LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

-The ending is obviously trying to set up the start of ANH, with the plans getting to the Tantive IV, and Leia.  The question is though, what the hell was their ship doing in a battle zone in the first place?  Bail was obviously sending her to find obi-wan (which was a nice touch having Jimmy Smitts back), but to detour from that to help out with a dangerous battle?  Seems out of character.  Besides the fact, Vader obviously catches up with them right away, so the assertion that "we're on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan" makes no sense when HE JUST SAW YOUR SHIP TAKE OFF FROM THE BATTLE.  Besides, if they're on the way to Alderaan, why the hell would they be out of hyperspace at Tattooine? 

Maybe they should have sent Donald Trump to recover the plans instead.

Vader: I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.

Trump: I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t have any plans. Nobody knows where the plans – which, by the way, maybe were stolen by the Rebellion, maybe not. It could’ve been the Rebellion. It could’ve also been a thousand-pound Hutt in his bedroom who stole them, for all we know. The point is, there’s no way of knowing where the plans are, and I certainly didn’t see them. Believe me, everyone’s been asking me about the plans. The truth is, the Emperor’s been very unfair to me.

Vader: I want to die.

• Like 1

Maybe they should have sent Donald Trump to recover the plans instead.

Vader: I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.

Trump: I don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t have any plans. Nobody knows where the plans – which, by the way, maybe were stolen by the Rebellion, maybe not. It could’ve been the Rebellion. It could’ve also been a thousand-pound Hutt in his bedroom who stole them, for all we know. The point is, there’s no way of knowing where the plans are, and I certainly didn’t see them. Believe me, everyone’s been asking me about the plans. The truth is, the Emperor’s been very unfair to me.

Vader: I want to die.

That's well...uncanny...lol.

I'm probably in the minority here with a few folks, but I enjoyed it start to finish with nitpicks here and there (my biggest one being the whole diplomatic mission thing in episode 4).  My first two initial thoughts coming out of the film were

1.  Well, I guess that explains why Admiral Ackbar has a job.  That other guy is probably dead.

2.  Red 5 was a fat Asian guy.  I'm finally proud I get token representation.

I went into this with the expectation that this is going to be a different feeling Star Wars movie, which it is.  I was happy with it.  My favorite line is, "Are you kidding me? I'm blind!"

I saw it this afternoon too. I utterly adored it. Ended up crying in the cinema. Sure the two CG characters are rubbish, but I let that slide as necessary for the plot.

It's the nostalgia talking, I know. But dear Christ after the year we had I was so, so happy to spend a little over two hours pretending it was 1983 again and I was watching the original trilogy in the cinema for the first time.

• Like 3

Spoilers:

"Don't choke on your aspirations" = "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." Vader has had some cheek to him since day one.

We finally have the most perfect revisiting of a character that deserved so much more than Hayden Christensen and whatever the hell George was thinking 17 years ago. Vader is back in his rightful place of being villain numero uno in all of sci-fidom. (Suck it, Borg) The first time you see a lightsaber in this "Star Wars movie" is his and it's waaaaaaay at the end when that hallway gets flooded with its red light and then holy hell...

It's a nerd-gasm on the order of seeing dinosaurs for the first time in Jurassic Park or when Moses stumbles across the Statue of Liberty.

It's the nostalgia talking, I know.

Is it, though?

Three viewings later and I'm still nearly just as stoked as I was opening night. You can tell fans of the OT made this movie. I went in not even having watched so much as a trailer for the movie so I wasn't taking score on the movie's parity with the commercial, I was just there to let the movie wash over me - no expectations apart from hoping it was going to be better than Edwards's last movie. It was. Brother, was it better!

I came out from the first viewing on a high and thought this movie was the second best Star Wars movie, but after some reflection and putting some distance between the first blush, I think it's more the 3rd best. If anything, though, it makes my number 2, A New Hope, BETTER - That's a unique dynamic! I really enjoyed The Force Awakens, like a lot. In fact, TFA restored my faith in the knuckleheads in charge of this franchise. Having said that, it shouldn't surprise that I'd like The Force Awakens because I enjoyed it the first time I saw it 30-something years ago. However, Rogue One doesn't have nonsense like a Maz Kanata or a shock trooper scene and is utterly devoid of teddy bears - Even Rogue One's lowlights don't come close to that tomfoolery, so on up the ladder it goes, if only on the strength of having no Tarzan yell or burp jokes.

Rogue One is an exciting melding of the old and the new. It deserves to have an opening crawl - it's saga good.

Saw Gerera as a mirror of Vader, Ghost cameo, Guardian of the Whills possibilities, OG Red Five (but no Porkins!!!!!1!!1), the list goes on and on. Be thankful you don't have to hear me geek out like whichever unfortunate friend happens to wander too close to the event horizon of my fanaticism.

Yeah, Tarkin's render shows seams, but at some point if you go to the theater you need to look past the wires holding Peter Pan up or you're not going to enjoy the important stuff - You know, like you have to at some point in every sci-fi movie ever made, ever... Besides, Tarkin works a ton better than Snoke does, so chill.

Will probably see it again, at least once more and you better believe that pre-order is going in as soon as they announce the collector's edition. The gaudier the better.

SIDE NOTE: Donnie Yen has been criminally underused in the western hemisphere and we should all feel that regret and carry that regret with us forever.

I loved the part of the movie when the X wings took out the AT ATs. I can't believe I never thought of having those iconic toys of my childhood battle each other, and then seeing it happen on the big screen blew my mind!

• Like 1

Yeah, Tarkin's render shows seams, but at some point if you go to the theater you need to look past the wires holding Peter Pan up or you're not going to enjoy the important stuff - You know, like you have to at some point in every sci-fi movie ever made, ever...  Besides, Tarkin works a ton better than Snoke does, so chill.

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about there-I went in the second time looking for things they messed up, but I thought Tarkin looked fine.  It was great seeing him back on screen.

I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about there-I went in the second time looking for things they messed up, but I thought Tarkin looked fine.  It was great seeing him back on screen.

Strangely and interestingly, people see faces differently.  My wife does not perceive faces well.  If I wore a fake mustache, or put glasses on, it would fool her.  She'd be the worst witness at a crime scene ever.  She just does not have the ability or skill or perception to recognize faces well.  There is actually a disease where that is an extreme condition.  

My point is that people process faces with their brain differently.  So for some people, Tarkin might really look fine.  For others he looks like a special effect.  My boss thought he looked fine while I was so distracted.  It is how we're wired somehow.  Fascinating.

I didn't see any seams. It's the lighting and in particular the skin that didn't work for me.

Those are examples of the seams I was talking about. Regardless of technological advancements in the field, he doesn't look like an element naturally occurring in the scene.

It's a distraction, however, that must be overcome with 99% of CGI characters and at some point 100% of science fiction movies.

Like the compromise you have to make when the landspeeder enters Mos Eisley in the OT, it's obviously not an actually occurring element in the scene, but that's part of the language of modern storytelling.

Finally saw it yesterday and I really liked it, but man it could have gone the other way.  K2 stole the show for me and I really let a lot slide after he got me laughing.

Similar thoughts to what's been discussed, but...

Favourite bits:

- K2

- Vader's final scene

- The way they took out the shield

- The movie cleans up Ep IV a bit for me.  Already a GREAT movie (obviously), but the Death Star's flaw always seemed too convenient.  It's still a bit of a stretch that nobody figured it out, but if Galen is a genius, it's at least possible that he could pull it off.

- I'm fine with the lack of opening crawl, and loved the rings of the planet used as a nod to the crawl that wasn't there.

Biggest Complaints:

- Tarkin and Leia.  F right off.  Stick to reflections and shots from behind (or holograms as someone suggested above).  Impressive for CGI.  Absolute shit for the movie.

- Baze and Chirrut's final scene.  "But, the Force!"... sure.  Still felt a little like Jar-Jar killing a bunch of droids to me.  What even happened to the guys that were shooting at them?!?

- I had a pretty good feeling that none of the main characters would survive.  I think it's how it has to be, but  I always felt that the characters were essentially disposable.  I liked most of them well enough, but never really cared.  It would have taken some real magic for me to fully engage with these characters and the movie fell short.

Overall, I liked the movie.  Could have been much better.  I would love to know what they changed with those re-shoots.

Finally saw it yesterday and I really liked it, but man it could have gone the other way.  K2 stole the show for me and I really let a lot slide after he got me laughing.

Similar thoughts to what's been discussed, but...

Favourite bits:

- K2

- Vader's final scene

- The way they took out the shield

- The movie cleans up Ep IV a bit for me.  Already a GREAT movie (obviously), but the Death Star's flaw always seemed too convenient.  It's still a bit of a stretch that nobody figured it out, but if Galen is a genius, it's at least possible that he could pull it off.

- I'm fine with the lack of opening crawl, and loved the rings of the planet used as a nod to the crawl that wasn't there.

Biggest Complaints:

- Tarkin and Leia.  F right off.  Stick to reflections and shots from behind (or holograms as someone suggested above).  Impressive for CGI.  Absolute shit for the movie.

- Baze and Chirrut's final scene.  "But, the Force!"... sure.  Still felt a little like Jar-Jar killing a bunch of droids to me.  What even happened to the guys that were shooting that them?!?

- I had a pretty good feeling that none of the main characters would survive.  I think it's how it has to be, but  I always felt that the characters were essentially disposable.  I liked most of them well enough, but never really cared.  It would have taken some real magic for me to fully engage with these characters and the movie fell short.

Overall, I liked the movie.  Could have been much better.  I would love to know what they changed with those re-shoots.

We agree on everything

A solid Star Wars flick. Better than The Force Awakens which is hobbled by JJ Abrams chronic cinematic weak third acts.

CGI characters were OK. More distracting was Darth Vader - lacked Prowse's broad shoulders - too much slope. Missing cape chain was distracting too.

Put Rogue third after TESB & ANH.

Wish I could have connected to the film emotionally - none of the character's fates twigged at all. The film's biggest flaw.

Empire

A New Hope
Rogue One

Tie:

Force Awakens - sloppy 3rd act that starts with the StarKiller

Return of the Jedi - the Star Trek 3 of the franchise - half of it rocks, half of it is silly

A bottomless chasm of Death Star destruction

Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones 

I agree with Old Darth above (that phrase has a rather messianic tone, no?)

I think Rogue One, while certainly flawed, was a better film than TFA. I simply found the flaws in TFA more unforgivable and less distracting than the flaws in RO.

I agree with Old Darth above (that phrase has a rather messianic tone, no?)

I think Rogue One, while certainly flawed, was a better film than TFA. I simply found the flaws in TFA more unforgivable and less distracting than the flaws in RO.

Its the exact opposite for me. The reality is that after you strip back all of the fan service, Vader being Vader and A New Hope tie-ins - I didn't give even the slightest damn about any of the "heroes" in this story. I had no emotional investment in any of it. That's where The Force Awakens wins in my book. Yes, it's A New Hope 2.0 structurally but I gave a shit about Rey, Fin and I'm genuinely interested to see where they take Kylo Ren as a character. I forgot about Rogue One 15 minutes after I left the theater. 

It does interest me how opinions differ on this one.

Character, character, character makes up for any of Force Awakens' shortcomings as far as I'm concerned. I never much liked the rathtar bit in the middle of the movie, and Starkiller base being another planet destroying super weapon was a let down. I think a space battle to rival Jedi raging above the planet where the Han/Kylo scene and forest duel could still have played out precisely as we saw would have been all that the ending needed to be as the viewer's investment is in what's happening on the surface (everything else is secondary). Still, as it was, none of that ended up being intensely frustrating to me because I was interested in where the old characters were in their lives, and I loved the new characters. I suppose I am quite forgiving of its origin story and initial journey symmetry with the original movie as that actually seemed to honour how Lucas always envisioned the saga (Phantom Menace is not much different presenting a protagonist from a desert planet, who is robbed of a mentor, and a giant space structure is destroyed in a dogfight at the end). Its characters are nevertheless more emotionally complex than any had ever been in a prior Star Wars film.

Aside from some visual flourishes there is nothing in Rogue One that I find remotely engaging. A redundant story, dull characters, choppy editing, utterly forgettable music...etc. Rogue One looked like Star Wars, kind of sounded like Star Wars, but never felt like Star Wars to me, whereas Force Awakens managed to be all three and everything else that it kind of needed to achieve. 

It does interest me how opinions differ on this one.

Character, character, character makes up for any of Force Awakens' shortcomings as far as I'm concerned. I never much liked the rathtar bit in the middle of the movie, and Starkiller base being another planet destroying super weapon was a let down. I think a space battle to rival Jedi raging above the planet where the Han/Kylo scene and forest duel could still have played out precisely as we saw would have been all that the ending needed to be as the viewer's investment is in what's happening on the surface (everything else is secondary). Still, as it was, none of that ended up being intensely frustrating to me because I was interested in where the old characters were in their lives, and I loved the new characters. I suppose I am quite forgiving of its origin story and initial journey symmetry with the original movie as that actually seemed to honour how Lucas always envisioned the saga (Phantom Menace is not much different presenting a protagonist from a desert planet, who is robbed of a mentor, and a giant space structure is destroyed in a dogfight at the end). Its characters are nevertheless more emotionally complex than any had ever been in a prior Star Wars film.

Aside from some visual flourishes there is nothing in Rogue One that I find remotely engaging. A redundant story, dull characters, choppy editing, utterly forgettable music...etc. Rogue One looked like Star Wars, kind of sounded like Star Wars, but never felt like Star Wars to me, whereas Force Awakens managed to be all three and everything else that it kind of needed to achieve. 

Well said and we're of the same mind.

My basic issue with TFA, which I did watch 3 times just to give it a chance, is that in so many ways it's a re-skin of the original set of films. A deft re-skin to be sure, but to me that is a defect that I can't get around. IF such a thing bothers you, then this movie offers precious little in the way of ignoring it.

On top of that, while I really like Adam Driver as an actor, I never bought him as a villain here with any kind of gravitas, even as a villain-in-the-making. And to me, that makes the death of Han Solo at his hands nowhere near as momentous as it should have been, IMO.

Perhaps my forgiveness of the flaws of RO (and there are many) has a lot to do with this not being an official "Episode" and instead a "Story" - I always was drawn to that fact from the moment the project was announced. I didn't mind at all that this wasn't a grand space opera of a film, it never seemed to me to be intended as such. It's a smaller movie, and I liked that about it.

There's no question that these characters were not fully developed. I definitely feel more for Rey and Finn. But I was invested in the storyline in RO because to me it successfully plugged into the SW world, honoring it without aping it. I WAY preferred the more subtle nods to the SW universe. They successfully captured the ambiance of the SW world without the wholesale import of entire scenes, which I found took me out of TFA, tainting the emotional investment it had gained.

I like both movies, but I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to seeing Rogue One a second time way more than I was TFA.

I like TFA a LOT more after watching this.  This guy nails it.  Stay with it, it gets really good at the 4:00 mark.

Carlos.