LCVG

Return of the King Review and Discussion Thread

kelley

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly,

I hope you are taking the day off. It will be probably 3:30 or 4am before you hit the hay.

Myself I had to use a floating holiday anyway so I took one tomorrow. I didn't realize it until Saturday but ROTK comes out that day too so I'm going to the 10am showing which is discounted too :)

Went to a 12:01 showing of it here in NY. For the past two years I've had the pleasure of seeing the best film of the year, perhaps of all time, in December. This year was no different.

I have nothing to look forward to next year. :(

Some friends were at the 3 film screening in NYC. Andy Serkis, Dominic Monaghan, Sean Astin and Elijah Wood were there as surprised guests. They answered questions and kicked off RotK. The audience even got framed "cels" from the film as gifts. I wish I had gone. :(

My buddy sent another buddy to pick up tix at the MJ (IIRC) somewhere near Carlisle or Harrisburg for the midnight show last night.

The ticket office guy told him that the nerds descended en masse hours and hours before the ticket office opened and then cleaned out all available tickets like a horde of smelly locusts.

I hope to catch a weekend show.

-j

Well I sit here in my cubicle having only slept 3 hours last night, yet I'm so excited to get up and go see it again. This film lived up to every last drop of hype that anyone has given it, and then some. I don't think there has ever been a battle so beautifully shot and shown then the one here. The last half of the movie I always had a tear in my eye it seemed. Now in my mind when someone speaks of a great trilogy, Star Wars will no longer be first on my tongue. Truly the greatest film of the year, and when you put all three together easily the greatest film ever.

Absolutely amazing.

My breath was taken away for almost the full three hours. So many moments to remember, so much emotion. This is by far the best of three. The last 20 minutes had me sobbing like little girl and I loved every minute. The final moment with the hobbits at the harbor was just so heartbreaking I could barely move.

Once a bit more time goes on I'll delve more into it with spoilers but for now I will say (and I don't say it lightly) this is one of the best films I have ever witnessed in my lifetime and bow before the might of Peter Jackson and co.

Bring on Extended Edition!

EDIT: One last bit. The Witch King and Eowyn! My absolute favorite moment of the film.

Originally posted by Whooter@Dec 17 2003, 04:26 PM

Bring on Extended Edition!

I thought I'd read that this version basically IS the Extended Edition... ?

Nah, he gave an interciew a few days ago talking about how he had to cut 105 minutes from the film. Including the voice of Saruman. I expect we are going to get one monster of an EE.

One of the finest films of the last decade. A studio picture has not left me so enthralled and in wonder of what can be achieved via the medium of cinema since Schindler's List. I'd deem it flawless in it's theatrical incarnation, and expect the extended edition to be beyond brilliance.

I thought I'd read that this version basically IS the Extended Edition... ?

Oh goodness me no. As has already been said, Voice of Saruman is being left for the extended, as is Houses of the Healing, the extra stuff at the black gate and the Eowyn/Faramir subplot. Plus more! The original cut ran in at an hour longer, but as with both previous extended cuts, I don't expect all of the footage to be put back, but I think a good thirty to forty minutes can be expected.

Daniel

PS: I saw it twice today, and as I had hoped, Peter Jackson being united with his usual editor Jamie Selkirk made Return of the King a triumph of film editing that I truly hope wins an oscar. Nothing drags, nothing comes that makes you want to get on to another scene. It is a joy to watch multiple times and just flies by.

Jamie Selkirk made Return of the King a triumph of film editing that I truly hope wins an oscar. Nothing drags, nothing comes that makes you want to get on to another scene.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't find myself antsy or bored once. As a matter of fact I had to pee through about half the movie and kept waiting for a good opportunity to go. I just couldn't find one. :lol: