LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Dimness

Whiskey And Other Fine Spirits

Since there's a beer thread, I figure there are some of us on this forum who enjoy whiskey as well.  I'm personally a bourbon and scotch guy.  Of course I have to enjoy bourbon.  I'm from Kentucky after all.  Feel free to chime in as I try various different spirits from time to time.  I'm on a scotch kick right now so expect scotch reviews shortly.

I'm a cheap ass, relatively, when it comes to whiskey. I've been drinking Jim Beam Black label for quite a long time. It's not terribly expensive and much better than the really cheap shit.

I have struggled to appreciate Scotch, but do love a good bourbon.  My favorites are Woodford Reserve and Four Roses  I'd be interested in hearing some Scotch recommendations.

Laphroaig

My first experience with this scotch was during the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight.  I've had Glenlivet 12 Year and Johnnie Walker before, and I thought they were okay.  But this was an eye opener.  This is what started my scotch kick.  The smokiness, which I later learned was referred to as the "peatiness", was such an amazing experience on the palette.  It tastes like you've just had the best barbecue on the planet.  And I think the sweetness comes from the fact it's aged in bourbon barrels.  Since this first eye opening experience, I've decided to try all the varieties of this brand of scotch.  It is a single-malt Islay Scotch.

10 Year

This is the standard flagship I think.  A very good place to start.  People who are fans of bourbon will like this.  I personally smell hints of olives and smokiness.  Not cheap, not expensive (fifty plus bucks with tax).

18 Year

Hint number one when you're looking for rare whiskey: go to your corner store.  You'll be surprised to find some rare stuff.  Until recently at my local Liquor Barn, this was hard to find.  Not only that, but I found the green container version.  Any how, this one does not have as much of a bite as the ten year.  I find it more mellow.  It's slightly better than the ten year, but twice as expensive.

Quarter Cask

The flavors are more concentrated, and it had a additional buttery smoothness to it.  It's in price between the ten and the eighteen year (sixty four I think?).  This is a step above the ten year, but not quite as good as the eighteen.

Cask Strength, 10 Year

I did not know this until I researched whiskey some more, but evidently a vast majority of whiskies are watered down unless specified otherwise.  This is one of those cases where it comes straight out of the cask at original strength.  This is the best version of Laphroaig in my opinion.  But it was also the hardest one to find.  I had to go all the way to Columbus, OH where I renewed my Thai passport (for some odd reason).  All the flavors are more pronounced.  And I've come to find out that this was the version I drank during the boxing match.

Johnnie Walker Red

This is the reason why people hate scotch.  For starters, it really does taste like shit.  Secondly, it's a blended whiskey (not single-malt).  Boo to this crap.

Glenlivet 12 Year

I don't remember much of this, but I'll have to try it again.  I've been told it's not a bad beginner Scotch, but I would recommend Laphroaig instead.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of Jura. Very well balanced and drinkable. It's not always real easy to find, but not impossible, either. I've had 4 different ages, and have yet to be disappointed.

Johnnie Walker Red

This is the reason why people hate scotch. For starters, it really does taste like shit. Secondly, it's a blended whiskey (not single-malt). Boo to this

yet it still sells a ton, along with the rest of the JW family. I don't like scotch at all, blended or otherwise.

Maker's Mark

This is the bourbon snobs love to hate.  I'm one of those people that don't hate the small steps of progress.  Is it a good bourbon?  Yes, but there are plenty that are better.  This is a good bourbon to either start out with or enjoy for simple reasons.

Cask Strength

To be completely honest, this is the way I think Maker's Mark should taste.  Just stout with the typical bourbon flavors (e.g. vanilla notes and wood).  It is not spicy at all.

Bulleit Bourbon

I love this bourbon.  This is a great beginner's bourbon.  Typical bourbon flavors, and it's cheap.

My favorite Johnny Walker is the Blue Label. I first tried it after buying a bottle blind. My first thought was, 'I just spent how much on...on...I don't know what this is!' It's strange, completely unlike any kind of booze I had tried. I grew to really like it, though it's not something I could drink regularly. It's one of those special 'in the mood for it' things.

Maker's Mark is a perfectly fine everyday choice, but I'm not a bourbon snob.

Not big fan of makers mark. I'd like it better if it were cheaper.

Bullet bourbon is all right, but I definitely prefer Bulleit Rye, especially in an old fashioned.

Ardbeg

10 Year

Much peatier than Laphroaig, but not as briny or sweet.  I prefer Laphroaig (and close to twenty dollars cheaper to boot), but this is definitely a solid choice.

Gentlemen: If you see it / have access, pick up some Noah's Mill bourbon. It's wonderful. Just a good, balanced whiskey that you'll find easy but interesting.

I've seen it before.  I'm currently on an alcohol sabbatical, going 120 days without drinking.  I'll try it when I'm done.  I'm on day..... 21

walks away with the shakes.....

Gentlemen: If you see it / have access, pick up some Noah's Mill bourbon. It's wonderful. Just a good, balanced whiskey that you'll find easy but interesting.

Thank you for this recommendation. I probably would have skipped over this due to an unassuming bottle and slightly higher price, but decided to take a chance and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Thank you for this recommendation. I probably would have skipped over this due to an unassuming bottle and slightly higher price, but decided to take a chance and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Glad you enjoyed. It's become my unicorn here in the city since word is out how good it is.

Crown Royal Rye was named whiskey of the year by one of several outlets. A bit of a curveball. I had never tried it, but gave it a spin at my local.

Not bad, but really nothing notable about it, which I suppose is why it won given its balance. Worth a try if you're curious.

Here's the release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/crown-royal-northern-harvest-rye-is-the-2016-world-whisky-of-the-year-300182109.html

I've taken a liking to Glenmorangie Lasanta lately.  Wonderful stuff.  It's starting to give my usual, The Macallan, a run for its money.

Carlos.

I've taken a liking to Glenmorangie Lasanta lately.  Wonderful stuff.  It's starting to give my usual, The Macallan, a run for its money.

Carlos.

Was given a bottle of this over the holidays. I've been enjoying it.

Yes, and I should have known better.  Islays aren't for me. At least I know that for certain now.  I just can't abide a Scotch that tastes like a band-aid smells, 

Carlos.