LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Star Trek Discovery - New TV show coming 2017

So no one else is watching this season? I just caught up with the first three episodes and I have to say that I'm really enjoying the heck out of it. You can tell the show runners took some of the criticisms of the first season to heart. The show just feels more "Star Trek" than it has ever felt. The second episode in particular about New Eden in particular was a wonderful microcosm of Trek-like adventurism. 

I'm really enjoying Anson Mount as Captain Pike and I like that the show is really trying to push the bridge crew more. Even if the vehicle they chose was a bit of a ham-handed forced introduction for Pike. Still, having these folks actually be part of away missions and giving them enough moments for the audience to get to know them is a big step forward. 

I'm a little more iffy on the overarching Red Angel macro-story but I'm willing to give it time to develop. It's functioning as a good mystery right now but I'd hate for the show to push its focus almost entirely on Spock. 

There's been a lot to like thus far. They even toned down the amount of spoken Klingon and definitely softened the design of the Klingons to bring them more in line with their normal look while retaining the unique aspects they introduced in the first season (adding a narrative reason for them regrowing their hair was interesting).

I'm eager for the next episode to drop and having Georgiou in Section 31 should be fun to navigate.:)

I am waiting for the season to finish, and I’ll binge it .  Just like I am waiting for a few shows on DC streaming to finish so I can binge those at once.

I'm watching and I'm on board with all of your points, Romier. I'm worried about how this whole Spock thing will play out, but it's definitely better than Season 1 which was ... not good.

I wonder if they'll reveal why Klingons look like Klingons unless they're TOS Klingons. Then they're just swarthy fellas.

Dug the hell out of this weeks episode. The show is at its best when it’s pushing old school Trek problem solving and morality plays. There was some heavy handed writing from time to time (the Saru/Burnam scene wasn’t entirely earned but they’re trying!) but it mostly worked.

I like how they’re slowly building the macro story at least. A little progress here and there with room to explore. It seems like we’re driving towards how the Spore drive was taken out of the mythology in the next episode or two. Glad to see that explained.

I thought the universal translator taking a dump and the ensuing scenes were fun. I really hope Pike sticks around. Mount is great in the role.

Another good episode. Star Trek and time travel shenanigans are like peanut butter and jelly but this week put together some good movement on the red angel stuff and had some nice character moments. Oh and

Talos IV!

I’m happy this is getting a third season. The show still has its issues but I fell like we’re going to get that third season jump we all expect from a Star Trek show.:)

• Like 1

Just saw the latest. This episode is what I wanted from a modern Trek show. Cheese, overacting, and a couple of fun ideas. Let the grimdark take a backseat.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Just saw the latest. This episode is what I wanted from a modern Trek show. Cheese, overacting, and a couple of fun ideas. Let the grimdark take a backseat.

Yep. The intro with footage from “The Cage” and how they tied it together with Vena was beautifully done. I got a good laugh at a couple of scenes. Saru justifying his allowing the fight in the mess hall by covering the sheer ridiculousness of the plot beats those characters had gone through was a good bit of self-referential deprecation. 

Michael’s “Do you think the beard is working?” was another good one thanks to its delivery in an otherwise super serious scene. It’s definitely getting to where I want it to be and its been a pleasant hour to spend every week. That was not the case in the first season.

On the grimdark front - is it me or did they considerably brighten the overall palette of the show as its progressed? Pike and Saru walking around Discovery really highlighted how much more light there is in comparison to the first season. 

I actually enjoyed last season, warts and all.  I've been looking for a show to fill this void for a while so any Star Trek has been a welcome addition to the rotation.  I agree though, I'm enjoying this season much more.  I'm worried that they're using Spock as a bit of a crutch, but it's working well enough so far for me.

You might be right about it being brighter, Romier. I think it could stand to be even brighter and definitely more colorful, but that's my preference.

And am I the only one who chuckled a little during the Harry & The Hendersons scene with Moppet Spock? Where's John Lithgow when you need him?

I like where this season is going!

Fun swerve even if you could see it coming a mile away. The episode got better as it progressed but considering it was the big reveal, they pulled it off well by the end. Not the best episode this season and I can’t say I’m super hyped about this whole thing being an

AI plot to destroy sentient life...Mass Effect much?

but I’m intirigued with where they go from here.

This series has been a tough haul for me. The biggest strike is against it - is the lack of continuity. There's no way in hell this series is taking place ten years before the original series!  Maybe in the JJ Kelvin universe but certainly not canon. The tech on display is ridiculous. The Enterprise is in this series is another continuity killer. And the Spock/Michael relationship is nonsense.

Star Trek has a distinctive look of the future that makes it a period piece and it should be treated as such. Stop these annoying reimagings!!!!!!

The show looks fantastic and the cast is uniformly good but the writing last season was horrible. It's improved somewhat this season but when you have an Admiral telling everyone on the Discovery bridge that Pike and the Enterprise are Starfleet's best - why wouldn't this show be about them instead?

Totally want to see that show. Anson Mount's Pike has easily been the best thing this season.

And Klingon Time Crystals? Seriously? And the Klingons wouldn't use them!?!? 

Yeah, right.

I've got a cargo hold full of tribbles for sale for anyone that buys that.

I have not watched S2 of Discovery yet. But what makes you say Trek is a period piece and has a distinctive view of the future?

Star Trek is like watching Sherlock Holmes or Roman or Victorian romance adaptations. They all have a world look that is particular to them and invokes that imagery in the audience. The horse drawn carriage and fog of London for Holmes, the garb of Roman soldiers and their armies, and the flatscreen video screens and push button control panels of Star Trek. The recent adaptation of Ben Hur is visually very similar to the 1950s Ben Hur. Star Trek is a view of the future created back in the 1960s and antiquated as it seems, TNG and the series that followed honoured the series's roots and were logical extensions of the original series.

What's being done since JJ took over is a revisioning that fails to follow the continuity of the original timeline established in TOS through TNG, DS9 & Voyager. It's akin to giving technology to Holmes or Ben Hur that did not exist in those time periods.  Star Trek should be treated the same as those, like a period piece. What came before should be respected and heeded instead of being ignored. 

I'm all for cosmetic updates to bring Star Trek shows more visually in line with today's sensibilities but such changes should be done with restraint without changing the overall look, shape, and feel of the original series time period.

Darth, putting the look of tech aside, are you at all referring to a certain optimistic outlook that was not always at the fore, but was always part of Star Trek's fabric. I didn't enjoy the first season of the BSG reboot because finally someone made a grimdark Star Trek. No, it was its own thing. And making a grimdark, Zack Snyder-approved version of Star Trek just doesn't feel like the essence of Star Trek.

Time crystals are hilarious, but I want to overlook that. I know I'm willing to overlook the tech. I'd rather enjoy a show than figure out the convoluted retcons necessary to make everything work over decades and decades of content.

But 2 things keep me watching the show: 1. There is usually something just barely Star Trekkie enough to get me to watch another episode and 2. If you want to watch fun episodic space opera this is it until The Expanse comes back.

Neither reason is compelling is it?

And it isn't as if there's nothing compelling (IMO!) in the show: I'm interested in Airiam's prosthetic brain and Hugh's ideas of self. But the show seems to be more interested in retconning the Borg into this show. No spoilers, just an educated guess. I don't know if I even care, tbh.

I sat through the better part of that piece of shit Star Trek: The Motion Picture last week just to see some actual Star Trek. I'm rambling now, aren't I? Imma hit ctrl-I on every title and click Submit.

The technology disparity doesn't bother me. Simply because the original trek was a product of its time and it had to deal with the limitations of its time. I'm not saying they couldn't have gone retro but there's issues presented that would likely not play well with a modern audience and no, just having the Star Trek name doesn't guarantee success these days. 

So I've kind of accepted the whole idea that we're going to see levels of technology here that wouldn't have existed in the original Trek series. I think this season has done a better of job of retaining some level of continuity than the first season which was all over the place. This definitely falls more in line with the JJ-verse looks wise but your tolerance for that will vary. 

Outside of that, yeah that Klingon time crystals thing is silly within the context overall Trek continuity but overall Trek continuity is a fucking mess anyways so meh. Within the context of the overall story they are trying to tell, I'm willing to let them take me on the ride they want conduct. (I mean we had a time traveling suit powered by a time crystal right before we found out Klingons had a planet full of them so there's that..lol).

I don't know. I like the show. There's something about it that keeps me coming back. I like the characters. Even Michael and her retconned relationship with Spock works for me. Even if it sits pretty terribly in the overall Trek canon. I love Saru. Anson Mount as Pike is fantastic top to bottom and an Admiral showing reverence for the Enterprise is pretty much fan service chaff that doesn't speak to the focus of the show being the Discovery, IMO.

My only hope as things move forward is that Discovery starts to focus on smaller stories. The best episodes this season were the ones that gave some limelight to the crew members and had them doing "Star Trek shit" as I like to call it. I'm all fine with the AI shenanigans (and really is it any worse or more stupid than the parasites taking over Star Fleet in TNG?) but I'm wondering if Discovery will ever have its own "Cause and Effect" or "The Drumhead" or "The Inner Light"....

Well put Romier, I just got caught up again last night and wanted to post about how much I'm enjoying the season but it looks like you've said pretty much everything I was thinking of posting.  One other thing I'll say is how much the Spock/Michael relationship has grown on me.  I didn't love that they brought Spock in at first as it felt like a cheat code, but Micheal's character has been strong enough to still 'own the show'.  The show has also gone out of its way to make sure we all know she's the most important character in the narrative, so that probably helps.

It's a show/season with heavy time travel elements.  It's likely never going to be perfect, but I'm really enjoying the ride.

This last episode gives me hope - maybe they're gonna time travel this whole nonsensical continuity out of existence. :D That would make me happy.

Did like the look of the Enterprise bridge.

1 hour ago, OldDarth said:

This last episode gives me hope - maybe they're gonna time travel this whole nonsensical continuity out of existence. :D That would make me happy.

I'm not following this show at all, just couldn't get into it, but does this help?

I have a myriad of questions and plenty of issues with the finale but wow, that’s some seriously ballsy shit they pulled there.

The possibilities for S3 are....

the show becomes an Enterprise show with Pike as the captain.

Or 

Discovery is in the 32nd Century and dealing with the universe totally separated having to conform to existing continuity.

Im good with either frankly but the latter is super interesting to say the least and far more likely obviously.

Fantastic music, too.

Sloppy as hell but at least an attempt to fix continuity.  The number of shuttles et al was hilariously over done.

The casting for the Enterprise crew was superior. Would much rather stay with Pike next season.

It may not have been perfect, but I loved the final episode and really put a cherry on top of the season. 

Spoiler

It is interesting to think they could spin up a series with the Enterprise as well as Discovery.  Of course, they already have a Picard show in the works, so that likely won't happen.

Looking forward to next season either way.

Finally watched it, damn that was awesome from start to finish. Binging it, everything just clicked on all cylinders. Can’t wait for next season. And please give us a Pike enterprise series also.