LCVG

Star Wars The Episode VII The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Interesting that Poe's X-Wing is LCVG colors.

Ric Flair is strong in this film    

I'll have to find it somewhere, but I know I saw an interview with Abrams where he said, "Fuck Joey and his stupid 3D Blu-ray." Personally, I thought he was a little out of line with that one.

We don't no. Where she finds herself in the first vision is a real "squeeeee" moment for fans, then we see some shots used in the trailers (won't say which) then she has a vision of the forest duel and one flashback of her own.

Rey is a magnificent character. Independent, caring, a good fighter, amazing mechanic and a great pilot. *swoon*

So the music.... I think it is an excellent score. Of course it is. Williams' doesn't write bad music, and what we get here serves the movie very well and is actually quite complex. It is not really a slight against it to consider the score subdued in places, especially in comparison to the other six scores, and that in itself should give anyone pause of thought. After SIX scores from the same composer it feels only logical that we get something different, and this is a very modern Star Wars movie as I wrote elsewhere.

The prequel scores differ to the original scores, and so now do the sequel scores. If that sounds as though I am making excuses for the score, I'm not. I think it's a score with momentum, just like the new hero themes have a sense of building to something, especially Rey's theme which (rightfully given she is the lead) is the backbone of the score in many ways. Likewise, as the score as a whole progresses it layers in numerous callbacks to the force theme as if to say the force had awoken musically by the end of the film. 

One curious thing, which works well but is curious nonetheless, is they track is the rendition of the Force Theme from the original film's 'Burning homestead' cue when Rey summons Luke's lightsaber. 'Finn's Confession' is an interesting cue as it is very similar to 'Talk of Podracing' from Phantom Menace. It's the only nod to a prequel melody I could detect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm8FkHhboTA&ab_channel=MOVIEMUSIC

Surprisingly, I can think of no notable cues in the movie that I miss not having on the album. The album assembly is pretty perfect. The last five cues are exceptionally strong. 

I'm good with everything too though the whole StarKiller/Death Star angle has me worried. We've already had two films dealing with that - don't want to see the whole blow up the Death Star sequence repeated again.

You know.... it works. I don't know why. It didn't bug me like I feared it might, although a huge space battle would have been just as exciting without repeating the past (let's be honest here, the central story beats of Force Awakens are damn near IDENTICAL to the original film). The baddies in this universe just seem to have an obsession with wanting to obliterate planets, I suppose. As a weapon it does something quite different to the Death Star, and the size comparison is immense, plus it is partially a planet with snow covered terrain, mountains and forests.

I'm curious to know what the First Order has as a weapon in the next two films though, and to have built something like the Starkiller base seems to suggest the First Order is better bankrolled than the Empire ever was. One would think their powers are greatly diminished at this point. Hux is a total warmongering lunatic. 

I loved it.

One quick question, because I didn't hear it well, when Han yells out for Kylo, what name does he yell?

He yells Ben. His actual name. (Ben Solo)

Just got back. I want another viewing to let it all settle in but first impression? JJ nailed it for me. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread or even the best film in this franchise but it breaths real life into a series of films that desperately needed it after the damage done in the past.

If there's criticism to be leveled its that the movie is indeed "safe" and perhaps a bit predictable in that it follows the structure of Episode IV to the letter but after the disaster that was the prequels, I do not have an issue with Abrams going back to what worked so well the first time around. To be honest, the strength of the characters here completely overshadows any perceived structural "me too" issues that might have bothered me otherwise. This is Daisy Ridley and John Boyega's movie and its all the better for it. Both are just superb top to bottom. They have wonderful chemistry together and Boyega in particular looks like he is having SOOOO much fun that its utterly infectious. He brings some rather fantastic comedy moments, too.

Ridley as Rey is perfect casting. Its been a good year for women in blockbusters (Furiosa!) and she continues on an excellent trend. She's beautiful, gifted, charming and given to the audience as a self-sufficient and powerful young woman. Adam Driver and Issacs are also to be commended. Driver in particular for giving nuance and depth to a character who could have come off as little more than a Vader clone (and its what he WANTS to be!). He truly is what Anakin should have been in the prequels and even after seeing the Solo scene online, it still worked on the big screen for me. Isaacs is a bit underutilized as Poe but I enjoyed the bond Poe and Finn developed after only a short time together. 

Yes, Starkiller Base is a retread of the Death Star (but bigger) but as Daniel mentions - it works. You can feel JJ going through pains to differentiate it at the end but it works on the strength of the characters in the movie (again). 

I would agree 100% with those that had issues with the pirate gang scene. It feels off and comes at a time when the movie could really use a breather. I know the point was to show that Han is back into his smuggler role and how the Falcon ended up on Jakku but that could have been done with dialogue and less CG monsters.

My only other concern is that the trilogy will become a mirror of the original. If this is headed towards a Kylo redemption arch with him tossing Snoke into a generator that will be /extremely/ disappointing. I'm hoping that's not the case but we'll have to wait and see.

For now, Rey is perhaps my favorite aspect of this new trilogy but the best compliment that I can give this movie is that I WANT MORE. I want to know more about ALL of these new characters. I want to spend more time with them and I geniunely /liked/ them all (even the ones I was supposed to hate). 

It's a great feeling to have some mystery surrounding Star Wars again, isn't it? Who or what is Snoke? Where did he come from? Is Rey Luke's daughter? Why did Kylo turn on Luke and destroy the new Jedi Academy? What part will Poe come to play in the next two movies? Finn? Is he force sensitive? Kylo sensing his betrayal can't just be a coincidence, right? How does the New Republic fit into all of this? We know they are backing the resistance but what is the structure? What kind of fleet do they really have?

I get images of Luke, Leia and Rey on Coruscant visiting the destroyed Jedi Temple and the New Republic Senate and it gives me goosebumps. :) Something I haven't felt for Star Wars in a long time. Bring on Episode VIII!

Agree with everything you said Romier. The new characters on both sides are what sealed it for me. i want to know more about all of them. The moment where you realize Rey is using the force to grab the saber at the same time as Kylo, I almost jumped out of my seat. Also that last scene gave me that feeling that the riders of Rohan did in RoTk. So well done.

By the way, I loved the scene where Kylo is having his goth kid tempter tantrum and the two Stormtroopers pulled a ....

865ebf700194ab0bfceb7f9146014aec.gif

:lawl

Kylo is such a great villain for so many reasons. The fact that he's trying to so hard to be Vader and you can tell that the higher ups in the First Order like General Hux sort of see him as a bit of joke but still put him with him because of his power is fantasic. Hux and Kylo both reporting to Snoke side by side as near equals sort of tells you his place as opposed to Vader who pretty much had pure access to the Emperor. Only Tarkin had any kind of leash on him in the original. Very different dynamic.

I so bad wanted the movie to end like this

Rey climbs to the top, Luke turns around

"Hello Rey"

"How do you know who I am"

"Because I am your father"

I was ready to yell and fall out of my seat and they just never quite got there.

And I thought he said Ben, but two of my kids insisted it was Ren, just wanted to be sure.

I actually managed to stay away from all spoilers in regards to the film, so I didn't know Kylo was their son or what his actual name was. And I didn't know what would happen to Han though by that point, you could kind of see it coming a mile away. I will give credit though, it was filmed well enough, that there was that slight thought that maybe it wouldn't end like that.

One little thing that bothers me about the movie, and it really is inconsequential since the base is destined to be destroyed, is what in the hell use is the base after it has depleted the star it orbits?  I mean, sure, the Death Star had no visible propulsion systems but it would have been far less massive than even the smallest of moons and thus relatively easy to move.  You can't move a planet though, I don't give a shit how strong in the force you are or how good you're engineering is.  So essentially you are getting two uses out of a base before it becomes worthless.  

Yes, I know, little details.

One little thing that bothers me about the movie, and it really is inconsequential since the base is destined to be destroyed, is what in the hell use is the base after it has depleted the star it orbits?  I mean, sure, the Death Star had no visible propulsion systems but it would have been far less massive than even the smallest of moons and thus relatively easy to move.  You can't move a planet though, I don't give a shit how strong in the force you are or how good you're engineering is.  So essentially you are getting two uses out of a base before it becomes worthless.  

Yes, I know, little details.

That was actually my number one question as well.  

I loved the movie.

My only other concern is that the trilogy will become a mirror of the original. If this is headed towards a Kylo redemption arch with him tossing Snoke into a generator that will be /extremely/ disappointing. I'm hoping that's not the case but we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think it will. It struck me as a respectful nod to Lucas' vision that certain story aspects through the saga have an almost rhyming effect as if to say that serendipity is kind of something inherent to the mystical way the force works. Kasdan has described Rian Johnson as "doing his own weird thing" with VIII, so I think moving forward it's going to evolve into its own unique series of various twists and turns. We've no clue where Benicio Del Toro fits into Johnson's movie, so that'll surely be another new character to throw another spanner in the works. I still want a firm answer as to who is writing IX. 

With Han dead it seems SO right for Lando to come in to the aid of the resistance at this point. Do it, Johnson. 

I get images of Luke, Leia and Rey on Coruscant visiting the destroyed Jedi Temple and the New Republic Senate and it gives me goosebumps. :) Something I haven't felt for Star Wars in a long time. Bring on Episode VIII!

The New Republic is wiped out when the heroes are on Maz's planet, no? Finn yells "it was the republic," plus the only thing I can take from the First Order having lost their ultimate weapon is that they at least achieved half their goal in wiping out the New Republic even though they lost it before it could be fired on the planets housing the Resistance. I think this is possibly why the Starkiller base works like it does. It isn't meant to run forever, it just needs enough power to reach the planets it needed to reach.

By and Kylo both reporting to Snoke side by side as near equals sort of tells you his place as opposed to Vader who pretty much had pure access to the Emperor. Only Tarkin had any kind of leash on him in the original. Very different dynamic.

I love it when Kylo is addressing Snoke unmasked, and Hux walks in interrupting them. Kylo says nothing but his face says so much (not only that he hates that they have been interrupted, but that he's a little embarrassed for Hux to see him without the mask too).

What activated R2-D2 at the end? Seemed like he waiting for some specific event to happen before he revealed the rest of the map, but what was it?

Well, one could argue the return of the map, but it is returned and looked over earlier in the movie by Leia, so we can count that out. Maybe droids are force sensitive. :)  In all honestly, I think 3P0 says R2 is in "low power mode" is that right? In which case, it implies R2 may internally be aware of events going on around him, that he is always listening so to speak, so after the destruction of the base he might have known it to be a safe time to come out of hibernation, and with the other piece of the map found he could show the others the information he has. That's actually another reason I have no big issue with the film mirroring IV so much as it's really sweet how both droids, who each carried valuable information in the first of their respective trilogies, come together to deliver a whole piece of information at the end of The Force Awakens. 

Speaking of droids, BB-8 truly is a miracle of design. It's just extraordinary how much personality he has. Star Wars has seen nothing like him since R2 himself. Before the film I had wondered how his relationship with R2 might play out as I wasn't expecting R2 to be sleeping throughout the movie, and figured maybe they would not like one another initially. As the movie plays out, the way BB-8 clearly has long term affection for R2 and wants his friend to wake up is adorable. BB-8 is like a puppy in so many ways through the film.

It REALLY made me laugh how 3PO interrupts Han and Leia having a moment. That seemed like a very Kasdan thing and it was brave to just shove it in there when these characters are being reunited for the first time in several years for them, and for the audience even longer. It just seems to make the reunion resonate even further since 3P0 had such a habit of ruining a special moment between the two of them in Empire. I also loved how Han and Leia's love for one another has not changed, that she is not even bitter that Han just went back to smuggling, that she knew him so well to understand it was his way of coping. That's an eternal mutual respect there.

It's quite beautiful how Luke has tears in his eyes at the end, surely sensing the loss of Han, further lamenting having lost Ben to Snoke, but probably relief to finally see another person after goodness knows how many years (and maybe indeed to see Rey specifically, we don't know). Luke's sense of shame must be so much deeper and personal than Obi-Wan's given he let his nephew and the son of a dear friend fall. 

A few things about what was said in the last few posts

1)I doubt that was the last of the New Republic as it was only 5-6 planets, and someone says that the NR fleet could not get there in time for the attack on Starkiller

2)I thought R2 took himself out of Low Power because he noticed Rey And the map as well.

I enjoyed it, but the tone felt out of place in several scenes, hoping the second viewing changes my opinion about some of them.

I expect to have questions after a Star Wars movie, but IMO the film could have used more exposition, some of these will no doubt be answered in the next film

How did Lor San Tekka get the map?

Why didn't the FO Star Destroyer chase after the falcon leaving Jakku?

How did Han/Chewie find the falcon?

Who is Snoke/Where did he come from/How did he rise to power/How did he seduce Kylo?

Why did Kylo turn and form the Knights of Ren/Who are the Knights of Ren?

Why did Rey suddenly awaken with the force?

It feels like Rey may be Luke's Daughter, though she seems to have no recollection of him, How did she learn how to use the force so easily, was she one of Luke's students that escaped Kylo's attack?

Curious to read your thoughts on that Joey.

BB-8 with the flame thumbs up was brilliant! Loved BB-8.

I also really liked Kylo/Rey, the snow battle was gorgeous and one of my favorite duels in Star Wars.

Was the first line of the film a shot at Lucas? "This will begin to make things right"

Not sure how I feel about Finn/Poe, I liked some of their scenes, other times it felt off (Too much comedy?), I guess I was expecting Finn to be more serious coming from FO.