LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Doctor Who Series 9 (begins September)

Surprised no one posted Moffat is stepping down after next season which won't even air until spring 2017. Head of Broadchurch is taking over. Maybe I'll watch again ;)

Forgot :) It definitely needs a shake-up. I'm not sure this guy is the one; his episodes of Who are awful.

Had not even heard the news. I feel like Moffatt took on too much, with both Doctor Who AND Sherlock suffering as a consequence. It's a pity, but I hope he goes out on a consistent high note. Honestly the series has not fully captured my complete admiration since s5. I thought the torch might have been passed to Gatiss, who I know some dislike as a Who writer, but I think he would have made an interesting show runner. Chibnall does not excite me in the slightest sadly. 

Yeah it's been a a while (2nd season of smith) that It was must watch ASAP. I watched the first few episodes with Capaldi, but just was not for me.

I haven't watched the latest season yet, that's how much I lost interest because of the previous two seasons... I love Capaldi as the Doctor; I just don't like the stories around him. Dan's on the money with Moffat being stretched thin.

Maybe a year off will do it good.

Heaven Sent, from S9, is a tour de force from Capaldi and a great Moffat episode. Worth catching up with this year's series just for that.

I'm not sure the break will affect the next series for better or worse. Moffat has already been working on s10, and they will still shoot it this year, so it's going to crossover with whatever else he has on his plate this year regardless, it's just that the Beeb will delay airing it until next year.

2017 makes sense. Who got absolutely hammered in the live ratings last year, even if it mostly made it back in catch-up, because it had to go out after Strictly, and therefore after the younger viewers' bedtimes. But if you start moving forward to the old later summer slot then you've got the European football. Before that you hit the Olympics, and before that is when they're shooting the thing. So a delay to early next year is the only option.

I have never seen anything by Chibnall I liked, and I doubt that will start any time soon. I didn't even try Broadchurch, despite the temptation of the score.

So is anyone still actively watching the new Who? It's not been 'must watch' tv in our house for years. I watched the Spyfall episode from New Year's Day & it felt utterly by the numbers. Chibnall's stuff is still awful 😕 

I’m still watching. It’s much better than I feared from Chibnall. It’s just evened out a lot - every episode has been good, rather than rapidly swerving from dire to outstanding like it used to. 

• Like 1

I just haven’t the time with all the 101 things everyone is telling me to watch. I can’t even keep up with when things are even airing. It’d be a shame if Whittaker is being let down by lacklustre material as Capaldi was for so much of his run.

I hope kids are still engaged by it though.

Sunday's was good fun. Not perfect, but a shedload better than most second parts the show has managed since 2005.

13 hours ago, iainl said:

Sunday's was good fun. Not perfect, but a shedload better than most second parts the show has managed since 2005.

It was a totally different episode. Enjoyed it more than I expected, not sure where at all they're going to end up with the changes to the back story, and, spoiler,

I kinda wish she hadn't zapped the spy & Ada...

Tonight's episode was the best I've seen in a long, long time. It felt like the heyday of the reboot - tight, narrow focus of a setting, a bit of a historical setting thrown in, a clear defined villain, and all round good plotting + acting.

• Like 1