LCVG

Psychonauts 2 - Now coming 2021 (Xbox One, Series X, PS4 and PC) Game Pass also...

JFo

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

So you know something we don’t Mr. Microsoft employee? ;)

Zero inside information :P . Guess based on how the xbox.com page was updated with a ton of information + precise details  about the release, except for a date, the updated previews + build up on information about the game. Everything except a date. 

18 minutes ago, dogbert said:

They put it up for preload off xbox.com too - that usually only happens right before release. That's the big tip that it might be at E3 for me.

Yeah, that's a good sign.  No reason to put the bits on the CDN if they're nowhere close to done.  They also just put the original up on Game Pass. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I mentioned it on Sunday in the Discord but it kind of resembles the look of one of Laika Studios stop motion films which I really love.

They are a very similar style. The VR game they released was a real eye opening experience. The 3D that a VR experience delivered made the characters look like real physical models like Laika would use. 

12 hours ago, Graeme said:

They are a very similar style. The VR game they released was a real eye opening experience. The 3D that a VR experience delivered made the characters look like real physical models like Laika would use. 

I really wish that VR game got ported to Quest.  Maybe once Psychonauts 2 is out?

As I mentioned on Twitter, an August release date suits me just fine. It gives me the chance to go back and replay the original, which I have not touched since its initial release on the first Xbox. 

The only issue I have is that this game is being released the day after Kena: Bridge of Spirits, another highly anticipated title for me. I may end up playing both of them concurrently so I don’t feel bad about putting either one off.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

As I mentioned on Twitter, an August release date suits me just fine. It gives me the chance to go back and replay the original, which I have not touched since its initial release on the first Xbox. 

The only issue I have is that this game is being released the day after Kena: Bridge of Spirits, another highly anticipated title for me. I may end up playing both of them concurrently so I don’t feel bad about putting either one off.

Kena is apparently clocking in at the 10-12 hour range so it may end up being a nice palette cleanser for a lengthier experience or a shorter morsel leading into a longer game. I’m going to wait to see how how both games fair in the overall length department before deciding which to play first. If I do replay the original right before August, I may not hold off on the sequel despite Kena also being highly anticipated as well.

• 4 weeks later...

The game will feature an invincibility toggle and other accessibility features to make it as accessible for all ages as possible:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-11-psychonauts-2-will-feature-an-invincibility-toggle-to-enable-all-ages-all-possible-needs-to-enjoy-the-game

I think its great. Making the game more accessible isn't hurting anyone and I can choose not to use any of it if I want the challenge.

17 minutes ago, kelley said:

I wish more games would do this....looking at you Returnal.

I personally wouldn't care about an easy mode in Returnal or even for games like Dark Souls for instance but I also understand that not every developer has the same vision for their game either. So I'm perfectly fine with the Miyazakis of the world not wanting to make their games more accessible. That's his preference and its up the publisher to determine if that decision will impact the sales of the product enough to make changes. The reality is that it hasn't hurt the Souls series in terms of sales or growth (nor did it for Returnal as that was seemingly successful enough for the studio to be purchased) and I'll reiterate this often - not every game needs to be for everyone. 

I’m going to jump into this, though understand I can’t put my words into thoughts nearly as well as everyone else. I totally agree, the developer should be able to make the game to their vision. But I think to say not every game needs to be for everyone is a little short sighted. If I remember the figures correctly, something like 25% of the population has some sort of disability. People that would love to play a Souls game, but simply can’t. Should they be excluded thru no fault of their own? It’s a fine line, and understandably there isn’t an answer that will work for everyone. But I think more developers should take this into consideration when building their games. The vision can still be there even if they have accessibility options so more people can enjoy their game. I mean ultimately, isn’t more people playing their game what they want?

And ideally, rather then have difficulty levels, make accessibility options instead, allowing people to play the game the way they want or can. That is something as a consumer, we should be able to do.

Anyway, what companies like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Ubisoft have done is great, and hopefully we reach a point where there is accessibility options in most, if not all, games.

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I’m going to jump into this, though understand I can’t put my words into thoughts nearly as well as everyone else. I totally agree, the developer should be able to make the game to their vision. But I think to say not every game needs to be for everyone is a little short sighted. If I remember the figures correctly, something like 25% of the population has some sort of disability. People that would love to play a Souls game, but simply can’t. Should they be excluded thru no fault of their own? It’s a fine line, and understandably there isn’t an answer that will work for everyone. But I think more developers should take this into consideration when building their games. The vision can still be there even if they have accessibility options so more people can enjoy their game. I mean ultimately, isn’t more people playing their game what they want?

No, of course not and I've already given you my personal opinion on what I feel about difficulty and accessibility within games in that original post. *I* have no issues with easier difficulty modes being there but I don't design video games and some of these creators design their games around a specific audience whether you or I like it or not. I'm a huge proponent of accessibility options within games. I love the controller Microsoft created for folks with disabilities. I want more of that within the industry. Difficulty is certainly a form of accessibility but I have a tougher time applying blanket statements to how developers should be tackling difficulty within their games because I understand that much like creators in other mediums, they have a specific vision in mind. It's a touchy subject, I agree.

I also don't disagree with the notion of more people playing being a good thing. Absolutely! I'm sure publishers want to sell as many copies of their games as they possibly can but in the case of some titles - their "inaccessibility" or difficulty as it were *is* the appeal. You or I viewing it as short sighted doesn't mean a thing when a series like Dark Souls has sold over 25 million copies. Let me be clear - someone not being able to play Dark Souls because of a disability is an issue that should absolutely be addressed through innovative control ideas like what Microsoft developed and accessibility options at the level of what's available in something like "The Last of Us Part II" which does an absolutely superb job and should be used as a template moving forward. Should Dark Souls have an easy mode? I'm fine with it and would have no issues if say Elden Ring had an easy mode but I'm not Miyazaki. I understand that he is making a certain type of game that appeals to a certain type of player and he's found a lot of success with that and I'm ok with that, too.

That's part and parcel with the creators vision of what those games are. I know plenty of people disagree with that vision and that's fair enough. A lot of people don't like David Lynch movies because they can't make heads or tails of them. Should Lynch rewrite/restructure his movies so they make sense to mainstream audiences and are therefore "more accessible"? I don't think so. Dark Souls (and Returnal for that matter) is a hard game for players that appreciate a significant challenge in their games. That experience isn't for everyone and if I could play devils advocate for a moment - it doesn't necessarily need to be either. We aren't want for choice in terms of things to play out there.

Info on the games resolution and performance by platform:

Platform Max Res Max FPS HDR VRR Specifics
Xbox One 1920 x 1080 30 No No  
Xbox One X 3840 x 2160 30 No No  
Xbox Series S 2880 x 1620 60, 120* Yes Yes *1080p at 120Hz
Xbox Series X 3840 x 2160 60, 120* Yes Yes *1440p at 120Hz
PS4 Base 1920 x 1080 30 No No  
PS4 Pro 2560 x 1440 30 No No  
PS5* 2560 x 1440 60 No No *PS4 version running via backwards compatibility
Windows Unlimited Unlimited No Yes

FYI - the Xbox versions of the game that support HDR are doing so via Auto-HDR. Native HDR support is not available in any version.

Nice of them to include a BC+/unlocked framerate mode for PS5 users. There was never going to be a native PS5 version but its nice for those users to not be stuck at 30fps.

• Magness changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (PS4/PS5, XBX, PC, GamePass)