LCVG

Star Wars: Episode VIII (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my seat. Catch you on the flipside, nerds!

and now  

I ordered the Lego BB8 this morning (double VIP points on SW sets), and I think I've resigned myself to getting the new Falcon as well.  It's different enough from the original one, and I've got a spa

STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII NOW FILMING

CAMERAS ROLL AND THE CAST IS CONFIRMED FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER OF THE STAR WARS SAGA.

Rey took her first steps into a larger world in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and will continue her epic journey with Finn, Poe, and Luke Skywalker in the next chapter of the continuing Star Wars saga, Star Wars: Episode VIII, which began principal photography at Pinewood Studios in London on February 15, 2016.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.

Star Wars: Episode VIII is produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman and executive produced by J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski. Joining the production crew will be some of the industry’s top talent, including Steve Yedlin (Director of Photography), Bob Ducsay (Editor), Rick Heinrichs (Production Designer), Peter Swords King (Hair and Make-Up Designer), and Mary Vernieu (US Casting Director). They will be joining returning crew members Pippa Anderson (Co-Producer, VP Post Production), Neal Scanlan (Creature & Droid FX Creative Supervisor), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Jamie Wilkinson (Prop Master), Chris Corbould (SFX Supervisor), Rob Inch (Stunt Coordinator), Ben Morris (VFX Supervisor), and Nina Gold (UK Casting Director).

Star Wars: Episode VIII is scheduled for release December 15, 2017.

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-viii-now-filming

tumblr_nxyz2sAFFy1ukoyd8o1_500.gif

The Skellig Islands footage in that video (from their shoot last December) is interesting, as I've been thinking about where VIII might begin. There's always a passage of time between each film, but if there is to be one between VII and VIII it will rob us of ever seeing the first conversation between Rey and Luke... and yet if it were to pick up immediately where things left off why even have an opening crawl which typically fills us in on events between episodes rather than just recapping what we already know?  They only shot there very briefly in December, so either not much will be seen of the exterior of that location or they just needed to do that early shoot to get consistent weather with the Force Awakens footage in order to expand on that one scene and have a plan to return there this year. 

Maybe they shot this just for the announcement? It's possible VIII picks up right where VII left off, if it does I imagine the crawl will be about Kylo/Hux/Phasma and the First Order escaping/retreating and starting similar to RoTJ with a shuttle departing a Star Destroyer then cut to Rey/Luke after their arrival/meeting with Snoke.

No Peter Mayhew in the cast list.

Maybe they shot this just for the announcement?

They definitely wouldn't have lugged themselves out to the Skellig Islands in the middle of December just to make this video. Again, I'd have to suspect they did their filming there two months ago just to to ensure consistency (weather..etc) if continuing that same scene. Honestly it is a bit weird if the movie literally picks up where Force Awakens ended, unless Johnson's really going to mess with structure. We do know from Kasdan's comments at least that Johnson is supposedly doing stuff we've never seen in a Star Wars movie before, and it's not like it has to be a rule that months or years pass between each movie, again it's just the issue of how not to make the crawl utterly redundant if it does pick up immediately after VII. 

No Peter Mayhew in the cast list.

It probably makes sense if it's Joonas Suotamo 100% this time. They were always very quiet about how much of Chewie in Force Awakens was Mayhew and how much was Suotamo. I could still imagine Mayhew being there for guidance though if needed.

They definitely wouldn't have lugged themselves out to the Skellig Islands in the middle of December just to make this video. 

FYI they shot there for VIII in September 2015.

I totally agree, they didn't go there just to shoot this tease, it's also possible this won't make it into the final film like a few shots from the VII teaser.

FYI they shot there for VIII in September 2015.

Ah yes, quite right. Forgot it was even longer ago! Force Awakens was there in late July of 2014, which still leaves me thinking they went back for VIII last year for the sake of some consistency with the weather while they had the chance. It would not shock me if the rest of the island scenes are in fact replicated on a set given the environmental issues of actually shooting there for an extended period of time.

He was probably doing it in any scene where Chewie was sitting. Mayhew can barely stand. Saw him at NYCC a few years back.

It probably makes sense if it's Joonas Suotamo 100% this time. They were always very quiet about how much of Chewie in Force Awakens was Mayhew and how much was Suotamo. I could still imagine Mayhew being there for guidance though if needed.

Yeah, wasn't he still using the cane at the TFA premiere? Hopefully he's not ill and he passed knowing maybe it was time to turn it over.

Laura Dern is an interesting addition.

The role Kelly Marie Tran ended up with was rumored to Gugu Mbatha-Raw and/or Bel Powley, there were rumors of adding an Asian actress to increase interest in the franchise in China.

Ah yes, quite right. Forgot it was even longer ago! Force Awakens was there in late July of 2014, which still leaves me thinking they went back for VIII last year for the sake of some consistency with the weather while they had the chance. It would not shock me if the rest of the island scenes are in fact replicated on a set given the environmental issues of actually shooting there for an extended period of time.

Yeah, a few locations have been rumored as possible stand in locations for the island, there was also a rumor they may attempt to go back this year.

The Skellig Islands footage in that video (from their shoot last December) is interesting, as I've been thinking about where VIII might begin. There's always a passage of time between each film, but if there is to be one between VII and VIII it will rob us of ever seeing the first conversation between Rey and Luke... and yet if it were to pick up immediately where things left off why even have an opening crawl which typically fills us in on events between episodes rather than just recapping what we already know?

It could be a flashback. 

Disney's finally releasing the actual untouched original trilogy remastered on BD? One can dream. ;)

That would be nice!

A new fan restoration project named "The Silver Screen Edition" popped up on the web recently, it's based off a single 35mm film print of the original and has taken the team over four years to complete.

http://moviemezzanine.com/the-fans-who-saved-star-wars/

I have the Negative One release. It's grainy and soft in places, but that makes it all the more like you're watching what it is, a rare print of the original. It's really quite charming to watch. They did a good job with it. A lot of TN1's scanned elements are outsourced to Harmy (they provided Jabba's Palace and Ewok celebration scans for his latest, amazing, release of Return of the Jedi).

I'm still convinced Disney and Fox will get together and do the right thing. Hopefully for the 40th Anniversary (especially now there is no new movie to fill that May celebration).