LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Daredevil Season 2 (18th of March)

Surprised we're not talking about this yet. Netflix have released two exciting trailers recently.

I never replied to the old thread, I took your advice, Dan, and watched the first four episodes as a trial and yes, I was pulled in enough to finish the rest.  I did quite like it...there were a few rough edges, the most notable being the actor that played the Kingpin was a bit hammy at times, but overall it was quite well done.  Again, this is coming from someone who literally could not give two shits about any of the superhero movies out there in the past ten years, so the fact that this was written in such a way to snare a skeptic like me is really saying something.  

Definitely looking forward to S2.

S2 Episode 3 may be one of my favorite episodes of tv. They nailed so many things correctly.

About half way point and this is gold. They took the punisher to a entirely different direction then I thought they would.

I haven't finished watching Jessica Jones yet (only watched 3 episodes so far). Does anything in DDS2 tie in to JJ that I would miss? I have enjoyed both shows, just need to find the time to watch, which is usually only an hour or two a night after my son goes to bed.

Nope, just a few character mentions here and there up until now.

I am up to Episode 10, and there have been so many great character interactions this season. Enjoy.

Finished. Ranks up there as one of my favorite seasons of television. Will go more in depth once I get some sleep :)

I agree with all of the sentiment here. Up to episode 7 so far. Additionally, I'm loving the composition of the series. The use of colors, framing, locations, etc, all absolutely fantastic. As good a live comic as we could hope for! Beautiful art direction!

I only have one small nitpick about the last episode

they built up this huge force of ninjas coming in quick cuts, they get to the roof and there are like 10 guys

. That's about the extent of it.

I enjoyed the whole reason a great deal. It's very focused and Matt, Elektra and Frank are very layered characters. As a consequence, given the thirteen hours the show has to breathe, it continues to make Daredevil one of the most engaging super hero properties out there on TV and in the cinemas. 

The mystic hocus-pocus does take me out of it all a little. I'm going to assume it's all there in the comics...etc, and I appreciate we're meant to accept this is all in the same world that has seen an alien invasion and visitations for a Norse god, but it does make things feel a little off balance as 90% of it is so grounded in a (very brutal) heightened reality. To the makers credit they seem to be aware of this problem however, so whilst being respectful to the source they do seem to reign the fantasy back as best they can to maintain the show's tonal sense of continuity.

Done S2! Exhausting to get through, but I mean that in a good way. So much going on, but I think they juggled it all very well.

(Potential spoilers...)

The violence is impressive this season, and although the body count is supposed to contrast Daredevil's method, I think it overpowered his philosophy to the point of marginalization. No matter how entertaining Daredevil's fights were, long into the season those who were willing to kill proved again and again that murder was the more effective choice. It got to the point that I couldn't help but feel numb to the wake of bruised attackers DD was leaving behind. It's not like he was leaving them behind for the police to pick up, he was just leaving behind deadly foes that could regroup and attack again another day. I know redemption is the theme, but few enemies are faced with making the choice, most are just fodder, fought and forgot. And the Hand for example, there is no redemption option, so if you aren't eliminating them your just pushing them down the line to cause trouble another day. Rinse & repeat. (Having no comic knowledge) It seems inevitable that DD will kill at some point, by choice or circumstance, but I'm not sure I could see it as a regular last-resort option in his repertoire.

A perfect contrast of what I'm getting at happened this season. Both DD and Punisher were backed into a corner to fight for their life, DD with the biker gang in the industrial building and Punisher in the prison. Both prevailed against the odds, but Punished didn't just win that battle, he eliminated the potential, and let's face it, certainty of future conflict with those enemies. Their days of hurting are done. DD only won the battle, and is now ensured more conflict. In fact, the more enemies DD engages the more retribution and violence he ensures for the future. Like a rising tide of shit coming his way.

Addendum to my earlier post,...

The police sirens were in the distance after the DD industrial building fight, so you can assume they were picked up. But there are still plenty of bad guys unchecked after being taken out. Anyway, the overarching point of redemption is still present. I think there needs to be some significant show of cases where redemption resulted, otherwise DD is ultimately ineffective as it currently stands.

Loved the prison stuff and liked the Punisher's part in everything.  My three issues with the season are these:

1) This isn't so much an issue as something that amused me.  At some point the show turned into a videogame.  A button masher videogame.

2) Fuck Foggy.  He's supposed to be an anchor for Matt in this show.  A character who makes the show more than just punching and kicking.  But instead he's a total dick now and I don't like him.  That breaks the show for me because his character is so important.  I understood when Foggy had concern for Matt's safety before.  But now he's become the exact opposite of a supportive friend.  And he's also just wrong about everything.  I don't buy his argument that Matt is the cause of all the bad things happening.  He's a great character whose role of "dick" in this season makes me wish the Punisher capped his ass.

3) Electra is a bleh character.  Despite what I said above, Foggy is a compelling character.  So is blondy.  So is old blind guy.  And so is the punisher.  But Electra is disposable.  Not terrible.  Just average compared to those other actors and their characters.

That's it.  I think it is a good show.  I love Jessica Jones and Luke Cage as well.  Great actors there too.