LCVG

Any GBA Title Recommendations?

Obnoxious

I got a GB SP recently, and I haven't gotten many games for it. I'm an intimate RPG lover, so Golden Sun has suited me perfectly. I've played some of the Mario lands, but I'm not sure what games are worth the extravagant prices that people are charging these days. I mean, I'd rather not spend 50 dollars on a game that may not be worth it, only to find that I want to return it the next day. I read reviews regularily, but usually thats just one person's opinion, so any suggestions? I'm up for anything, thanks in advance!

P.S. Out of curiosity, anyone know how long Golden Sun 1 is for GBA? I haven't beaten the game yet, but I was just wondering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love RPGs but didn't like Golden Sun. Too tedious and "to be continued"...what a cop out. Breath of Fire 2 is great if you can get it for cheap, loved this on the Super Nintendo and it works wonderful on the GBA screen. Lunar is also a cool portable adaption but if you played the PSX or Sega CD ones you will miss the beautiful cut scenes and voice acting (atleast I do...).

For "GBA only" original titles, hands down favorite is Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. It has that "gotta catch em all" feel with the soul capturing and is just a blast to play through. Was such a letdown when I had exhausted this one. *sigh* I hope they crank out another one soon... also enjoyed CIMA: The Enemy to a lesser extent. Some of the dungeon tiles make me feel queasy just looking at them, real eyesore but a unique game. Make the peasants do your bidding!! Yes! Err ahh....ahem.

I'm just waiting for Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for now. :D

Crap, I could have picked up that Phantasy Star collection for $5 at Circuit City a few weeks ago and I decided to pass. I had only $10 on me, and I grabbed an extra copy of Jet Set Radio Future for $5 and I was hungry and decided to spend the other $5 on McDonalds instead. I had consoled myself with the thought that no one here had really talked much about the Phantasy Star collection...and then along came Darius... :P

The only downside is you have to get the hint books online since it doesn't come with them this time around. I don't know how many of you remember phantasy star 2 but it came with about a 100 page hint book. That game was long and I haven't even tried to start it yet.

Oh yeah! Phantasy Star Collection is Da BOMB! I got this um, year before last and it rocked my world for awhile. Phantasy Star I has aged so-so but PS2 is still killer, and well PS3 love it or hate it, its still a classic. It was worth $30 just for Phantasy Star 2 though. The only thing its missing is of course.. my favorite of the series, Phantasy Star 4, but maybe sometime down the line they will release it as a single cartridge. I'd buy it, even though I have it for the Sega Genesis.

The only thing its missing is of course.. my favorite of the series, Phantasy Star 4

This is why the collection failed to spur my interest like it originally did (back during the time when I was going to get a GBA :P). Phantasy Star 4 is a brilliant game, it has an excellent combat system, is difficult but not impossible, and tells a fantastic story.

I never finished it, but went far enough into it to know that it was an excellent game, on par with the Final Fantasy titles of the era.

It's like the Sonic Mega Collection not having Sonic CD on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when Phantasy Star 4 hit and it was like $90 or some outrageous price like that. I was soooo depressed and let down after all the hype. A year or two later a friend of mine got a copy of it for $1.99 at a video store that was going out of business. Playing it a little spurred my interest so much that I broke down and paid $30 for the "cartridge only". Money well spent! Its a superb game and if Sega would bloody release the thing for the GBA I would gladly part with $20 again just to own this classic! I was hoping the PSO Collection would include it but really - you should atleast play PS2, its hard by today's standards but still fun. Everyone should own a GBA. I take my SP with me everywhere. So if I'm seen in public its somewhere on me. Not quite as essential as my cell phone but close. hehehe

Harvest Moon : Friends of Mineral Town is a great long game. I am currently playing it.

Sword of Mana is also a nice long game. I am having a lot of trouble with it, but I am not a regular RPG'er.

I am not allowed to play Super Mario 3 anymore. ( Don't ask, it's an anger issue. Hell, not even an issue, it's an entire volume ! )

And you can laugh if you want to, but the Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire is pretty good too. They have really upgraded the game and included a lot more things to accomplish in it. You have to have a degree in genetics to get some of the things that are possible.

Cal ( Nightwing ) really enjoyed the Metroid game too.