LCVG

Psychonauts 2 - Now coming 2021 (Xbox One, Series X, PS4 and PC) Game Pass also...

JFo

Man, I still need to go back and replay the original. How Long to Beat puts it at about 15 hours for Main + Extras (which is roughly how I played the first time all those many years ago). I think I could probably do that if I really push it after I get back home from my trip next week. It’d be nice to play the two games back-to-back.

Gone gold!

Does this seem a little late in the day to be hitting this milestone? Normally, I’d expect a game to go gold a month or more in advance of release. Are they doing a physical release? I checked at Amazon, Best Buy, and Target but didn’t see anything listed other than the digital version. 

Also, it’s interesting that the tweet didn’t mention it was coming to PlayStation as well…

EDIT: Never mind. They mention the PlayStation version a couple tweets later in the thread:

I do not believe that there is a physical release planned at the moment so going gold so late should not be an issue. Usually you want to go gold a month plus so that disc production can proceed but no such issue here.

I do so hope that we do see a physical release eventually from Microsoft directly or maybe a partner like Limited Run Games. I am happy to play it on Game Pass but I'd like to spend money on the actual game and won't do that until its physical or I don't have any other option other than to buy it digitally

Below is from a Fig update in June. The only physical edition is for backers, and they will get their copies after the game ships. 

Will there be a physical game release at retail?

- Currently the only confirmed physical releases are the ones associated with backing here on Fig.

- There are no current plans for additional physical releases at launch - however - we are looking into some options for post launch.

When will I get my physical copy of the Game?

- Backers with either a regular or collectors edition of Psychonauts 2 will get their hands on their boxes some time after launch.

- This is because Things like discs, art books, soundtracks all need to wait until the game is done before we can start to make them.

- You will get a key to play the game on launch day though

2 hours ago, JFo said:

EDIT: Never mind. They mention the PlayStation version a couple tweets later in the thread:

Decisions decisions. I had thought the PS4 version might be coming out later than Xbox and PC and had planned on subbing to Gamepass to play it either on my One S or PC. I’m pretty sure it will play best on the PS5 though.

So do I spend $80 for the PS4 digital version, or $17 for Gamepass (which will also enable me to try Flight Simulator and maybe Hades and some other games) and deal with a lesser quality experience?

Probably the second option. 

I don’t like that my best Xbox is a One S. 

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

Decisions decisions. I had thought the PS4 version might be coming out later than Xbox and PC and had planned on subbing to Gamepass to play it either on my One S or PC. I’m pretty sure it will play best on the PS5 though.

So do I spend $80 for the PS4 digital version, or $17 for Gamepass (which will also enable me to try Flight Simulator and maybe Hades and some other games) and deal with a lesser quality experience?

Probably the second option. 

I don’t like that my best Xbox is a One S. 

Yeah, if you had even a Series S, the decision would be a no brainer and Game Pass is the better overall value there but the PS4 version is going to net you a 1440p max resolution/60fps presentation vs 1080p max/30fps with the One S.

If you've got a decent PC, then Game Pass remains the better option there considering the other titles you'll get access to.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

If you've got a decent PC, then Game Pass remains the better option there considering the other titles you'll get access to.

My PC is mediocre at best, which is why I was going to try it on both the One S and my PC and see which was least worst. 

I would probably own a Series S if it came with a disc drive. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Magness changed the title to Psychonauts 2 (PS4/PS5, XBX, PC, GamePass)

Sadly, I won’t be able to start this quite yet. I’m still working my way through the first game. The good news is I’m close to being done. I just made it to the tower of the asylum this evening. Another couple hours and I should hopefully be done with it. Maybe I’ll be able to start it this weekend.

There's just nothing about this that isn't just tickling my fancy. I just took down the first major boss and am working my way to the next mission. I'll have more thoughts on it soon but I started it up with the intention of giving it an hour and by the time I looked up 5 hours had passed. The tell tale sign of a damned good game.:D

On 8/24/2021 at 11:42 PM, JFo said:

Sadly, I won’t be able to start this quite yet. I’m still working my way through the first game. The good news is I’m close to being done. I just made it to the tower of the asylum this evening. Another couple hours and I should hopefully be done with it. Maybe I’ll be able to start it this weekend.

Honestly, there's much more here narratively in regards to Rhombus of Ruin than the original game. I've actually been pretty surprised by it though there are some nice callbacks to the original game.

7 or so hours into the game and I just hit the main hub world for the game and well....

Episode 1 Mind Blown GIF by The Office

It's absolutely gorgeous, charming, beautiful...you name it. The music is inspired and calming. I also reached into the "unknown" brain for

Nick

which got me into the trippy 60's world which is semi cel-shaded and I'm just super impressed with the visuals and level design. I can't wait to keep playing but stupid work will get in the way tomorrow.:D

Credits are rolling as I type this.

I waited 16 years for this game and it was worth every last minute of that wait. Run, don’t walk to play one of the best games you’ll play this year. If Returnal didn’t exist, it would be my front runner for game of the year and it’s right there waiting for you to download on Game Pass.

For all that is holy, Microsoft release a physical edition of this glorious game. I want to give you money!

I’m a fair ways in… really liking it. There are a few technical/polish issues with it that are a bit bothersome, like weird jumps to cutscenes, sounds playing when it shouldn’t be, dialog playing over itself, some strange behaviour in the dialog trees, and I’ve had a few hard crashes back to the home screen and also got Raz stuck in the environment which required a reload. With this, a bit of the overall design and feel of the platforming, there are elements to this game that make it feel a few generations old. 

Also the load times on the One S are horrendous. I really wish I was playing on a Series X|S just for that (plus some of the other issues might be better too). 

But the game is delightful, clever, funny and just has so many hallmarks of a Double Fine/Tim Schaefer/Peter McConnell game that I will keep playing despite any shortcomings….. unless we hit a Meat Circus. 

I'm working on finishing the last of the achievements as we speak so I won't list the game as totally completed until I do. 

In so far as the issues you mentioned @Graeme, I can't say any of them reared their heads on the Series X. Outside of a few dropped frames in very rare instances, the game was the definition of polished for me. No audio issues, no crashes in nearly 25+ hours of play, etc. The only real criticism I would level on the technical front is that there is still loads of texture pop-in happening. Many scene transitions will show with low quality textures off the bat and then change to the high quality ones pretty quickly afterwards

The only gameplay related problem I had with the game was the combat. It feels.....superfluous. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. It's just sort of there as a "necessity" to break up the exploration and platforming but it never feels more than adequate and more often than not I wanted those sequences to end so that I could get back to the "real" game underneath.

Outside of that, the platforming and level design certainly has an old school feel about it but then that's what I loved so much about it. It's the original Psychonauts with snappier controls. The game at points doesn't have a discernable structure, too. It's often not just hub world, level, hub world, etc. You'll be inside of one person's mind and then go another layer deeper into a mind inside of a mind to get to the next level (INCEPTION!). The game is just bursting with creativity and visual flourish. It's a joy to play in that regard.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

Officially added to the complete pile! Some of the figments were bastards to find.

I was in Nicks new 🧠 last night and was literally picking up figments that I never even saw. The colour in that level makes them blend in almost perfectly. I am not looking forward to going back in there to find the remaining ones… so I may not. 

10 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I was in Nicks new 🧠 last night and was literally picking up figments that I never even saw. The colour in that level makes them blend in almost perfectly. I am not looking forward to going back in there to find the remaining ones… so I may not. 

Thats the one I replayed the most. I love those levels but fuck I was tired of scouring them by the time I finally got the last one. The good news is the backstage area is the absolute worst. The rest are pretty straightforward.

I finally finished this one up today. I completed the main story, then went back and explored the four areas of the physical world to find additional collectables I missed the first time. I'm nowhere near finding everything in the game, and I think I may just walk away from it. I'd hate to turn what was a brilliant and inventive gaming experience into a collect-a-thon slog.

That said, I loved just about everything about this game. Playing it immediately after the original (and watching a play through of In the Rhombus of Ruin on YouTube), I have a much deeper appreciation for both the quality of the writing and how much better the gameplay is. All of the charm and inventiveness of Psychonauts is here, but in a package that not only looks better (as you'd expect), but also feels so much more polished and modern.

I won't get into a full review here, but I will say that this is easily a contender for game of the year for me. There's just so much to love all around.