LCVG

Music Production (Tools and Techniques)

9 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Dayem, you're giving me so many gems man. I'm so excited about all of this. Muchas gracias.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't use the built-in audio from the laptop (it'll suck).   1. It looks like the Zoom H5 is already a USB interface so you shouldn't need anything additional. But if you want to look f

I was starting to get annoyed with how my gear was arranged. Being as I have acquired new synths and never really planned for where they would go, it all expanded organically, but not with any foretho

So we moved into a new house and 3rd order of business was setting up the music room.  It still has a ways to go, but here it is at the moment.     I made some DIY sound panels usi

Posted Images

On 3/30/2021 at 11:23 AM, rustyjaw said:

Fascinating discussion. Thanks Keith for asking the question, and thanks Albert for sharing your detailed knowledge. 

So far so good. The improvements to our workflow (thank you) are really great. Those improvements, plus our new pop filter, and some new stuff I’ve learned about bus tracks, vocal thickening, brightening, and some further practice with compression, has got things going faster and sounding better than before.

Fun!

Speaking of compression, earlier this year I came across this guy's videos. He designs compressors and other audio processing gear, both analog hardware and software emulations. A lot of his videos are really excellent discussions of mixing techniques. But this particular one about how to hear compression is easily one of the best explanations of what compression does to your sound. This is specifically about drums, but I think it can be generalized to some extent to compression itself. And, of course the video also functions as an ad of sorts for his plug-in Novatron. I downloaded a demo over the weekend, as I'm moving into the mixing phase of a track, and I'll be damned, but the Novatron compressor sounds amazing.

I applied all the advice here as best I could for our most recent project. I have to say, it has been a pleasure to use this new more-efficient workflow.

If you're willing, and especially if you are a Taylor Swift fan, please listen to and provide feedback on this recording/mix we just made. It is a cover of Taylor Swift's Change. We love this song and think we've made a pretty cover here.

I had trouble getting rid of some sibilance. There was some distortion in the beginning that I couldn't get rid of (The levels were not hot so I don't understand it) And I'm not confident I have the levels right. The background is at -5db, but if I put it any higher it overpowers the vocals. Maybe my compression isn't quite right. I'm not sure.

Any feedback is welcome. This is a first pass.

On 4/10/2021 at 4:54 PM, foogledricks said:

I applied all the advice here as best I could for our most recent project. I have to say, it has been a pleasure to use this new more-efficient workflow.

If you're willing, and especially if you are a Taylor Swift fan, please listen to and provide feedback on this recording/mix we just made. It is a cover of Taylor Swift's Change. We love this song and think we've made a pretty cover here.

I had trouble getting rid of some sibilance. There was some distortion in the beginning that I couldn't get rid of (The levels were not hot so I don't understand it) And I'm not confident I have the levels right. The background is at -5db, but if I put it any higher it overpowers the vocals. Maybe my compression isn't quite right. I'm not sure.

Any feedback is welcome. This is a first pass.

It sounds great, Keith! I've never heard this song before, but she's got a good voice! I really know nothing about recording vocals, so I'm not sure I can help much. At various points, I think I can hear the room that she's singing in, room reverberation. It might compound that issue, but I would try adding reverb to the vocals to add space...the rest of the track is fairly spacious, so it might help blend the vocals and music together more. To expose my ignorance of vocals even more, I wonder if you'd considered recording another pass of the vocals to layer in. I think what I hear in a lot of pop music is a doubling of the vocals to make them sound thicker. It may be just a literal doubling of the same vocal track with a slightly different treatment. Not sure how much time and effort you want to devote to this, because that could be a rabbit hole.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, rustyjaw said:

It sounds great, Keith! I've never heard this song before, but she's got a good voice! I really know nothing about recording vocals, so I'm not sure I can help much. At various points, I think I can hear the room that she's singing in, room reverberation. It might compound that issue, but I would try adding reverb to the vocals to add space...the rest of the track is fairly spacious, so it might help blend the vocals and music together more. To expose my ignorance of vocals even more, I wonder if you'd considered recording another pass of the vocals to layer in. I think what I hear in a lot of pop music is a doubling of the vocals to make them sound thicker. It may be just a literal doubling of the same vocal track with a slightly different treatment. Not sure how much time and effort you want to devote to this, because that could be a rabbit hole.

Thank you!

I agree and also observed the room noise. That's disappointing because I thought my acoustics were good in that room, but clearly not. It is good to confirm though because now I know I need to mitigate that in the future.

Thickening the vocals is something I tried to do in a lot of ways. So many techniques for doing that, including your examples. You may have noticed a few spots where harmonies were used. Doubling up is a really good technique and I'm going to look into more of that. Thank you.

The most common criticism so far is that the background music overpowers the vocals. I'm working on that too.

Appreciate your time man.

Yeah I think it can be a bit more forward in the mix. I think a bit more aggressive compression to bring the voice forward in the mix and a bit of space, it sounds pretty dry right now.

Also a common technique used as is a bit of slapback delay. Listen to similar vocals isolated, you'll always hear there's delay going on. 

You can also experiment by duplicating the track and delaying one of them about 30-35ms see if you like the thickening.

Or you can go full ahead with a reverb but have a pre-delay of > 120ms or so.. this will avoid smearing the main dry vocal and the reverb tail will blend much easier in the mix. But really, you can just use a slapback delay - reverb is for more dreamy mixes.

For De-essing, there's plugins, but here's a technique:

A primer on compression: