LCVG
NickC

Star Wars: Episode VIII (SPOILER FREE) Discussion Thread

Yep just got ours via Regal site.  that was painless :) The imax showing we are going to is almost filled already.

Thats crazy, I've never been to the theater I bought tickets at, but not many sold yet except about 6 in the center of each row, hopefully I choose decent seats lol.

The prices for this opening night fan event are wild, but whatever, i think you get popcorn and some other items.

It has been our favorite theater for about 5 years now. It was just renovated completely to have better Seats in Imax and recliners in every other theater including RPX. It is always sold out for opening nights of SW, Marvel and DC films.

Cool, never been there, we lived in Stony Brook for a bit and used to go the AMC 17 there, my wifes family is in Westchester County so it's mostly Port Chester or New Rochelle when we visit.

My old theater in Syracuse is doing the double feature on the IMAX screen and it's barely sold any tickets.

yeah they are doing that double feature at 3, which is why the first stand alone imax is at 9:10. It's barely sold any tickets so far. 

Hmmm, the Regal in times square has a 8 film marathon for $100. Ummm, no.

Star Wars Marathon

Regal E-Walk Stadium 13 & RPX
Wed. Dec 13 at 10:00 PM

Runtime: 18hr 7m

Experience all eight Star Wars saga films in one epic day including STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI. Fans will be treated with exclusive content, collectible cards, a commemorative blanket, and a special concession offer.

42 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

Woot ...scored tickets to see it at a Dolby Cinema.

Must avoid all trailers

Ditto, it has been my favorite movie-going experience. 

As with Episode 7 and Dunkirk, I'm off to the Science Museum for 15-perf 70mm, aka Real IMAX. Means it won't be until the 23rd, because I wasn't prepared to accept poor seats the weekend before, but I'll cope.

Whats the deal with Dolby Cinema? Is that an AMC experience where they remodel the IMAX theater with nicer seats/audio? 

I appreciate the muted responses to the trailer for those of us wanting to ignore it.

My venue of choice will be showing the film but I'm awaiting them to add daytime showings for the 14th. Think their web listing is buggy at the moment as midnight on the 13th is definitely the official UK release time as per other cinema booking availability. UK cinemas appear to confirm a 150min running time by the way.

18 minutes ago, NickC said:

Whats the deal with Dolby Cinema? Is that an AMC experience where they remodel the IMAX theater with nicer seats/audio? 

Dolby Cinema is Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision HDR (and premium seating I think, but that may be optional depending on the venue). 

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/platforms/dolby-cinema.html

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Dolby Cinema is Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision HDR (and premium seating I think, but that may be optional depending on the venue). 

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/platforms/dolby-cinema.html

Thanks, There's one in my general area, with another coming in the future, I'll have to check it out. I believe the IMAX theater i'm going to is 15/70.

If you can see it in Dolby Vision it'd definitely be worth it, sure. We have some Atmos venues in London but no Dolby Vision venues yet sadly (Dolby's HQ in Soho has it all of course, but it's not a public cinema). 

I'll be making a variety of bookings throughout December for 2D DCP, 2D DCP w Atmos and 15/70 IMAX (in that order. My venue of choice is always a good place to go first as it's generally an art house cinema and is in a very wealthy part of the city, so nerds tend not to think to flock there in droves :) ) . Once I know the times I'll probably make time to see it twice on the 14th as I did for TFA. 

• Epic Post 1

I will definitely see it at the Dolby Vision theater at some point, I have two showings opening night, IMAX 3D and then 2D, probably wont see it until later in the month after that.

You know what-I'm skipping this trailer.  If it shows up on another movie I make it to, so be it, but hoping to go into this one as fresh as possible. 

Still not sure on the plan for this one though.  Might actually wait until the week between Xmas/New Year's to avoid having to find opening night babysitters.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

If you can see it in Dolby Vision it'd definitely be worth it, sure. We have some Atmos venues in London but no Dolby Vision venues yet sadly (Dolby's HQ in Soho has it all of course, but it's not a public cinema). 

Thanks, I searched and found one only about a half hour away.  Booked for 3:30 in the afternoon on the 15th.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

You know what-I'm skipping this trailer.  If it shows up on another movie I make it to, so be it, but hoping to go into this one as fresh as possible. 

Good plan. You definitely don't want to see the part in the trailer where they bring Darth Vader back to life.

5 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Thanks, I searched and found one only about a half hour away.  Booked for 3:30 in the afternoon on the 15th.  

High Dynamic Range is not as advanced in theatres as it is in flat panels due to the nature of projectors having limited brightness, but it will still be a step up from the standard presentation. Looking forward to your thoughts.

The only thing I will say about the trailer, is it's very deceptive. Making everything seem one way, but if you read into it, its going another. 

24 minutes ago, JFo said:

Good plan. You definitely don't want to see the part in the trailer where they bring Darth Vader back to life.

If he's not resurrected on a yet another desert planet and seen with sand running through his gloved hands yelling "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" then I'm not even going to bother seeing the movie.