LCVG
Romier S

Star Wars The Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

Are we going to turn this into the Episode VIII spoiler thread? If so I'm outta here. Otherwise, why don't we make a new thread for that, please?

Conjecture is spoilers now? 

• Like 1

That's not a spoiler. Just a guess from seeing the movie.

Conjecture is spoilers now? 

Honestly, from that post, it's hard to tell if Kelley is relaying something he read elsewhere or speculating on what he thinks might happen.

I'm sure we'll have another dedicated pre-release spoiler thread for the whores as and when those who are plugged into that matrix find the first ep8 rumours filtering through. :) Kind of crazy to think the next 'episode' movie is less than 18 months away actually.

Really looking forward to the 70mm IMAX viewing on Monday night. 

I agree with most of what's already been said, which surprises me as I generally don't agree with a single world you guys say about Walking Dead (Haha).  Apart from some of the choices Boyega was allowed to make (or otherwise directed to make) I feel this movie sets the high water mark for the ensemble acting in the series.  Had Phasma had a tail I feel Boyega would have stepped on it if given the chance.  Even so, I am far more impressed with his work than not.  For a villain I had high hopes for, and still do after reading the clues for what's planned regarding Christie's character, I would have rather seen Phasma treated with more dignity in her few interactions that made it into the film.  I was excited to hear Driver was cast as the villain and he lived up to my expectations - there is a real chance Star Wars may have two of the most interesting and intriguing villains in all of sci-fidom if the next installments successfully treat his arc like I expect they want to.  Daisey Ridley is a godsend.

Of all the things that tickled my inner nerd, I am profoundly satisfied that true and gripping lightsaber battles are once again part of the Star Wars universe.  While no subsequent sword fight will probably ever reach the dramatic heights of Obi-Wan vs. Vader, there is a real possibility that with this creative team lightsaber fights will be treated with the care and attention to purpose achieved in the OT, and never once even sniffed in the Prequel Trilogy.  This is exhibit #66 that this team gets it.

Newsflash: John Williams is a national treasure.

Scheduled to see it with friends at least 2 more times this week and will probably squeeze another showing in by myself in the meantime - that's what's up.  

We've waited an awful long time for this feeling.

Yep, the lightsaber duels were extremely well handled. No hoppy fancy/dance bullshit. Just rough, gritty sword fighting that felt like there was actual weight behind every swing.

It was a bit weak to see her lower the shields so easily, yes, but that's not what bugs me (and Chewie punching her really made me laugh, so not that). The last we see of her Finn wants to lock her away, and Han jokingly suggests a trash compactor... cut to another scene and we never see Phasma again... So what happened there? Where'd they put her? Since Kathleen Kennedy has said she'll be back would it not have been wise to let us see the outcome of that confrontation or see Hux recover her or something and the two of them board a shuttle? Barely being in the movie is fine IF they genuinely have a plan to flesh her out over the course of the trilogy, but it almost feels like they did a Boba Fett, then picked up on fan reaction to how much they love her and thought "oh shit, we'd better have her back in the next two"...

Maz has a similar mysterious exit. I wonder if the rumors surrounding the character have weight.

It appears many scenes were cut from the film, the visual dictionary shows a few.

Abrams said about 20mins or so got cut, around 12 full scenes and the rest scene extensions. I believe this was mentioned in a Collider interview.

I don't buy into the Maz rumours to be honest. They were kind of exploring different ideas for the entire film as they were making it I remember Kasdan saying (because Disney's release schedule just couldn't allow an extended pre-production period ahead of cameras rolling), plus a few things were changed to accommodate what Johnson was planning for VIII. Above all, don't forget Abrams and Kasdan always had a 2hrs 10 - 2hrs 15 running time in their head without wanting a movie that outstayed its welcome, and the final edit achieved that.

I wonder if Kylo will have a new mask in the next one, or even have a mask at all since he leaves his existing one on the walkway (have to love that walkway having no safety railings in true Star Wars fashion. :) ).

I went in with near zero spoilers. As soon as I saw the catwalk/walkway & the overall build of the room, I mentally went "uhoh". The entire theatre went ridiculously quiet.

Not much to say that hasn't been said. I thoroughly enjoyed it despite a couple of pacing problems (despite a near breakneck speed), Harrison Ford looking a little (expectedly!) slow, and as has been stated, a purposeful focus on following the structure/beats of the first film. It's not perfect, but I enjoyed it & look forward to seeing it again with my kids on Sunday - I got grilled before bedtime about it - Is Count Dooku in it? .... Kylo Ren's the "Bad Guy", right? ... Is Anakin in it? ... (From my 9 year old daughter who's poo pooed it all month) Is Rey like me? This stopped me on the stairs. I said she's the hero, she's strong, cool & kicks ass.

Yep, the lightsaber duels were extremely well handled. No hoppy fancy/dance bullshit. Just rough, gritty sword fighting that felt like there was actual weight behind every swing.

I recalled Kurosawa/Inagaki movies when watching them. Now that I'll allow myself to read about Force Awakens it will surprise me not at all if I find that either of those directors were conscious inspirations. Either way, the lightsaber duels were fucking awesome and they felt like honest-to-god, authentic Star Wars. That's not something we've had since even Marquand's hamfisting of Luke vs. Vader II over 30 years ago, and even that was cinematic ambrosia compared to the shit fest that was the prequel trilogy's lightsaber masturbation train.

On a different note, I forgot to mention that it's a shame Fischer didn't take the intervening years, with regards to acting, more seriously. She did enough to service the scenes, to be sure, but in contrast to Ford, who's become unsurprisingly polished in the art of subtlety and not-acting-like-you're-acting when you are in fact knocking it out of the park expertise, she does herself no favors in comparison during the times they are on the screen together. The difference is stark. It's not a knock against the movie, and perhaps more a compliment to Ford than anything else, but Leia could have gripped me harder and played my soul with a touch more deftness, though I was eager to give myself over to be played - The scenes were certainly there for her to spread her wings but, alas, Fischer never took the time to learn to fly.

I'll be watching the IMAX presentation in 11 hours.  I thought that 3D in XD was handled pretty well.  I'm going to see if I can pick up anything I missed the first time around.

Honestly, from that post, it's hard to tell if Kelley is relaying something he read elsewhere or speculating on what he thinks might happen.

total speculation! If anything else I'll take it to a new thread!

I went in with near zero spoilers. As soon as I saw the catwalk/walkway & the overall build of the room, I mentally went "uhoh". The entire theatre went ridiculously quiet.

Same here.  Actually, I didn't even get that far.  Once Han and Chewie started sneaking into the facility, I was pretty sure they BOTH would be toast.  So I was partially wrong on that count. 

I had a really great time, saw it in IMAX 3D and there were some truly breathtaking cinematographic moments.  My expectations were low going into all of this.  And then after the first two minutes of the opening scene, I was like "This is already better than all of the high points of the prequels combined."  

It just occurred to me that The Force Awakens is a true Disney movie as it includes the death of a main character's parent.

Lol

It just occurred to me that The Force Awakens is a true Disney movie as it includes the death of a main character's parent.

True, except Bambi didn't kill his own mother.

After several dozen listens I feel that I certainly rank the score above that of Clones and Sith. I like it as much as Phantom Menace's score, though for different reasons. Rey's theme I honestly love more than any new theme from the prequel era (I know people love the grand choral statements of Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes, and I do too, albeit less as pieces of Star Wars music. The prequel music often had to be grander because the content on screen just wasn't there to back it up or balance it out. Until last week it was always Anakin's Theme that I held most dear of all the new music the series has had since 99). I'm so eager to hear how all the new themes from Force Awakens evolve in the future episodes. I'll say again that the last five cues on the album in particular are just a spectacular tour de force. 

Best end credits suite since Jedi too. SO great to finally go back to the days of the original trilogy when the credits had their own unique ending. 

Rightfully absent from the album, tracking in the force theme from 'Burning Homestead' from the original movie should bug me in that moment when Rey calls the lightsaber to her, but it really hit me with a wave of feels during both viewings of the film itself. :) I'd like to know the reasons that prompted them having to track that in from the 77 score though. It's done tastefully as far as the editing goes, especially since the recording sessions were spread over so many months to avoid the music being chopped up in post, but if you know your music you know exactly where it is originally from. From a dramatic standpoint, using it creates a direct callback to Luke realising what his place is when he turns to tell Obi Wan he wants to become a Jedi in the first film.

got back from a 3D/DBOX viewing. Man, what a great movie. I was hoping Ren would be a great villain, and he is. All of the new characters are so good. BB8's thumbs up may be one of the best things ever put to film. I highly recommend the 3D viewing. 3D is very tasteful. Gives the film such a great depth. Going to catch a 2nd viewing in the next week or so.

-Dean-

got back from a 3D/DBOX viewing. Man, what a great movie. I was hoping Ren would be a great villain, and he is. All of the new characters are so good. BB8's thumbs up may be one of the best things ever put to film. I highly recommend the 3D viewing. 3D is very tasteful. Gives the film such a great depth. Going to catch a 2nd viewing in the next week or so.

-Dean-

I was wondering if I'd made a huge mistake while watching the trailers.  Then I later realized the other movies are all just garbage and handle the 3D very poorly.  

God...I know I'm in the minority, but I likely won't see any of the 1329481^2 trailers that were shown with MAYBE an exception for Star Trek.  And even that was a crap trailer.

Loved the second viewing more than the first.

A few minor issues for me (Snoke being CGI, Parts of the Freighter scene (Rathar's), and would have liked a little more backstory), but this no doubt a fun ride, I can't wait to see where it goes from here. The Snow Forest battle is a thing of beauty.

I need to catch a 2D show, for me 3D isn't doing much for this film.

When Snoke is speaking to Kylo, he says "Even you, last of the Knights or Ren" or "Even you, Leader of the Knights of Ren", did anyone catch this clearly?

Ewan McGregor apparently voiced Ob-Wan in the vision when he says "Rey".

I was wondering if I'd made a huge mistake while watching the trailers.  Then I later realized the other movies are all just garbage and handle the 3D very poorly.  

I don't think 3D versions of trailers should necessarily be taken as indication of what the final pass of 3D conversion will be like on a finished movie. It's probably quite a rushed process for trailers if the content was not natively shot in 3D (which I guess is 99% of non animated 3D released content these days). Personally I just cannot do 3D as the reduced brightness and colour gives me terrible eye strain. I'd quite like to see if laser projection genuinely improves things in this regard, but I only know of one venue in London that currently has it and I'm not paying for the scaled down fake IMAX that it is.