LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Sony announces the PS4 Pro - Releasing November 10th, 2016 $399.99

Oh you sumbitch!

I never get stuff shipped early!

I've only taken it out of the box, but it's solid piece of console, no "creakiness" in it's construction, something I remember from the the originals, and has a nice weight to it. I still kind of like the design of the original better

I'm picky over the way analog sticks feel, and the ones on the new controller have a really nice grippy feel to them. I loved the tackiness of the original controllers but those were the ones that peeled. Later revisions were so-so, but I'd say these are even better than all of them.

He contradicts himself a bit there, referring to it being similar to the c-chasis, then towards the end the launch PS4. General consensus does seem to favour it mirroring the c-chasis though which is good news for me. The power consumption improvements are welcome too, though rest mode is terrible. Also, I can no longer unsee Richard doing that same thing Trump does with his hand. 

Fan noise update. Stat!

Dan, overall this thing is the quietest PS4 I've used.

When I first turned it on, it was absolutely silent. I wasn't even sure if the thing was running. I tried a little Resogun and Infamous: Second Son, and it actually took awhile before I could get the thing heated up. In Second Son, I finally got the fans to engage. The fan does constantly adjust itself to whatever is needed, and it seems like it adjusts even more so than the older PS4s. I can also hear a similarity to the C-chassis, so I can kind of see what Richard means, but it in no way was it the ear piercing annoying sound that would bug me before.

I've only spent a small amount of time with it, but Im happy so far. Overall, as a piece of hardware, it feels like PS4 perfected.

Dan, overall this thing is the quietest PS4 I've used.

When I first turned it on, it was absolutely silent. I wasn't even sure if the thing was running. I tried a little Resogun and Infamous: Second Son, and it actually took awhile before I could get the thing heated up. In Second Son, I finally got the fans to engage. The fan does constantly adjust itself to whatever is needed, and it seems like it adjusts even more so than the older PS4s. I can also hear a similarity to the C-chassis, so I can kind of see what Richard means, but it in no way was it the ear piercing annoying sound that would bug me before.

I've only spent a small amount of time with it, but Im happy so far. Overall, as a piece of hardware, it feels like PS4 perfected.

Great to hear! Thanks.

First game I'll throw at mine to test fan noise will be Doom.

I don't have Doom, but I have the demo, and I that was one game that would really give my original PS4 a rough time. It's a perfect fan test, like you said.

I loaded it up on the Pro, and it didn't break a sweat. I could barely hear the thing. No joke, the little fan on the PSVR breakout box was louder, and "loud" really isn't a good word to use when describing that thing.

My dilly dallying has seen Tesco sell out again (they had them last night, but I thought I'd sleep on it). In fact it's not even on their website at all anymore so I'm back to waiting on a deal in future I suspect. It's certainly interesting to see Tesco, John Lewis and Amazon sell out their entire stock. Amazon at least dropped it back down to £332 to match the other two. 

Is the power cable on the PS4 Pro the same as the regular PS4? I am hoping to pick up a Pro today, and was wondering if I could just unplug my current Destiny model's cords and swap it out for the Pro without having to move the TV cabinet and crawl around behind it rewiring cables. I already switched the hdmi cable to a new one a month ago when I got my new TV.

does the pro come with a cable for copying the hard-drive of a regular ps4 to the new console? if not, what kind of cable is required? just a straight USB?

does the pro come with a cable for copying the hard-drive of a regular ps4 to the new console? if not, what kind of cable is required? just a straight USB?

It doesn't come with a cable as far as I'm aware. You could presumably clone the drive to a new one via a computer, but with two PS4s I believe it works over ethernet? I could be wrong. I removed all my downloaded games from my launch system (except for P.T) which only left 15GB of data so I personally just did a backup to a USB stick. I don't mind re-downloading the games I had on there as outside of Driveclub and Battlefront it was all smaller indie stuff so not as big.

Tesco had stock again so I've ordered one and it will be delivered to my local store tomorrow. I guess I should buy Ratchet and Clank while it is on sale on the PSN. Quietness awaits.

Richard mentions rest mode pulling around 58w of power. I don't use the feature where games are kept suspended in rest mode, and my UPS is showing 36w right now, and that's with my router and modem currently running. A quick google search shows my router runs at an average of 8w.

I wonder if DF also tested with the option to charge the dualshock while in rest mode. I believe disabling that in the menus reduces the standby power consumption a fair bit.

Mine was set to turn off after 3 hours, and that reading from my UPS was after 3 hours for sure.

I can't even get the screw out to remove the HDD. Need to find another screwdriver. Replaced PS4 drive without problem previously.