are an issue.

4 hours ago, dogbert said:

What indie devs/third parties care more about is who their rep is, how effective that rep is, and what the general third party support is like. That's the likes of Gio I'm talking about. Those guys leaving are an issue.

Sure and it’s obvious Sony is in the middle of a restructure for the next generation and with new leadership taking the helm. I’m not downplaying the departures of guys like Gio in the short term but if your saying having a guy like Yoshida heading up external studio relations and building a team/initiative around that  is somehow problematic, I’m a little lost about the point your making? Yoshida’s history at Sony was outreach to third parties handling licensing and bringing on board the likes of a Namco and others in the early days of PlayStation. The guy is extremely passionate about indie development. I literally can’t think of a single person at Sony better suited for the role and to lead such an initiative within the company.

56 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Well that's.... certainly a thing.

Is it, though? Seems like a mistimed April Fool to me.

• Like 1

Back buttons/paddles are really useful for anything twin stick heavy like FPS shooters since you can reload, crouch, jump, etc without moving your thumb off the right stick, but timing-wise seems like a test or maybe setting up the DS4 for PS5 forwards compatibility?

1 hour ago, iainl said:

Is it, though? Seems like a mistimed April Fool to me.

Programmable back buttons are a pretty common add to the Elite/Scuf controllers out there and as Cameron said, are quite popular for first person shooters and fighting games. Considering it’s a pretty affordable solution, it’s seems like a nice add-on though pretty late in the game. Being able to get L3 and R3 onto actual buttons is a win.:)

The OLED screen is kind of weird though. 

• Like 1

Wrap-up appears to be working now:

Curious to see if Microsoft does something similar. The X got a good chunk of my gaming time this year so I figured this would be even less hours wise than it was. Early 2020 will see a whole lot miles put on the PS4 with some of the releases coming.:)