LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Open world fatigue...

There's tons of linear games out there still, just not from Ubisoft ;) Seriously though, crafted linear experiences do exist, particularly from Japan & in the indie scene (in among rogue-likes, indie's own open-world-like crutch)...

Sure, I was writing in broader terms of what we're being spoon-fed by the major publishers. Like I said though, I'm still not sure that solves my gaming conundrum as, again, I know i have a great many unplayed games sitting there on my PS+ list, but I seem to lack motivation to want to play anything. 

I really have had my fill of open world games at this point which really fucking sucks because I completely love the movement and feel of Catalyst thus far. The main story is apparently pretty short (beatable in 6-8 hours) so I might just do that and move on but then I feel like I've short changed myself on the experience. Does that make sense? I cannot do the open world slog anymore unless the content is actually proven to be worthwhile (The Witcher 3 for instance which may have ruined me on other open world games to be frank).

Short-changed yourself on what? Tens of hours of boring, tedious side-missions that don't add any real value to the game? Do yourself a favor and skip over all that. Play the main story and enjoy that experience if that's what you really want. Just because the developers put all this extra content in the game, doesn't mean we're obligated to play it, even if we pay $60 for it.

I've played a number of open world games lately, and I have thus far managed to avoid being burned out by them. I do this a number of ways. First, I don't commit to completing all the side quests or finding all the trinkets hidden throughout the game world if I don't really want to. These quests are usually just filler added in to make the game longer, and don't add any real value to the experience. I stick to the main campaign, which is usually long enough to leave me feeling satisfied. Sometimes, as is the case recently with Gravity Rush Remastered, I will actually do all the side quests, but it has to be fun enough to not feel like grinding, which can be difficult to do.

Second, I try to make use of any fast travel options available to me to get from mission to mission as quickly as I can. This usually helps to cut down on the ridiculous travel times traversing the map, and lets me get to the meat of the experience as quickly as possible. For instance in L.A. Noire, I alway let my partner drive to a crime scene. That way I could not only pay closer attention to the dialog between the main character and his partner, I could also quickly load up the next scene without having to drive around the game map, which wasn't the appeal of it to me.

Third, and most importantly, I play a variety of game types that include many linear ones. As Brian mentioned, they are still out there and a quick look at my recently played games shows this to be the case. Games like Uncharted 4VolumeQuantum Break, and Yoshi's Wolly World. Moreso, I try to sprinkle in a few shorter titles every now and then too like Firewatch, Prune, and Gone Home, just so that I can play something in a day or two and not feel like I'm bogged down by a single massive title.

Interest in the medium ebbs and flows for many of us as we grow older I'm sure. It certainly has for me in the past, but something feels a bit different this year. Big games I have been anticipating like Mirror's Edge and No Man's Sky are now titles I feel I could take or leave, and will indeed most likely be left. Why is that I wonder?

I don't know why your interest in gaming has waned as of late, but I know how you feel. I went through that myself around 2008-11. I still played games during this time, but I wasn't consuming them as feverishly as I once had. Oddly enough, it wasn't until after the birth of my first son and I suddenly had all the responsibility of caring for a child that I suddenly started playing games again with the passion and fervor I had during the early 2000s. I'm sure my interest will wane again at some point, but right now, I can't get enough of it.

I don't know why your interest in gaming has waned as of late, but I know how you feel. I went through that myself around 2008-11. I still played games during this time, but I wasn't consuming them as feverishly as I once had. Oddly enough, it wasn't until after the birth of my first son and I suddenly had all the responsibility of caring for a child that I suddenly started playing games again with the passion and fervor I had during the early 2000s. I'm sure my interest will wane again at some point, but right now, I can't get enough of it.

Part of me wondered if games are simply being announced and revealed too far in advance. When it's 2-3yrs until many reach us, capped off by an inevitable delay from an originally announced street date, perhaps it wounds any sense of excitement and anticipation I feel. If that is a factor, I'm still not sure it is the only one however, so my feelings are probably made up of an assortment of issues. 

I agree with most of JFo and Dan have said. Basically I know I prefer linear games but I have no trouble playing the more open world games because I just ignore a lot of the side stuff. I have been known to be obsessive about completing everything in a game, but it is rare.

Right now my playing time is way down. I have a list of titles I want to play but every time I think about tying up my time like that I back away. Not really sure why. I am hooked on a lot of physical activity lately and sitting in front of a game severely cuts into my exercise time!

Never thought that would happen to me. :)

And, as my grandkids have taken over use of the 360 for Minecraft and Lego Dimensions my time for gaming has diminished. (Can't stand Minecraft - but they love it!)

Short-changed yourself on what? Tens of hours of boring, tedious side-missions that don't add any real value to the game? Do yourself a favor and skip over all that. Play the main story and enjoy that experience if that's what you really want. Just because the developers put all this extra content in the game, doesn't mean we're obligated to play it, even if we pay $60 for it.

Simple to say, not quite so black and white in some cases and very game dependent. You're coming at it from a valuation standpoint (i.e. I need to get my $60 worth) and that's fair but it wasn't really my point. In the case of Mirror's Edge, much of that side content is tied to an XP system that unlocks skills. Not just little side skills that enhance or add an outfit or two but a good number of the core parkour moves that Faith had right from the get-go in the original are locked behind that XP wall. So in some ways your forced to partake in at least some of that content to get a full breath of the gameplay available. That's where the short changing comes in. Now the game may be structured in a way that doing only the main quests unlock a bulk of what you need. It may not. Either way, in many cases its difficult to ignore all the fluff for reasons like that and that's where the "short changed" comes into the equation. 

The second part of the equation is something that's maybe very unique to little old me but there's something in my brain that doesn't allow me to leave those little icons on a map untouched. It's a purely OCD thing. I'm fucking neurotic that way and it's one of the reasons I tend to fatigue much quicker with these games. I'm getting better about it. I dropped Arkham Knight without partaking in much of is tedious content but again - it's a struggle as I'm just the type of person that wants to see that 100% by the time I'm done with a game. :D

For far too many games now, I've given up around halfway in to the story because I'm bored of all the mechanics it offers after spending far too long idly wandering around completing side-missions and collecting nonsense. I think there's been a grand total of one point in the whole of Destiny's story (which I did complete the main stuff from, including expansions, because the flow is great) where I felt in any way challenged, and that was a House Of Wolves thing where it assumed I'd learned a puzzle in the first Raid. Otherwise, I'd always upgraded far too much from optional wandering around nonsense to find the next story thing reasonably capable of killing me except when I wasn't paying attention to health.

You know, I should really probably listen to the advice of not doing all the damn side quests in these sprawling, open world games. That has absolutely done me in on several games. Latest was Fallout 4. I never even finished the main quest line, since I was totally burned out by the game after setting up so many settlements, and doing side quests. Not eve the least bit interested in any dlc for that game.

Currently working through Witcher 3; which is way overdue, annnnnd...I'm doing many side quests/monster quests. After I'm done with this game, I have no idea what will be my next one of this scale. Maybe No Mans Sky.